Feature Requests for Rogue Touch - Part TWO!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Shumby

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch - Part TWO!

Post by Shumby »

Oh yeah! I like the deep alternate quest too! Maybe the amulet could provide some sort of dynamic bonus depending on how deep in the dungeon you go? Just to take the edge off... Stronger sleep regeneration or something subtle?
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

jhawk wrote:a balrog down there somewhere would be nice :ugeek:
Huzzah!

There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Ha Ha! That's pretty funny there!

I think the Balrog's a great boss too. Probably just two quests. The normal quest for the Amulet of Yendor, and another one that picks up at floor 27 through floor X (X=99 or 100). You'd still have an option to dive beyond floor 99/100 too. Maybe it'll be turtles all the way down- another new quest at 101-200 :lol:

The other important part of this is to reward the players for diving. So superitem chances should increase. The plusses of weapons, armor, and rings should increase. And of course monster power increases (it does already as those of you who have dared to dive can attest to). :mrgreen:
kennfusion

Post by kennfusion »

CommanderData wrote:Ha Ha! That's pretty funny there!

I think the Balrog's a great boss too. Probably just two quests. The normal quest for the Amulet of Yendor, and another one that picks up at floor 27 through floor X (X=99 or 100). You'd still have an option to dive beyond floor 99/100 too. Maybe it'll be turtles all the way down- another new quest at 101-200 :lol:

The other important part of this is to reward the players for diving. So superitem chances should increase. The plusses of weapons, armor, and rings should increase. And of course monster power increases (it does already as those of you who have dared to dive can attest to). :mrgreen:
Turtles? The game needs more Llamas! Llamas and Lemurs!
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

i really hope a path has been created to return to the title screen without exiting and reopening is in the next patch

Powerful magical item ideas

Scoll of the elements - enchants said weapon with random of 4 elements, maybe multiple scrolls stack multiple elements and don't pull a vorporalize and poof your weapon

Potion of the gods - +2d4 hp, +1d3 str

Maybe start thinking about armor enchants?
swhatley

Post by swhatley »

New monsters:

Python or Boa - Attacks like a Venus Fly Trap but doesn't hold you in place until it is slayed. Very slight chance that it can damage armor (even gold plated armor) by denting it. You need to wear a ring of protection to prevent this.
Multi-headed dragon - can shoot fire, ice, water, and lightening. Only shows up for deep dungeon divers.
Electric Eel - Uses lightening attacks.
Ants - Very weak attack (1d1) but can be lots of them. Maybe a whole room full of them and they can't leave the room except maybe one or two scouts can. Can you Imagine a maze room full of ants? That would be a pain, literally. :)
Crab: Acts like a bear trap except it can move and drag you along. Has a very hard shell. Attacking it may cause it to let you go. Moves in erratic pattern like it is confused all of the time but will very likely grab you if you are next to it. Very difficult to kill but it doesn't do much damage like an Aquator.
Porcupine like creature: can throw quill like darts at you. A dart could be poisonous. (for deep divers?)

At higher levels (deep divers?): Venus Fly Trap can randomly lore you closer to them instead of the direction you wanted to go.

For deep divers: New and more powerful monsters that appear on rare occasion like the multi-headed dragon mentioned above.

Just a few thoughts for now.

Enjoy life!
Steven
swhatley

Flares?

Post by swhatley »

In the dart/dagger category, it may be cool to have flares that you can throw into room that only fully lights it up for 5 to 10 turns. And it can do damage it hits a monster.

On the subject of light,a new monster (Shadow?) that avoids entering your area of visibility but it can do some kind of attack at a distance. The light from a flare can damage it and using a staff/wand of light would kill it. Attacks could be temporarily weak the light from a blessed weapon (Athena) or cause very short 5 to 15 turns of blindness.

Enjoy life!
Steven
rekzkarz

Post by rekzkarz »

I just bought the game. Impressive. Great job on adaptation to iPhone. Thanks!

