Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by CommanderData »

LordGek wrote:
Detzlink wrote:By the way, It would be interesting that you could touch the names on the Hall of Fame and show the Rest in Peace screen, that way we could see the amout of gold or the future amount of turns without getting the Hall of Fame main screen too cluttered.
Nice one! I like the idea of keeping the main entries no more than maybe two lines but then having more details when an entry is selected like turns, ending gold, and maybe (like in Shiren) what you had equipped at the end (weapon, armor, rings).

I think we'll need to show these basic scoring stats on the main Hall of Fame screen just because it makes it quick and easy to compare with other runs in the list. Right now I have a test HOF screen in my simulator that uses two lines for each entry. That's about as cluttered as I want to get with it! Haven't decided if it will be worth it to save individual equipment lists for posterity or not... Maybe I'll be nice and post a teaser screenshot later- have to go get some dinner first :D
davidonabus

Post by davidonabus »

I'm glad to see that the running (stopping correctly at doors/intersections) is going to be fixed in 1.2 ! I can't wait.

One feature request that I have is for the game to identify all of your items when you die. I believe the original Epyx PC Rogue had this feature. Or maybe it's only in Angband? I can't remember.. but it's very nice to see what items you may have had (unidentified) that maybe could have saved your butt if you had used them.

Anyhow.. I LOVE this game! I purchased it last night and I haven't stopped playing it. BRAVO!

David
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

davidonabus wrote:I'm glad to see that the running (stopping correctly at doors/intersections) is going to be fixed in 1.2 ! I can't wait.

One feature request that I have is for the game to identify all of your items when you die. I believe the original Epyx PC Rogue had this feature. Or maybe it's only in Angband? I can't remember.. but it's very nice to see what items you may have had (unidentified) that maybe could have saved your butt if you had used them.

Anyhow.. I LOVE this game! I purchased it last night and I haven't stopped playing it. BRAVO!

David
I don't recall if the EPYX Rogue did that or not... it's been a while. *It is* however, an interesting suggestion! We might be able to make that fit into the death sequence in a cool way at some point. Thanks for the feedback and we're really glad that you're enjoying it a lot!! :mrgreen:

Version 1.2 is still in Apple's hands, but I have a funny feeling we'll be seeing it tomorrow ;)
kennfusion

Post by kennfusion »

so I know you are adjusting the super weapon %, but quite frankly I am not finding all that many levels with that "special" feeling. As I said in another thread I had my first one in about 4-5 games just earlier and I fell through a trap door 3 steps in. Oh well....heh

So many of us have been playing RPGs for so long that we are kind of totally into the "ohhh shiny". I want super weapons and armor. I want things that are cool and different. Other wise I am really just playing for more enchant weapon/armor scrolls. That gets boring.

But balance is important too, if the game is not challenging, then we all get bored and stop playing.

So expand the idea of super items so that they can have drawbacks also. You can either do this by adding to the cursed/normal/magic/super role check by adding a level between magic and super or if it roles super you can then have it check to see if it is pure super or part super.

So perhaps you do find that blessed 2 hand sword on level 4, too bad it is a blessed 2 hand sword of starvation or blindness or weakness to trolls or random teleportation or random acts of violence (damages you randomly at times) or narcolepsy (that could be a lot of fun), or create traps (randomly creates traps in rooms as you move through a dungeon).

Armor the same way. I would love to find some magical armor of Clairvoyance or slow digestion, but it could have drawbacks also.

This is not so different than rings. The ring of regeneration is one of the best items to find early, and yet it makes you hungry fast. You have to use it strategically.

The more I think about it, the more fun it really sounds. Sure you have this great weapon, but you have to use it strategically. It would probably add a lot of interesting fun to the game.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

kennfusion wrote:so I know you are adjusting the super weapon %, but quite frankly I am not finding all that many levels with that "special" feeling. As I said in another thread I had my first one in about 4-5 games just earlier and I fell through a trap door 3 steps in. Oh well....heh

So many of us have been playing RPGs for so long that we are kind of totally into the "ohhh shiny". I want super weapons and armor. I want things that are cool and different. Other wise I am really just playing for more enchant weapon/armor scrolls. That gets boring.

But balance is important too, if the game is not challenging, then we all get bored and stop playing.

So expand the idea of super items so that they can have drawbacks also. You can either do this by adding to the cursed/normal/magic/super role check by adding a level between magic and super or if it roles super you can then have it check to see if it is pure super or part super.

So perhaps you do find that blessed 2 hand sword on level 4, too bad it is a blessed 2 hand sword of starvation or blindness or weakness to trolls or random teleportation or random acts of violence (damages you randomly at times) or narcolepsy (that could be a lot of fun), or create traps (randomly creates traps in rooms as you move through a dungeon).

Armor the same way. I would love to find some magical armor of Clairvoyance or slow digestion, but it could have drawbacks also.

This is not so different than rings. The ring of regeneration is one of the best items to find early, and yet it makes you hungry fast. You have to use it strategically.

The more I think about it, the more fun it really sounds. Sure you have this great weapon, but you have to use it strategically. It would probably add a lot of interesting fun to the game.
Things like this make me glad I decided to host a discussion forum instead of trying simple e-mail support. It's provided a great vehicle for new ideas and feedback, as well as giving you all a chance to help each other a bit...

