Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
jhawk

Re: Bug Reports

Post by jhawk »

since the update ive had 4 freezes where i have to exit and reopen, i have been playing quite a bit

ive also had this problem previously, it doesnt always save you out when you exit and have had entire levels undone and have to redo, of course this never happens when i die or something bad happens!

i think a save and exit button, return to main screen, was going to be a good idea and a suggestion anyway and now it just seems even more appropriate
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

jhawk wrote:since the update ive had 4 freezes where i have to exit and reopen, i have been playing quite a bit

ive also had this problem previously, it doesnt always save you out when you exit and have had entire levels undone and have to redo, of course this never happens when i die or something bad happens!

i think a save and exit button, return to main screen, was going to be a good idea and a suggestion anyway and now it just seems even more appropriate

Yeah, lr100 sent me two crash logs... I just mentioned in my PM reply to you about the fact we may need to hold up on new features until I can sort out what the heck is happening here. We really didn't want to introduce new bugs- I tried to clean up all the crappy NSTimers and junk in my code to make it less rickety, but it appears that something is worse for it :evil:

If anyone else has access to crash logs on their device for 1.3/1.4 I would really like to get a look at them. We need to make sure that you have the best possible play experience, and *then* we can migrate to 2.0 and shops and whatnot :ugeek:
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I've had the descend stairs/inventory menu double pop up a couple of times......I just cancel one of them and use the other.
M. Blanchot

Post by M. Blanchot »

Much like the bug reported by others, I just experienced a crash while descending a set of stairs. When I relaunched RT I found I had to repeat the level all over again. Not a complete disaster however, as I knew this time around that that shiny new suit of armour was cursed... :)
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Using the latest version, got the dark hallways bug. Here are the screen shots:
Attachments
IMG_0003.PNG
IMG_0003.PNG (22.23 KiB) Viewed 8904 times
IMG_0001.PNG
IMG_0001.PNG (24.94 KiB) Viewed 8904 times
IMG_0002.PNG
IMG_0002.PNG (28.12 KiB) Viewed 8904 times
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Lr100, thanks for your tireless efforts at snapshotting and submitting crash logs! As of this morning I think I have located several issues that started with 1.4:

1) 2+ popup sheets for inventory
2) Infinite popup sheets, which cause you to have to hold the home button for about 10 seconds to force quit
3) Soooooo close to nailing the descend stairs crash...

If I can get these three under control I'll probably issue a new 1.41 release tonight which you'd see by next weekend. Since I can hardly resist the chance I'll probably add in a few more secret characters and a couple more items just to give you something to look forward to besides a more stable game! :lol:
Bigdave

Post by Bigdave »

CD,

Just found an interesting 'issue'. Started a new game with the character Bagpuss. The character could 'see' around the dungeons no problem and could even see items and monsters. When hitting a monster the system reported 'You have hit it' 'You have damaged it' . These messages all associated with blindness or funky mushroom eating. Also then found several hallways which were lit normally and several which were black and didn't light up.

Started a new game with the same character name and problem disappeared. One of those things I guess, unless there is a random character effect of selective blindness.

Thanks

IPod Touch
V2.2.1
Not Jailbroken
RT V1.3/1.4

Dave
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Bigdave wrote:CD,

Just found an interesting 'issue'. Started a new game with the character Bagpuss. The character could 'see' around the dungeons no problem and could even see items and monsters. When hitting a monster the system reported 'You have hit it' 'You have damaged it' . These messages all associated with blindness or funky mushroom eating. Also then found several hallways which were lit normally and several which were black and didn't light up.

Started a new game with the same character name and problem disappeared. One of those things I guess, unless there is a random character effect of selective blindness.

Thanks

IPod Touch
V2.2.1
Not Jailbroken
RT V1.3/1.4

Dave

That's certainly not intentional :) But as you said those messages indicate not being able to see properly... I will look into that today!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

This is posted for the benefit of everyone, as originally PM'd by Wizzard:
Wizzard wrote: I have upgraded to version 1.3/1.4 (disappointed to lose hall of fame -but that's life). I think that it is a great game and love playing it but have noticed the following bugs/features

1 Similar to previous post - I was confused by the gaze of a medusa that was outside the room that I had just entered standing in a corridor behind a secret door that I had not revealed. (also had the dragon one)

2 When you drop items it's all or nothing. This means when I have more than 1 scroll of scare monster I effectively have to use them all (wasting any extra that I have collected). Need to be able to drop items singly.

3 Pack effectively allows you to carry an infinite number of items provided they are the same. The original had limits on the total number of items you could have in your pack.

4. When exiting a room and standing in the doorway the first square is not illuminated, although you can still see anything in that space so does not affect the game playing

5. Sometimes I have noticed that when running away from attackers if you accidently press the direction button that would take you into the wall of room or corridor you get hit. Seems to occur most frequently with the move right button.

