Starvation

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Re: Starvation

Post by Zakia »

Yeah, the Cornucopia staff is RIDICUOUSLY broken. It should be the only superweapon staff.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
shadowspawn

Re: Starvation

Post by shadowspawn »

Hi dwright. As you probably know, the limited food is by original game design, to force you to explore quickly and plunge deeper into the dungeon. I starved to death in my second game wearing two cursed rings, and since then have been paranoid about food usage and have not starved to death in around 20 games, and a few times have been carrying 9 food.

Assuming you are aware that wearing rings causes you to use more food, and that you don't eat until you are "weak", my guess is that you are doing too much resting up between fights before doing more exploring. If I am above 50% hit points and character is doing ok against monsters, I just keep on exploring and recover the hit points while running down those long corridors and exploring big dark rooms. In the early levels hit points recover slowly and I spend a lot of time somewhat beaten up. In the later levels hit points come back faster, and I hopefully have potions of healing or a ring of regeneration to repair major damage quickly.

A related time sink is maybe you are doing too much searching. I think of each level with a maximum of 9 rooms laid out in a rough grid. There can never be more than one door in a wall. If you have found rooms and corridors that "fill" the grid, there is no point exploring more or searching for secret doors, time to go down the stairs.

Try not wearing any rings, eat nothing until you are weak from hunger, and exploring as fast as possible. (No resting, no searching, charge onwards.) I am not suggesting that this is the best way to play! But if you try some extreme food conservation, hopefully you can work out what you are doing that gets you into food trouble, and balance the risks and benefits.