Leaderboard Challenge - CommanderData's Angels Edition!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Elysium

Re: Leaderboard Challenge - CommanderData's Angels Edition!

Post by Elysium »

Man, I broke into the top 5 last night and I wake up this morning and I'm already bumped to 6. I almost starved making the run back up. I was on floor 2 trapped in two large rooms looking for a secret door with only 1 ration of food left. Saw two funny things, a Xeroc disguised as stairs right next to stairs, and a Xeroc disguised as stairs on top of stairs!. Somewhere on my way up I started in a 2x2 room with one door on the left. I'm about to go through said door, when I decide "hey I'll just search for a secret door now in case I need to backtrack to here anyway" so I do, and I find a door on the first try. I take that door, which leads me through every single room in the dungeon except the original door which would have led directly to the stairs. Hundreds of turns lost there. Also, I lost a few hundred turns to a potion of blindness. Man that's a bitch. Why is it so many turns?
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

Elysium wrote:Man, I broke into the top 5 last night and I wake up this morning and I'm already bumped to 6.

sorry i think that was me, i gave it a couple more gos, but still can't break 10,000 moves. i think though, that you are still ranked #5 since i'm in there twice. my last run would have been awesome, had i not gotten stuck on level 25 (going down), because i didn't explore one corner of a maze, and spent forever searching for this hidden door which ended up not having the exit (where's a pit trap when you need one?). also had to run and hide/heal in the maze for a while to take out a bunch of monsters on that level. i was still pretty happy to get out alive, i used every trick i had and just barely survived past the dragon and medusa on level 1 using my last charge on a paralysis wand and my last scroll of confusion. other than that all i had left was two charges left on a staff of chaos so that could have gone either way.

the weirdest thing i ran into was a treasure room with at least 7 leprechauns (no exaggeration). somehow i managed to kill all of them too. for some reason i seem to have much better luck killing nymphs and leprechauns as athena. i'm not sure if it's a a combo of higher starting AC, strength, and a decent weapon?
Elysium wrote:Also, I lost a few hundred turns to a potion of blindness. Man that's a bitch. Why is it so many turns?
i'm sure you know this, but a couple potions including the regular healing one will cure blindness. i'll attach some pics from my last run.
Attachments
IMG_0039.PNG
IMG_0039.PNG (43.3 KiB) Viewed 14086 times
IMG_0037.PNG
IMG_0037.PNG (35.1 KiB) Viewed 14086 times
IMG_0038.PNG
IMG_0038.PNG (38.43 KiB) Viewed 14084 times
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

twalkabout wrote:
Elysium wrote:Man, I broke into the top 5 last night and I wake up this morning and I'm already bumped to 6.

the weirdest thing i ran into was a treasure room with at least 7 leprechauns (no exaggeration). somehow i managed to kill all of them too. for some reason i seem to have much better luck killing nymphs and leprechauns as athena. i'm not sure if it's a a combo of higher starting AC, strength, and a decent weapon?
It's the Blessed weapon. On your first hit it disables their special ability (works on wraiths and vampires too). So basically if you hit them at all they won't poof away, so you can easily kill them.
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

Elysium wrote:
twalkabout wrote:

It's the Blessed weapon. On your first hit it disables their special ability (works on wraiths and vampires too). So basically if you hit them at all they won't poof away, so you can easily kill them.
ah! i didn't realize that. i noticed it of course with phantoms, but didn't realize it cancelled out special effects for all monsters. that explains a lot come to think of it.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Ok I'm back in at #5 (discounting one of your two runs) at 11274. Nothing really special about this run at all except it was the exact opposite of the first run in that I ended with 16 rations of food. Hit one pit trap going up which hurt me for a few hundred steps, and generally didn't have a lot of luck with finding the stairs early going up from 10-2. I did have decent luck in not running into a ton of high level monsters but I still had 175 kills. I had a ton of luck finding weapons, but that was fairly useless on a speed run. I had 2-3 war hammers, a katana, a mace, a long sword, a two handed sword, and 2 blessed spears (pulled the +3+2 off my corpse, ended +6+4). I say we end the contest early, while I'm still #5 :lol:
nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

Elysium wrote:Ok I'm back in at #5 (discounting one of your two runs) at 11274. Nothing really special about this run at all except it was the exact opposite of the first run in that I ended with 16 rations of food. Hit one pit trap going up which hurt me for a few hundred steps, and generally didn't have a lot of luck with finding the stairs early going up from 10-2. I did have decent luck in not running into a ton of high level monsters but I still had 175 kills. I had a ton of luck finding weapons, but that was fairly useless on a speed run. I had 2-3 war hammers, a katana, a mace, a long sword, a two handed sword, and 2 blessed spears (pulled the +3+2 off my corpse, ended +6+4). I say we end the contest early, while I'm still #5 :lol:
sorry to break it to you...but i just bumped you off number 5 and got #3 myself. Did so well step-wise all by luck with opportune pit-traps that brought me down to the amulet a lot faster. Gear-wise...few potions of strength or enchant scrolls for armor and weapon, so my gear was a bit lackluster. Not even a good ring. Did find a couple of staffs of polymorph, plus a staff of slow monster that was a "powerful magic" and never seemed to run out of charges. Those really helped a lot. I must say, at one point I got VERY VERY lucky...I was being attacked by two monsters...a griff and a phantom, and I was dying fast. I polymorph the grif into an aquator thankfully, and then managed to polymorph the phantom into a venus fly trap when I had 5 health remaining. Nothing in the game was worse then being unsure if I could kill the venus before its one and two damage increments killed me...would have been a painful death to live with. I just managed to kill it with me having one life left and then quickly dispatched that annoying aquator 8-) .
I realized that I did not take a picture of the victory scene, but I can take one of my high score (which I thankfully reset right before this game) and I did give CD my udid yesterday, so whenever he is able to check up on it if needed...
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

ive been taking a rogue break thinking my number two spot was safe until the end of the contest, sheesh, now im number 5, better get back in gear
nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

This is what happened to me as soon as I entered a new level during one of my runs (with another medusa off the screen). Luckily I had a handy scare monster scroll...
Attachments
IMG_0005.PNG
IMG_0005.PNG (44.99 KiB) Viewed 14011 times
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

nohbdy wrote:This is what happened to me as soon as I entered a new level during one of my runs (with another medusa off the screen). Luckily I had a handy scare monster scroll...
:shock: :o OMFG!!!! Thank goodness you had one of those scrolls........did you get the "party room" warning as you arrived?????
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

nohbdy wrote:This is what happened to me as soon as I entered a new level during one of my runs (with another medusa off the screen). Luckily I had a handy scare monster scroll...

WOW, that's a tight spot there! Glad to see you had the equipment necessary to do the job right :lol:

Just to clarify, if someone has 2 or more scores in the top rankings, only one will count so depending on what happens by tomorrow night some of you could be in or out of the running. I must say I'm very impressed with the sub-ten thousand move games. That is an accomplishment! :D

I'll prep another contest shortly after this one. Maybe a different flavor.... time to think of what would be neat!