6. Potion of healing doesn't cure confusion. It used to in the original version that I played

7. Potion of extra healing doesn't cure hallucination. As above

8. When you get back to the light of day your gold doesn't go up as a result of you selling all the items in your pack as stated in the message when you finally get out

9. Sometimes whilst exploring a floor some of the squares in unexplored rooms are already illuminated. I can't be sure but it looks like they are squares that had items on them but a passing attacker picked it up before you got there

10. Whilst descending to level 26 I met a nymph in a corridor and I had not read a scroll of aggravate monster. This may be a feature of this game, but in the original nymphs and certain other monsters were only met in rooms

11. This may be a feature of your version but when confused trying to move also seems to include standing still rather than just giving a step in a random direction (I suppose standing still can count as a direction)

12. I seem to remember a warning "you hear the distant sound of running feet" to warn of a treasure room in the original although I may be mistaken

13. When you stand on an item with a full pack the message doesn't give you the details of what it is. So you have to waste moves stepping away from the item and then dropping an item before you can pick them up to find out if it is anything of value

14. When playing some of the characters with increased visibility they don't stop running when a monster comes into view but continue until standing next to the monster. Would also save movements it they stopped when the walls of a room come into view (probably not possible as you can see the sidewalls of some rooms as you run along them).

In addition to the above I have the following questions

What is the benefit of wielding a bow to shoot arrows? It doesn't seem to boost accuracy or damage done.
What is the meaning of the message "seeming smells good". Often I only fine 1 ration of food on the floor.

Finally I have the following feature suggestions

The new hall of fame is great but could you add the possibility of tapping one of the people on the list to reveal addition information about the character like strength, hit points on exiting and a breakdown of the monsters killed by monster etc

The scroll of protect armour could work like vorporize weapon. Reading two on armour causes the armour to turn to dust (may already be incorporated into latest version, was not the case in version 1.2.

Is there anyway of being able to see further into lighted rooms to see what the monster is that is standing out of sight of the screen?

Sorry that some of these are probably not bugs but I think this is a great game and I love playing it.
Wizzard,
Thank you for the detailed write up... Let's see if I can cover all of these one by one with you:

1) There definitely seem to be some issues with determining what room you are actually inside. These are related to the descend to a new floor crash as well, so we're working on that furiously today.

2) That's a very valid point- Maybe rather than clutter up the interface with another button or popup dialog we can do a special case for scare monster scrolls. How about this: all other items you drop all or nothing... scare monster scrolls only drop *one* if you have a stack of them. You could use this to indirectly identify them, but to do so would also waste it so I think it's a good compromise. How about you? :)

3) I agree that there's no limit as long as you already have the same type of item. That was kind of a "gift" to the many players we have that are not as familiar with the original rogue, to make it slightly less punishing. On the flip side is the original rogue also had limits on the amount of items and monsters a given level could contain... we have no limits there either- which means we can push more monsters than classic rogue :twisted:

4) That's correct, and I have yet to track it down since there's a few more high priority bugs and features. I'll see if I can find out why. Like you said, at least you'll see the monster if one is there so it's not a gameplay breaker.

5) This one is strange, because if you make a move that is invalid (such as into a wall or try to step into the black from a hallway as you mention) it is not supposed to count as a turn. Which means the monsters shouldn't get a turn. Unless they are one of the "fast" variety who get two turns to your one, in which case it could look like this is happening when it is just them exercising their speed on you. I'll take a closer look at it.

6) Some versions are different than others, I don't recall that curing confusion but it can be added in easily :)

7) Same as #6 :)

8) I will look at that. Items do have value, so something must be wrong with the math?

9) That one I actually have seen before, and it's a bear to track down. I think this is also related to the problem stated in #1 where we don't determine the room correctly- it holds true for monsters as well as our character.

10) Occasionally monsters can be awakened by you passing through a room even if you don't see them. This is a small change from the original rogue, just to stir the pot a bit. I think this might be the cause of your active Nymph (especially if she didn't have the typicall *&*&%$ symbols for aggravation over her head).

11) Confused can lead to standing still if you are near a wall or in a hallway and the "random" move would result in an illegal move into the wall or blackness. So yes, that is true... I think that's a feature in my case, because it makes confusion a bit less punishing for newbies :)

12) That might have been from an advanced rogue-like but I really like the idea. Maybe I will include that in the next update :mrgreen:

13) Another neat idea, that should be easy to incorporate.

14) Fastplay is only keyed to things that are in the 8 squares *immediately* surrounding your character. When playing in a fully lit room the action is the same, even though you personally can see the monster from far away :)

For the misc questions:
Wielding the bow to shoot arrows incorporates the bow's to hit and damage bonuses, as well as *special* abilities. If you have a flaming bow the arrows have a chance of triggering a flame blast on hitting a monster.

The "something smells good message" is a friendly note that there is food somewhere on the floor. You'll only see this if you are running low on your "stomach", usually when hungry, weak, or faint and there is food on the new floor.

Hall of fame:
We do have a small additional amount of info available, but not a detailed list of monster killed or equipment. That would have become too much to store and transmit for the amount of records we'll be inserting daily. The hall of fame and online leaderboards will continue to evolve, so maybe we can get a few more details in the future :) There will be more categories soon at the very least!

Scroll of armor protection:
I really like this idea, and may change the functionality. I suppose I should warn everyone though just to be fair...

Seeing further into lighted rooms:
Have you tried using the standard "pinch" gesture to zoom in and out on the screen? That is what I do. Actually in the options I set my game to play at 75% size by default, just to give a bit more viewing room.

Really glad you are enjoying the game and care enough to provide such a detailed write up!!! :lol:

Thanks!
CD
lr100

Post by lr100 »

CommanderData wrote:
Scroll of armor protection:
I really like this idea, and may change the functionality. I suppose I should warn everyone though just to be fair...

CD
No000!!! Its hard enough to get good armor as it is!