Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Choddo

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by Choddo »

Great game. I only came in here to mention the hallway following so it sounds like you already have that in the pipeline. Thanks.

Also, I hate looking for food. I know it's rogue but I love exploring games and it's always been a silly random ceiling on what you can do, for me. I expect this is an old debate but anything you can think of to escape the drudgery of the grocery simulator would be immensely welcome. Option to have no food/hunger? Use less food if you wear light armour? Food shop?

Good luck with the game.

Oh and great ambient sounds but a few sfx would be splendid :)
xaric

Ideas from past dungeon games

Post by xaric »

In other Rogue-type games I've played, here are some ideas that I would love to see in this version:

- Hive/nest of critters. For example, on a higher-up level, having a room full of orcs (orc nest), etc., with some great treasure in it. Maybe a room full of smurfs? lol.

- Ability to dig. There was one installment where you could dig your own tunnels, and every once in a while you would discover a room full of treasure

- Store - Something to spend the gold on. Is there a purpose for the gold, other than your score? Maybe I haven't played up high enough (Level 24ish)

- Teleporting nyphs/leprechaun: Once they steal gold/items, they appear to disappear permanently. In other installments, they teleport to another place on the map, giving you a chance to hunt them down, and take back your stuff.
Zakia

Re: Ideas from past dungeon games

Post by Zakia »

xaric wrote:In other Rogue-type games I've played, here are some ideas that I would love to see in this version:

- Hive/nest of critters. For example, on a higher-up level, having a room full of orcs (orc nest), etc., with some great treasure in it. Maybe a room full of smurfs? lol.

- Ability to dig. There was one installment where you could dig your own tunnels, and every once in a while you would discover a room full of treasure

- Store - Something to spend the gold on. Is there a purpose for the gold, other than your score? Maybe I haven't played up high enough (Level 24ish)

- Teleporting nyphs/leprechaun: Once they steal gold/items, they appear to disappear permanently. In other installments, they teleport to another place on the map, giving you a chance to hunt them down, and take back your stuff.
Q1: There are treasure rooms, filled with 3-5 enemies and an equal or more amount of loot. It's all in a confined space, although various enemies and items are in them.

Q2: This is classic rogue. They did mention they will do other similar projects after RT is polished, though.

Q3: That feature is planned in V1.3 =).
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Choddo wrote:Great game. I only came in here to mention the hallway following so it sounds like you already have that in the pipeline. Thanks.

Also, I hate looking for food. I know it's rogue but I love exploring games and it's always been a silly random ceiling on what you can do, for me. I expect this is an old debate but anything you can think of to escape the drudgery of the grocery simulator would be immensely welcome. Option to have no food/hunger? Use less food if you wear light armour? Food shop?

Good luck with the game.

Oh and great ambient sounds but a few sfx would be splendid :)

Hallway following is working in our test version here. As I suspected, something that seemed really simple was still more complex than I thought- even after figuring out the "easy" rules for it. Turned into 50 or 60 new lines of code, but it sure is nice to watch Rodney run down a huge long twisty hallway without touching the screen :mrgreen:

On the food issue- did you try playing as "Fat Bastard" yet? Or some of the other secret characters mentioned in the sticky here? Several of them have traits that could help your hunger issues. Maybe we'll make a new secret character that just *doesn't eat* :)

Really glad you're enjoying it, and we'll see if we can't get some more sound effects in the pipeline for everyone too!

xaric wrote:In other Rogue-type games I've played, here are some ideas that I would love to see in this version:

Treasure/Party rooms do exist, but are very rare presently. The original rogue had about a 5% chance of one being on any floor. Ours is roughly 7%... so they're still pretty rare :) Usually these will consist of a number of monsters from the next floor *below* your current one (a bit more powerful). Take a look at the iTunes screenshot I added a few days back for an example of how I got rushed when opening the door to a party room! We may be making them a touch more common soon, just to ramp up the difficulty!!!

