Obscure Items and creative uses

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Pugachov

Obscure Items and creative uses

Post by Pugachov »

Since the item FAQ is still pending I thought we should have a place to trade notes and ask questions about unusual items or creative item usage. There may be spoilers here so if you want to learn everything first hand read no further. For example, someone else posted in these forums that he threw food at an ice monster- the ice monster ate it and went back to sleep.

Now some questions Specifically I found a wand of "teleport to". I tried zapping monsters and myself but no luck. It is now the problem of the troll that killed me. Can anyone explain how to properly use this wand ?

The staff of striking seems to work if wielded as a weapon but I could not get it to zap anything- any guesses as to what kind of damage this does compared to a mace?

I understand that the wand of negation will prevent a troll from regenerating - has anyone found other uses for it ?

The game loves giving out haste monsters wands- any use for these besides hasting the enemy ? I tried zapping myself on the rebound but no go ?

Casting enchant armor on cursed armor allows you to remove the cursed armor even if the armor is still in the negative.

what else do you got ?
Zakia

Re: Obscure Items and creative uses

Post by Zakia »

Pugachov wrote:Since the item FAQ is still pending I thought we should have a place to trade notes and ask questions about unusual items or creative item usage. There may be spoilers here so if you want to learn everything first hand read no further. For example, someone else posted in these forums that he threw food at an ice monster- the ice monster ate it and went back to sleep.

Now some questions Specifically I found a wand of "teleport to". I tried zapping monsters and myself but no luck. It is now the problem of the troll that killed me. Can anyone explain how to properly use this wand ?

The staff of striking seems to work if wielded as a weapon but I could not get it to zap anything- any guesses as to what kind of damage this does compared to a mace?

I understand that the wand of negation will prevent a troll from regenerating - has anyone found other uses for it ?

The game loves giving out haste monsters wands- any use for these besides hasting the enemy ? I tried zapping myself on the rebound but no go ?

Casting enchant armor on cursed armor allows you to remove the cursed armor even if the armor is still in the negative.

what else do you got ?
Teleport to: Really niche, some things arn't supposed to be useful =P. You could use it in a bear trap...
Staff of Striking: It does more damage than a staff strike.
Negation: Stopping ice monsters from freezing you, Aquators rusting, ect.
Haste: No positive use.
Cursed armor: It was like it in the original. I think it makes it so that it's easier to lift curses... It takes forever to get remove curse scrolls =P

I'm helping Jessica and CD with the Faq, I sent in a concrete copy of 90% of the stuff. Some are still missing, and they need to check over a few things.

They are undoubtedly very busy, so you may have to wait it out. In the mean time, PM me any questions?
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Zyxt

Post by Zyxt »

Wait, I thought Teleport To teleports the monster to you?
Peace and love,
~B/Z
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Zyxt wrote:Wait, I thought Teleport To teleports the monster to you?
It should! If you're standing right next to a monster it'd have no obvious effect of course. If someone sees a "Teleport To" staff/wand that does not bring a monster that's several squares away right over to you let me know. I think Zakia was suggesting you could use it while stuck in a bear trap to bring a monster over to you, rather than waiting a few turns for him to reach you naturally.

I can think of another use- bring an ice monster or dragon into close proximity so it stops using the cold or fire ranged attacks! But then you're stuck standing next to a dragon, so that has drawbacks too!

FAQ pages are coming... version 1.3 has hit a few bumps, and will be submitted to Apple soon. Then we'll be on site updates full time until the release is approved. :D
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

CommanderData wrote:
Zyxt wrote:Wait, I thought Teleport To teleports the monster to you?
It should! If you're standing right next to a monster it'd have no obvious effect of course. If someone sees a "Teleport To" staff/wand that does not bring a monster that's several squares away right over to you let me know. I think Zakia was suggesting you could use it while stuck in a bear trap to bring a monster over to you, rather than waiting a few turns for him to reach you naturally.

I can think of another use- bring an ice monster or dragon into close proximity so it stops using the cold or fire ranged attacks! But then you're stuck standing next to a dragon, so that has drawbacks too!

FAQ pages are coming... version 1.3 has hit a few bumps, and will be submitted to Apple soon. Then we'll be on site updates full time until the release is approved. :D
I could also suggest using a speed potion and then using teleport to on a venus flytrap, You'll get the initiative and kill it fast without wasting a few turns of speed.

I forgot to mention things you can't find a use can be thrown for cheap and sometimes deadly ammunition. EX: Paralysis bottle.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Scrolls of Vorpalise weapon?

Okay I got 1 and "upgraded" my +5 2H Sword, made it lvl 26 and found another Vorpelise weapon scroll, used it and my sword disappeared in a cloud of smoke.
I take it then that you can only upgrade a weapon once this way. Needless to say I did not make it out of lvl 26 but did manage to collect the amulet. Then died trying to punch a Jabberwock to death...
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Derrick wrote:Scrolls of Vorpalise weapon?

Okay I got 1 and "upgraded" my +5 2H Sword, made it lvl 26 and found another Vorpelise weapon scroll, used it and my sword disappeared in a cloud of smoke.
I take it then that you can only upgrade a weapon once this way. Needless to say I did not make it out of lvl 26 but did manage to collect the amulet. Then died trying to punch a Jabberwock to death...

Derrick, that's correct- Vorpalizing a weapon more than once destroys it! A devious little trap that was part of the original rogue... I think vorpalize actually appeared in the EPYX offshoots in the mid 1980s (Including the Atari ST version which inspired us)!

That type of thing ties into our risk-reward discussions from last week. There will probably be a number of items coming that have neat benefits, but nasty drawbacks too... :mrgreen:
swhatley

Post by swhatley »

CD,

Wow, that potion of demolition packs a punch! Burrrrrrrp! Is that one of your inventions? :) If so, nice touch! I don't remember it in the original Rogue.

Thanks,
Steven
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

swhatley wrote:CD,

Wow, that potion of demolition packs a punch! Burrrrrrrp! Is that one of your inventions? :) If so, nice touch! I don't remember it in the original Rogue.

Thanks,
Steven

Yes, that one is an item we made up! Not part of the original Rogue... it's a fun item to toss into a party-room as long as you don't mind blowing up a lot of the treasure in there! :D