The thought of having a great weapon or piece of armor that has an unfortunate side effect is pure genius! Imagine a super sword that unfortunately aggravates monsters... Or a ring of clairvoyance that makes you blind while wearing it, Or armor that negates monsters special abilities on you, but is very chafing and causes damage to you randomly while walking around in it :mrgreen:

This stuff wouldn't be easy to implement, but it could make things very interesting :lol:

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that, I think this is definitely worth pursuing. I guess the question is, should the superweapons and these permutations get moved completely into "advanced" mode? Or maybe a few options stay in "classic", and we put a ton of it into the advanced mode.
kennfusion

Post by kennfusion »

Now that I think about it, and have been reading this board, I think there is a problem with the idea of 2 different games, Classic Rogue and Advanced Rogue. What I would imagine would be a better option for you is to have a game options screen after you enter your name. Imagine a screen that looked like:

Classic Rogue
On (grays out all other options below)
Off (allows you to select from below)

Super Weapons
Low
Med
High

Super Weapon Drawbacks
On
Off

Vault Frequency
Low
Medium
High

Monster Difficulty
Low
Med
High

Hunger
Low
Med
High

There are a lot of things you could make options, AND, these could all play into your scoring system as score modifiers. So take monster difficulty, if the default is medium, perhaps low means -50% score, but high means +25% score (just random numbers off the top of my head). This would make classic rogue the default scoring system and all changes to classic rules would be modifiers. Then on the global high score list just have a code for each so your options would be seen.

This also greatly increases the playability of a single game without having to think of it as two separate games.
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

CommanderData wrote:
kennfusion wrote:so I know you are adjusting the super weapon %, but quite frankly I am not finding all that many levels with that "special" feeling. As I said in another thread I had my first one in about 4-5 games just earlier and I fell through a trap door 3 steps in. Oh well....heh

Things like this make me glad I decided to host a discussion forum instead of trying simple e-mail support. It's provided a great vehicle for new ideas and feedback, as well as giving you all a chance to help each other a bit...

The thought of having a great weapon or piece of armor that has an unfortunate side effect is pure genius! Imagine a super sword that unfortunately aggravates monsters... Or a ring of clairvoyance that makes you blind while wearing it, Or armor that negates monsters special abilities on you, but is very chafing and causes damage to you randomly while walking around in it :mrgreen:

This stuff wouldn't be easy to implement, but it could make things very interesting :lol:

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that, I think this is definitely worth pursuing. I guess the question is, should the superweapons and these permutations get moved completely into "advanced" mode? Or maybe a few options stay in "classic", and we put a ton of it into the advanced mode.
I LOVE THIS KIND OF SHOOT! My favorite aspects of roguelikes are the tough decisions. I mean whether to use the original mace or your SUPER MEGA +5/+5 Slayer of All Things is a no brainer, while the above items will definitely cause you to stop and think for a bit before blindly switching over to. Does Rogue already have a Ring of Teleportation? This was a classic bit of head scratching since it's annoying to be sure and aggravating if cursed BUT it also can prove useful to evade a nasty situation although you never really know WHEN it will kick in.

This being said, as cool as it is I'm thinking this would probably all go into the advanced box. Another interesting roguelike to look to for interesting risk/reward items was the Atlus cult hit Baroque. Here are a couple of zany items that come to mind:

-Some super wonder armor (best def rating in the game, I believe) that the player would automatically remove the second a baddy came into sight. The trick being the need to somehow get the item cursed so you couldn't automatically have it pop off when you really needed it.

-The weapon box that is guaranteed to have a decent random weapon inside but you'll lose half your hp if you open it.
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

I again, as a broken record, am hoping we'll have at least 2-3 preset options like:

Classic (all advanced stuff off)
Epic (frequent super weapons but all other options are cranked toward maximum difficulty)
Enhanced (all advanced options but at pretty mid levels)
Custom (allows the user to pick and choose the bits)

The idea being that there would be a common reference point for some global score boards for the different preset configurations (Classic, Epic, Enhanced).

Realize that my "Epic" and "Enhanced" are just things off the top of my head, I leave it to CD and others to come up with more viable standardized configurations.
kennfusion wrote:Now that I think about it, and have been reading this board, I think there is a problem with the idea of 2 different games, Classic Rogue and Advanced Rogue. What I would imagine would be a better option for you is to have a game options screen after you enter your name. Imagine a screen that looked like:

Classic Rogue
On (grays out all other options below)
Off (allows you to select from below)

Super Weapons
Low
Med
High

Super Weapon Drawbacks
On
Off

Vault Frequency
Low
Medium
High

Monster Difficulty
Low
Med
High

Hunger
Low
Med
High

There are a lot of things you could make options, AND, these could all play into your scoring system as score modifiers. So take monster difficulty, if the default is medium, perhaps low means -50% score, but high means +25% score (just random numbers off the top of my head). This would make classic rogue the default scoring system and all changes to classic rules would be modifiers. Then on the global high score list just have a code for each so your options would be seen.

This also greatly increases the playability of a single game without having to think of it as two separate games.
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

I pretty much agree all with what y'all have said. =)

BTW, since we are considering giving gold a new use, I think we cause a small problem. Right now gold serves as a excellent way to throw off players who use magic maps or the G##### secret. It's very misleading, which I believe is good.

Say, you've half explored a level but know there is a item on the other half of the screen. You go there and waste a bunch of food, only to find gold. This is a inconvenience greedy "Ooh, shiny" players may face. I actually like this, since it's a judgment you have to make, and more judgments = more fun.

So, is it possible to replace it with something like lodestones (I forgot where this was from, but it was a cursed item you automaticaly equip. It weighs you down) or coal? Thanks.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
kennfusion

Post by kennfusion »

All this talk actually inspired me to grab the latest release of Angband and mess around with a little bit today (instead of working...sigh).

Some interesting things in the Jan 09 release....but most interesting is that scrolls and potions now have a chance to be present in stacks. Which is really kind of different but cool so far.

Some other ideas for possible drawbacks to super items:
Gold drain (as if gold was powering the weapon) which would be neat if gold is part of scoring.
Less inventory space.
Blocks reading scrolls or using potions while equipped.
Blocks use of staffs and wands while equipped.