I've been hooked on Rogue-likes since Apple IIe, and I always try to put a good version on my smartphones.
PALM had some incredible versions, I thought, including iLarn and iRogue.
Having a keyboard handy allows some quick moves.

Here's the list of Rogue Touch ideas I've got for you (I did skim this list already to see what's been posted here before).
  • 1 - REPEAT button(s), which either 'do last action' again (whatever it was), or one that does it x# of times (ie Sleep for 20 turns, dig 50x, attack 30x, etc)
    2 - Maybe you want to add a (hide-able) control panel of buttons to do actions, like Zap, Identify (Creature/Object), Throw, etc. Probably would be best to make this control panel 'slide in and out' so when you don't need it, it's gone. I don't mind changing screens constantly, but repetitive moves start to get to people.
    3 - I like the d-pad setting (smart move!), but I didn't like how it looked. On the PALM, they designed a 'doughnut' concept. If you tap the outside of the doughnut around your dude, you were running. If you tap the inside of the doughnut, you walk 1 space. If you touch your dude, Inventory/Stats. Works!
    4 - I strongly request you **DO NOT** add a story, plot, or changes beyond the Rogue concept -- if you keep the name Rogue. Rather, come up with your own nonsense name (iFlarb or whatever) and establish it as a fellow Rogue-like game. Keep this one pure as possible -- which you have, and well-done!
    • 4b - From what I read, you seem to want to make another game (or radically modify this one). So, perhaps allow players who bought this to chose the 'game world' (Rogue or iFlarb or Larn etc) on startup, and keep the same programming. I'm a non-programmer, so I don't know if this is do-able on iPhone. Or jut make a new app... but I should get a copy for this suggestion! HA HA (-- and see my final list of suggestions)
    5 - Is there a stats screen for the character? Am I missing it? I got a +2 ring of Dex, but I can't tell what my Dex is... or can I? Confused.
    6 - tap to bypass (or accelerate) the death screen. (I exit the game & restart to bypass. Takes forever!)
    7 - Pinch-zoom is a cool idea, but I don't do it. I already have a mini-map. Up/Down stairs are hard to see on the little map. Maybe Pinch Zoom & Tilt could do something else neat (with a menu enable function), like --> Tilt for a STATS page, or PinchZoom IN for inventory (zoom into char) with a rag-doll of their body, and PinchZoom OUT for character Stats. Just ideas.
    8 - 'equiping' and 'wielding' items should keep me on inventory screen, or at the least take me back to inventory.
    9 - Choice of character pictures would be nice.
I have a few Rogue Touch questions, which might be in the game already:
  • 1- Do you have a "fight to the death" button? (Rogue was 'f' for 1 hit, 'F' for 'fight to death'. The Palm iRogue version had a user confured 'safety line' in 'fight to death' option so you would stop auto-fighting in time for 1 quick move. Seemed to work well.)
    2- Do you have any 'user preferences' reachable inside Rogue Touch? The reason I think the config screen should be inside Rogue Touch instead of Settings is more of a tradition and style thing, and you can do it really fast. (Seems like your app needs a little 'i' button in the corner, too.) I did see Rogue Touch in Settings, but it was missing so many of those things from original Rogue, namely ...
    • how to show light,
      how player should run,
      whether to follow corridor turns,
      whether to stop at doors/objects,
      enable/disable auto-pickup,
      how stats should show,
      where they should show,
      allow email to be delivered during game (that was a cool feature! A creature would run up and deliver an email msg inside the dungeon!),
    3 - Is there A stats screen for the character? Am I missing it? (Suggestion #5 above.)
The following list is not for Rogue Touch, but suggestions for 'Rogue-Like' Touch (coming perhaps in the future? My fingers are crossed!):
  • 1 - Character inventory goes to body slots on a character body - doll.
    2 - Create a bunch of stats (like 25) which all affect different things (like in reality). Add a ton of skills affected by those stats. When characters level up, they improve in a few stats. Characters improve stats only w/potions, rings, other objects, etc. While skills are exp based. With this stat/skill system, *Not all characters can not do all things.* They might be able to have the same final outcome though.
    3 - a really detailed character sheet.
    4 - players can write a 1 paragraph back-story and it gets posted to a LeaderBoard if they do well.
    5 - preserve Rogue's increasing level of HARD difficulty, lack of balance, no saving.
    6 - Pets can be fun.
    7 - Magic books & spells, technology skills (math, science, engineering, craft, computer use),
    8 - Shamanic stuff - talk to Spirits/Undead, get along w/animals, etc, (for players?)
    9 - Psychic stuff - hypnosis, invisibility, confusion, etc (for players?)
    10 - Learn inaccessable skills by meeting wandering teachers, teleporting to different dimensions, finding strange tomes, etc.
    11 - Model it after our modern world --> have buildings, streets, shops, cars, buses, planes, workplaces & jobs, and so on. Perhaps it's like the movie, "Falling Down" and your character is just a regular Joe/Jane who decides to lash out against corruption? Fight the bad guys? Etc. (That'd explain why you wouldn't nec have to go back to your job!) Here's a name -- 'Touch Real Life' HA HA
    12 - a non-kill everything story-concept that still includes explore and improve, like --> enemies do something & the player realizes they are bad, where-as NPC's might (randomly) have stuff for trade, skill knowledge, etc My only problem w/Rogue, Rogue-likes, and all so-called 'adventure explore games' is that killing EVERYTHING and taking their loot has got to be some bad karma, no? Is there any way to build a good karma version of this kinda thing -- and still have it be FUN?
OK, I'm done. Whew! I realize the final list could be a totally different game and not interesting to you (or others), so just ignore it. I liked writing it -- instead of editing the short film I'm supposed to be working on! Ooops!

