Rogue vs Moria/Bands

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
kennfusion

Rogue vs Moria/Bands

Post by kennfusion »

There are lots of discussions around Rogue Touch that often talk about Rogue in comparison to Moria and the *Band games. Primarily I have always been an Angband player. I still play Angband on a regular basis and am currently playing the Jan 09 build.

First I think it is important that although there are many obvious differences in scope between Rogue and some of the early rogue-types, there is another really significant difference: Rogue is first and foremost about turn management. Angband is first and foremost about inventory management. This makes these related and seemingly similar games so completely different.

Angband has 6 basic stats, HP, MP, Burden, 15 skills, 24 resists, and 18 other bonuses you can get for your character just as perm bonuses. Food and light are more about how much to carry and what kind to carry then if you can carry them at all. With so many possible bad things that can happen to you the deeper you go, the more you have to be protected at all times. This necessitates that you have to carry all sorts of items on you, and with fire, acid and sound's ability to destroy items in your inventory you have to make sure you always have enough of anything you would need (like ways to phase door and teleport). Items are plentiful because it is hard to identify everything fast enough. Instead of items being rare, items are everywhere, but it is finding upgrades, and the right upgrades that is the key...and you can spend a lot of time on the same levels going up and down stairs trying to do that. Rarely are you ever worried about food or turns though, because they are still in the game more to take up inventory slots and weight burden then anything else.

Just things to keep in mind....
preuve

Re: Rogue vs Moria/Bands

Post by preuve »

I agree with you that Rogue is a significantly different game to *band. My first experience with roguelikes was with Moria and then Angband. I think I still play Rogue Touch like a mini Angband...

Maybe I am very lucky because I haven't had a recent game that there was any shortage of food. I think the last time I was running lowish on food was a much earlier version (1.1?) of Rogue Touch. So generally, I've been able to take as much time on levels as I feel like.