Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by Zakia »

Zyxt wrote:
What's the text when you read one?
"You hear maniacal laughter in the distance."
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
amnizu

Post by amnizu »

First post but longtime Rogue (I grew up calling it Nethack cause that's the only version of Rogue I've ever known) player. I love the game but I have a question: how can an item be +2 +2? I thought there was traditionally only one.

Feature request(s):
The free version of Rogue in the app store has a feature that enables you to move the whole length of a long, twisty corridor when double tapping instead of stopping at the first corner. This may seem like a feature that caters only to the lazy, but even though I've only made it to level 17 (not for lack of trying), it does get kinda tiring to be tapping all over the screen, and it would be nice to lessen the number of taps required to get around.

Along the same line, Nethack allowed you to move to a square by clicking on it in the Windows version. I realize something like this might be tricky to implement alongside the double-tap quick navigation or the single-tap single-space movement, but I think it could speed up the game a little; I know I get frustrated when I've tapped to the other side of the floor to look at that little green square on the screen, only to find its 2 gold pieces instead of that food ration I desperately needed.

edit:

Also, just to polish things up a bit, how about instead of "you have injured the monster" and then another line telling you that you've defeated it, you only see the defeated message?
Zyxt

Post by Zyxt »

I love the game but I have a question: how can an item be +2 +2? I thought there was traditionally only one.
I asked the same question here. In D&D terms, the first number is added to the Attack roll, and the second is added to your damage roll.
Peace and love,
~B/Z
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

First number is your extra hit chance, second is extra damage.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
amnizu

Post by amnizu »

Remembered something else - I'd also like to be able to use an item like a wand of haste monster on yourself; you could do this in nethack by answering "." to the question "In which direction?"
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Bigdave wrote:CD,
Fantastic implementation of the original. Would love to see Angband or even Moria in the future.
Somethings I'd like to see in a future version... (may dilute the True Rogueness, but would add to the game nontheless)

1) Ability to "bless" objects (as seen in Ragnorak game)
Blessed Food -> Lasts longer than normal food
Blessed Identify Scroll -> Identifies all objects in the pack
Blessed Scroll of Remove Curse - removes all curses
Blessed items -> better than non blessed item
Etc etc I am sure that you can have some fun with hiding some more specials this way.

2) Like some other suggestions linking hunger to weight carried by the user - encourage lighter armour
3) Some experience for finding hidden doors and exploring every nook of each floor (encourage exploration rather than purely killing everything and descending to next level)
This also allows non-combat explorer type missions using rings of stealth and food to send monsters to sleep rather than having to load up on heavy weapons and armour.
4) Experience bonus for clearing floors of all monsters
5) Agree with other posts on traversing corridors with turns in them.
I'm sure more things will come up,
In the meantime I cannot wait for 1.3. Any news on availability yet?

Dave
Dave-

1) I like these ideas, some of them may be good enough to steal :D
2) I like this even more! Discourage the walking tank method of finding the heaviest armor possible :)
3) This is cool too, maybe you'd gain experience for any secret door or trap found!

Even more interesting is the thought of- how far can you make it in the dungeon by *avoiding* combat? If you have other ways to gain experience it may be interesting to see who can claim the amulet with the LEAST number of monster kills!

4) That's a tough one, only because new monsters spawn regularly :) There may be enough time between spawns to kill the last one and descend though. It'd be easy for me to tell if there are any monsters left on that floor and award accordingly. Maybe you gain experience for finding ALL traps or ALL secret doors too?
5) Your wish on following hallways has already been granted. In 1.3, hopefully Apple approves the update this weekend :D

amnizu wrote:First post but longtime Rogue (I grew up calling it Nethack cause that's the only version of Rogue I've ever known) player. I love the game but I have a question: how can an item be +2 +2? I thought there was traditionally only one.

Feature request(s):
The free version of Rogue in the app store has a feature that enables you to move the whole length of a long, twisty corridor when double tapping instead of stopping at the first corner. This may seem like a feature that caters only to the lazy, but even though I've only made it to level 17 (not for lack of trying), it does get kinda tiring to be tapping all over the screen, and it would be nice to lessen the number of taps required to get around.

Along the same line, Nethack allowed you to move to a square by clicking on it in the Windows version. I realize something like this might be tricky to implement alongside the double-tap quick navigation or the single-tap single-space movement, but I think it could speed up the game a little; I know I get frustrated when I've tapped to the other side of the floor to look at that little green square on the screen, only to find its 2 gold pieces instead of that food ration I desperately needed.

edit:

Also, just to polish things up a bit, how about instead of "you have injured the monster" and then another line telling you that you've defeated it, you only see the defeated message?
Noticed you had your question on the +2, +2 already- that is correct, the first number is "to-hit" and the second is a damage bonus when you hit.

Hallway pathfinding has been coded into the 1.3 submission that we gave to Apple last night- see the new posted announcement at the top of the forum for more info on that. It does work *very* well. I like it a lot :) I think the move-to-square by clicking it works great on a full screen device with a mouse, but not so much on such a small screen with fat fingers :lol: Especially when fully zoomed in you can only see 4 or 5 squares around you. We'll see how you like the hallway following and d-pad before trying a third scheme!
preuve

Post by preuve »

I haven't gone down too many levels but I'd vote for more devious monster AI. :twisted:

When I had clairvoyance, I've noticed that it's possible to take advantage of monster's straight line approach to trying to find you. I'd love to see smarter monsters being able to navigate around bends, secret doors and hunt you down. Especially true if the monster is a unique (when/if they get added).

I must have a death wish, I am barely staying alive as it is with the ring of aggravate monster and need all the tricks to stay alive.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

preuve wrote:I haven't gone down too many levels but I'd vote for more devious monster AI. :twisted:

When I had clairvoyance, I've noticed that it's possible to take advantage of monster's straight line approach to trying to find you. I'd love to see smarter monsters being able to navigate around bends, secret doors and hunt you down. Especially true if the monster is a unique (when/if they get added).

I must have a death wish, I am barely staying alive as it is with the ring of aggravate monster and need all the tricks to stay alive.
If you have a death wish we can surely accommodate it! Monsters are currently not too bright, and can potentially get confused (not the "potion" type of confused, but hung up when trying to reach you). Once we get a bit more time I might be able to adapt my fast-mode hallway following code (in 1.3) to the monster's pathfinding to give them a boost :twisted:

There's a few more details about monsters and difficulty that I won't spoil right now, but you will see some of it when version 1.3 is approved! :D
preuve

Post by preuve »

CommanderData wrote: Once we get a bit more time I might be able to adapt my fast-mode hallway following code (in 1.3) to the monster's pathfinding to give them a boost :twisted:
That is evil. I like it!

By the way, I wanted to also drop in and say that I can see the popularity 'bar' in the App Store is nearly full when I search for Rogue Touch in the Australian store. It was a few bars about a week ago, so it looks like things are picking up!
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

I've got a new idea: Starting in a small town.

You can get some gold and the starter mace from your family, and then you can buy things with starting money before entering the dungeon.

Avoids startscumming, and gives you the option to use or not use your bow. It just seems to me like some people would just love the free money a unused bow gives, and mabye some would like startscumming for staves/rings/ect.
~Miguel