I tried to format this suggestion list so it'd be easier to read. Lemme know if any of these ideas were helpful?

Thanks again for a great version of a CLASSIC GAME. AWESOME!

As we all know, the Rogue game concept is what spawned all kinds of cool games, incl Diablo, GuildWars, Fate, & others. Maybe it's the underlying concept for the MMORPG phenomenon today? Anyway, no reason you couldn't make another game, 'Adventurer Touch', 'Wizard Touch', 'Cleric Touch', 'Magic Touch', or similar game name/concept -- and run with it.

THANKS again! - rekzkarz
rekzkarz.com
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

so yea... here goes...

most of your questions or suggestions have already been added, are planned for an update, or seem to still be in discussion

str is the only shown stat and added dex helps with hitting, i have made a suggestion to add and show a dex stat - im hoping its in the works for a future update

to run there is a double-tap function under general settings that will take you through hallways, rooms, and auto stop at any door/trap you detect

there is no fight to the death

last update a female avatar was introduced for several of the secret characters, im sure more will be added and possibly a choice at a later update

there is no dig function

the death screen just takes that long

there currently is no way to return to the title screen

there arent much options for showing light, ou either have 1 square, or 2 if you have a flaming or blessed weapon

you stop at all objects/traps/doors, for the most part i dont see why you wouldnt want to, and if you dont its not that much of an inconvience

auto pick items choice might be nice, but until recent updates it didnt tell you what an item was you were standing on if your pack was full forcing you to drop an item to pick up to see what the other item was, that was a very very nice update

if your running in a corridor or hallway and want to stop, not sure why, just tap the screen mid run

dex has already been addressed, and i would love to see it displayed next to str
email in game from monsters.....um...definately not following you on this one

there is no config or character stat screen, because as of now the only stat is str, more additions are in the works for later updates

i think this has addressed most of the pertinent questions and with every update there have been significant improvements and bug fixes and another update is being worked on currently
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

typing that out gave me a little idea of how id imagine a couple of my better suggestions getting implemented, and thought id share the vision :ugeek: