Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
lr100

Re: Bug Reports

Post by lr100 »

I have had the game crash on me twice so far (in a lot of usage so not too bad). Both times the crash happened right after moving down the stairs to a new level. Both times I resumed the game and it had me right where I left off so not a big problem other than the crash. Appears to be right after saving or starting a new level.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

lr100 wrote:I have had the game crash on me twice so far (in a lot of usage so not too bad). Both times the crash happened right after moving down the stairs to a new level. Both times I resumed the game and it had me right where I left off so not a big problem other than the crash. Appears to be right after saving or starting a new level.
Hi, lr100! Can you answer a couple of extra bits of info for me:

What device- iPod, iPod 2nd gen, iPhone or iPhone 3G?
What firmware level are you on?
Have you jailbroken your device?

I've seen a few reports of this, but it's tough to track down what's causing it. As you said, the saved game is there for you to pick up where you left off, but it is an annoyance that I'd like to stamp out! If you can fill in those blanks for me it might help me get close :geek:

Thanks!
shadowspawn

Post by shadowspawn »

Two crashes today when changing levels on stairs.

iPhone 3G
Firmware 2.2.1 (5H11)
not jailbroken
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

shadowspawn wrote:Two crashes today when changing levels on stairs.

iPhone 3G
Firmware 2.2.1 (5H11)
not jailbroken
Shadowspawn, thank you for the report! I've gotten a few PMs from private testers about this too, thought it was squashed a while ago. It's such a rare event though, I can sit here playing all day in the debugger and never see it! :evil: We're getting close though. As you said, it's only when changing floors on the stairs, so it appears to be in the code that lays out a new level.

Fortunately you only lose a a bit of progress and not the whole game when it occurs... but either way we hope to eliminate this problem once and for all in the next revision! :mrgreen:
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

I found CD's special little toy and am appreciating the extra square of vision A LOT.

Except there's a problem that pops up sometimes.

______
........|
........|
......P|D|S
---------

PDS: Player, (secret)door, snake.

With the extra vision I can see a snake in a hidden corridor, making the secret door less... secret.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Ohhh, that's a good one Zakia! Of course at the moment as we discussed in another thread, sometimes knowing the (supposedly) secret door is there is not even enough :mrgreen: I think we should be able to fix that little visual glitch!
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Fix me: Trap in front of a door.

Can it be possible to remove all traps in general from squares adjacent to doors? All traps are extremely annoying outside a door or infront of a secret one.

EDIT 5:00 CENTRAL TIME: When you search and find a trapdoor, it's graphic shows it already open. Technicaly you havn't activated it, so it should be closed or slightly ajar.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Zakia wrote:Fix me: Trap in front of a door.

Can it be possible to remove all traps in general from squares adjacent to doors? All traps are extremely annoying outside a door or infront of a secret one.

EDIT 5:00 CENTRAL TIME: When you search and find a trapdoor, it's graphic shows it already open. Technicaly you havn't activated it, so it should be closed or slightly ajar.
Shadowspawn had a nice response here that we agreed went better in the features section, so I moved his post.

Essentially he's right on with the concept of bug vs feature. While annoying, many of the little details of Rogue are what keep the game challenging and make players keep coming back with hopes of doing better next time! :D We will make sure to get details of the games features and annoyances and ways to play better as soon as we can. Also, the "advanced" version of the game may actually end up implementing multiple difficulty levels so that players can ease into it better.

On the graphic for the trap-door, we actually only have the one image. It might be kind of neat to make it show un-tripped vs tripped, but you could also argue that in the process of seaching and "discovering" the trap that your avatar "tripped" the trap without stepping into it. Especially since that means my artist can work on shops and other things :lol:
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Just downloaded the update. Much appreciated in terms of the doors on the minimap and the double tap to move around. I see two things that need to be improved:

1) It registers double taps too easily. I will be single tapping in a direction and all of a sudden my guy will take off running. Is there a way to make it so that the double tap requires faster tapping than just two taps fairly close together? This has caused me quite a few mistakes.

2) In the system preferences it shows the name but its not editable there. Should be editable there as well. Kind of confusing when you see it and click on it but nothing happens.

Overall so far, its a great update.
lr100

Post by lr100 »

lr100 wrote:Just downloaded the update. Much appreciated in terms of the doors on the minimap and the double tap to move around. I see two things that need to be improved:

1) It registers double taps too easily. I will be single tapping in a direction and all of a sudden my guy will take off running. Is there a way to make it so that the double tap requires faster tapping than just two taps fairly close together? This has caused me quite a few mistakes.

2) In the system preferences it shows the name but its not editable there. Should be editable there as well. Kind of confusing when you see it and click on it but nothing happens.

Overall so far, its a great update.
Also another thing related to #2. When you do enter a new game, your name shows up in grey text. It not obvious that if you just hit return it will use that name. Rather than setting the name as the background text for the control it should be the foreground text. Background text would be something like "Enter your name".