NOOB Questions

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
DanJS

NOOB Questions

Post by DanJS »

Hi all,

Loving the game, so far my best is only down to a meager 13th level with a pretty good character that feinted from lack of food and got pounded by an Ogre. :evil:

One question I have is regarding secret doors, are there any rules of thumb for searching for them? Obviously dead end corridors, but what about general level layout? I looked on the Wikipedia page and it stated that the original followed a common design of 9 rooms in a 3x3 with some rooms being replaced by dead-ends and such. Any tips?

Also, does every action count as a 'turn' and effect how fast I tear through food? For example, if I'm looking for a secret door and just hold down the search for 10 tries am I screwing up my food management?

Thanks!

-dan
Jim2wheels

Re: NOOB Questions

Post by Jim2wheels »

Hi Dan,

There are no hard and fast rules for finding secret doors, but the 3x3 9 room tip is a good one. Generally speaking you will eventually get a feel for where a door might be. Personally i press the search button 4-5 times and move 3 squares along after each search (maximising search radius whilst minimising food consumption :) ) if i have looked through 5 rooms already i tend to not bother searching for hidden doors, because each search DOES count as a turn thus you will become hungry sooner! A good tip for food management is to wait until it says you are feint before consuming any food, you may get caught on the back foot once in a while, but i have never died from lack of food/attacked whilst feinting using this method. Mushrooms are good too if you come across any!

Hope this helps.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Jim2wheels wrote: <snip!> ... if i have looked through 5 rooms already i tend to not bother searching for hidden doors ... <snip!>
Unless the developers of this game have changed the rules from older versions of Rogue, you are guaranteed 6 rooms per level, so if you only find five, you're missing one. I'm not sure, however, if a maze counts as part of the 6 (anyone back me up on that one?). In Rogue v3 and v4, mazes didn't exist, so you knew it was 6 actual rooms.
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Nighthawk wrote:
Jim2wheels wrote: <snip!> ... if i have looked through 5 rooms already i tend to not bother searching for hidden doors ... <snip!>
Unless the developers of this game have changed the rules from older versions of Rogue, you are guaranteed 6 rooms per level, so if you only find five, you're missing one. I'm not sure, however, if a maze counts as part of the 6 (anyone back me up on that one?). In Rogue v3 and v4, mazes didn't exist, so you knew it was 6 actual rooms.
Thats interesting to know i often wondered what the minimum was. From what i can gather mazes/dead end pathways do count as rooms in the 3x3 grid like pattern that the game uses. Also the 5 room thing is based on the assumption that you would have discovered at least half the rooms and it was probably not economical to waste turns looking for hard to find rooms. Like i said previously it soon becomes obvious which rooms are worth searching in i.e. small rooms are worth searching much more than bigger rooms. Of course nothing is for sure, you may miss the room that holds multiple items trying to be economical! 8-)
preuve

Post by preuve »

I think searching checks all 8 squares around you. When you search along a wall, don't check every square. Move two steps along and search again.