I always liked digging in Shiren, but the level/floor data structures I've built for Rogue Touch may never be able to support it (even in advanced mode, which is the only place it'd show up). We'll see what happens with that one. I may actually try it :)

As pointed out, stores did not exist in the original, only some of rogue's more advanced descendants- noticed a topic on Moria here I need to get to too! The "advanced mode" of Rogue Touch will have a shop. Initially slated for this next revision, it is experiencing a setback so it'll be a bit longer. Gold will be useful as one component of your detailed score in the hall of fame in 1.3, and will have another use or two in advanced mode!

Finally- leprechans and nymphs (I'm sure everyone's tired of this by now :lol: ) do teleport to another map location in advanced variants, even in a game like Shiren, but always vanished forever in the original Rogue. That's what makes them so risky to tangle with, if you don't nail them you can't reverse the impact they have on your pack or purse! :twisted:

Advanced mode may bring a new monster or two that *does* teleport to another area, but that's all I can say right now :)
Zyxt

Post by Zyxt »

Something I'd like to see is adding something to scrolls. What I mean is, with some scrolls, like the Sleep one, if you don't use it, it just takes up space. You can throw it, but it just does damage. I think it might be interesting to be able to cast the scroll on a monster, or maybe drop it as a trap for the monster? Just something more interesting than dropping it. :3
Peace and love,
~B/Z
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Zyxt wrote:Something I'd like to see is adding something to scrolls. What I mean is, with some scrolls, like the Sleep one, if you don't use it, it just takes up space. You can throw it, but it just does damage. I think it might be interesting to be able to cast the scroll on a monster, or maybe drop it as a trap for the monster? Just something more interesting than dropping it. :3
Drop a scroll of scare monster and they won't cross it, though reading it does nothing. Most scrolls are fairly useful, and you should take in account you can sell useless ones in V1.3 considering you have the space for it.

Also, I forgot to report this, but I've seen several Xeroc's turn up as rings and rings only. It really makes things obvious! You can just zap every ring you see, and gain initiative and not be caught off guard.

Some new ideas:
*Projectile ammo
*Staircase
*Gold
*Scrolls/Potions.
*One on every superweapon floor.
*Show up as items
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Zyxt

Post by Zyxt »

scroll of scare monster
A who of what now?

I've seen Xerocs as a few different items. The first ones that come to mind right now are potions, staffs (staves?), and I think gold...
Peace and love,
~B/Z
Bigdave

Post by Bigdave »

CD,
Fantastic implementation of the original. Would love to see Angband or even Moria in the future.
Somethings I'd like to see in a future version... (may dilute the True Rogueness, but would add to the game nontheless)

1) Ability to "bless" objects (as seen in Ragnorak game)
Blessed Food -> Lasts longer than normal food
Blessed Identify Scroll -> Identifies all objects in the pack
Blessed Scroll of Remove Curse - removes all curses
Blessed items -> better than non blessed item
Etc etc I am sure that you can have some fun with hiding some more specials this way.

2) Like some other suggestions linking hunger to weight carried by the user - encourage lighter armour
3) Some experience for finding hidden doors and exploring every nook of each floor (encourage exploration rather than purely killing everything and descending to next level)
This also allows non-combat explorer type missions using rings of stealth and food to send monsters to sleep rather than having to load up on heavy weapons and armour.
4) Experience bonus for clearing floors of all monsters
5) Agree with other posts on traversing corridors with turns in them.
I'm sure more things will come up,
In the meantime I cannot wait for 1.3. Any news on availability yet?

Dave
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Zyxt wrote:
scroll of scare monster
A who of what now?

I've seen Xerocs as a few different items. The first ones that come to mind right now are potions, staffs (staves?), and I think gold...
Lol. Havn't seen anything but rings.

A scroll of scare monster. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but placing it on the ground should block off enemies. Try placing one in a door to a treasure room and shoot your bow.

Bigdave: VERY nice suggestions ^_^
~Miguel
Zyxt

Post by Zyxt »

Zakia wrote:
Zyxt wrote:
scroll of scare monster
A who of what now?

Lol. Havn't seen anything but rings.

A scroll of scare monster. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but placing it on the ground should block off enemies. Try placing one in a door to a treasure room and shoot your bow.
What's the text when you read one?
Peace and love,
~B/Z