Starvation

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Mbrandt21

Starvation

Post by Mbrandt21 »

Rogue touch is a pretty awsome game, and I was pretty damn good at it too. But the fact that you need to eat food every 5 seconds ticks me off, and then when you don't eat any food you start fainting every 5 seconds. Also there is only food every 3-4 floors, and because there's not a restart from last floor feature, it's almost impossible to not die from starvation. So please, Cronosoft, eather take out the starvation feature, make it happen less often or make food more available. Also you should make a store feature that you can find every 5 levels or something.
Jessica

Re: Starvation

Post by Jessica »

Mbrant21, I'm so happy that you like our game! :lol: We're preparing a FAQ that will cover a lot of things newcomers to Rogue need to know to survive to see the Amulet of Yendor.

Your problem is a common one, and following a few simple rules you'll make it a lot farther (and almost never starve)!

1) Don't eat until the last possible moment!
2) Don't wear rings if you're low on food- most of them make you hungry/weak/faint even faster (unless you have rings of slow digestion, as those will allow you to eat even less often :) )
3) Don't waste too many turns resting, searching, or wandering around. If you discovered most of the floor and happen to find the stairs, it may be time to descend.

#1 is the most important- When you get the message that you're hungry, you can actually continue on for a long ways. When you see the message that you are feeling weak, you probably have several hundred more turns before starting to faint. Try to eat a while after you feel weak, just before feeling faint... that will ration out your food and combined with the other tips you should get far :D

We're considering a shop for a future update (the original Rogue never had one, so we based our game off that design). I think almost everyone here agrees a shop would be a cool idea, so we just need to figure out how we're going to handle it :D
Detzlink

Post by Detzlink »

Hmm i have never died of starvation yet, I always found enough food, maybe Rogue is being kind to me...

I was really close one time, though. But i noticed I fainted more than 10 times and didn't died :shock: ...hunger and weakness should be longer so you faint 5 times and you're finished, because (how many times do you faint before dying?) 15 or 20 or 11? are too many faints. But still i'm fine with it :)
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Jessica wrote: 1) Don't eat until the last possible moment!
2) Don't wear rings if you're low on food- most of them make you hungry/weak/faint even faster (unless you have rings of slow digestion, as those will allow you to eat even less often :) )
3) Don't waste too many turns resting, searching, or wandering around. If you discovered most of the floor and happen to find the stairs, it may be time to descend.

#1 is the most important- When you get the message that you're hungry, you can actually continue on for a long ways. When you see the message that you are feeling weak, you probably have several hundred more turns before starting to faint. Try to eat a while after you feel weak, just before feeling faint... that will ration out your food and combined with the other tips you should get far :D
She pretty much nailed the vital parts. A few more tips:

1) Keep health potions handy, don't rest. You may be able to forgo any recovery measures and move on if it's a injury less than 1/3 of your health. At high levels the game is VERY lenient on restoration by walking.
2) If you feel hungry use a clarity(?) scroll to reveal all items.
3) As funky as Mushrooms sound, I've eaten like 10 without negative effects, I believe they are a ration equivalent.
4) If you've played alot you'll be accustomed to the size of a average level. You dont have to explore every cranny. If you're hungry and low on food, head down a level and see if you have luck there.
5) There is literaly no point in Exploring after you get the amulet, you should be at a high enough level to stand against most enemies. As soon as you find stairs, ascend them.
6) Keep a stock of food for after the amulet to make #5 very effective.
7) If you feel like cheating, type in "Fat Bastard" as your name, case sensitive.
Last edited by Zakia on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

OH GOD, scratch the mushroom part out, it does have effects.

It's not bad though.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Zyxt

Post by Zyxt »

(Bump)

I died due to starvation today. The first time I've done so. Unfortunately, I wasn't counting how many times I fainted before I finally died, but I'm fairly certain it was more than 10, and possibly more towards 20 times.
Peace and love,
~B/Z
Jorlen

Post by Jorlen »

First post on these forums, have to say that I absolutely love Rogue Touch and am hopelessly addicted. I played nethack as a kid nonstop and although I've never played the original rogue games, it's very similar to nethack. Anyhow, great game, and I love the fact that you guys have been submitting a constant stream of updates :)

Getting back on topic - I think the shop would be an awesome idea. Perhaps make it a random thing on a random floor, shows up as a tile or something and you can enter the shop that way and purchase a few things like ammo / food /etc.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Jorlen wrote:First post on these forums, have to say that I absolutely love Rogue Touch and am hopelessly addicted. I played nethack as a kid nonstop and although I've never played the original rogue games, it's very similar to nethack. Anyhow, great game, and I love the fact that you guys have been submitting a constant stream of updates :)

Getting back on topic - I think the shop would be an awesome idea. Perhaps make it a random thing on a random floor, shows up as a tile or something and you can enter the shop that way and purchase a few things like ammo / food /etc.
Jorlen, thanks for visiting! We're hot on the update trail again for this weekend as you might have noticed with the announcement here (also just started a thread at touchArcade since we're getting closer).

Shops were about the only thing we could think of at one point believe it or not! We've had such a great response to this and so many other hot features to implement it's been tough to get back to building the shop-code. Your idea is similar to what we're working on though, a single "tile" that you step on and access like you would for going down the stairs. We hope to get back on track and include shops soon! :mrgreen:
dwright

WAS: Starvation NOW: More Food

Post by dwright »

As a long time Nethack / DC player, I'm loving Rogue Touch. It feels like it needs a bilt more food dropped. I've got about 50 games under my belt, some of them down to high teens low twenties. I know how to manage food well, but the majority of my deaths have either been those damn ur-viles, or starvation, the latter more prevalent. The ur-vile or dragon I can accept, but not food. That's just frustrating. I could even deal with eating a slime and loosing some strength.....

-D
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: WAS: Starvation NOW: More Food

Post by CommanderData »

dwright wrote:As a long time Nethack / DC player, I'm loving Rogue Touch. It feels like it needs a bilt more food dropped. I've got about 50 games under my belt, some of them down to high teens low twenties. I know how to manage food well, but the majority of my deaths have either been those damn ur-viles, or starvation, the latter more prevalent. The ur-vile or dragon I can accept, but not food. That's just frustrating. I could even deal with eating a slime and loosing some strength.....

-D
Have you found the wand/staff of cornucopia yet? That usually helps out with your food problems (and dragon problems for that matter)! A shop would be helpful as well, that's been on our list for quite a while :) We have another item in mind for an update that could help out almost as much as a ring of slow digestion would too.

It's funny how the games can vary so wildly- about half the time I get so much food that I wonder if it's not becoming too easy :lol: