Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
kennfusion

Re: Bug Reports

Post by kennfusion »

I had a but earlier where I picked up a stack of daggers and when I did so it said they were a +2/+2 daggers of shocking. And then when I looked in my inventory, they were really just +0/+0 daggers. It made me sad. :(
JesterDev

Post by JesterDev »

IPod Touch 2G
Firmware 2.21
Not jailbroken (yet)

Found an Opal ring (Stealth) and when I used an identify scroll on it (which was listed as a scroll of identify because I used one earlier) it was shown as a Opal ring of stealth. So I went
to my inventory and the game crashed. I was upset because this was the most interesting dungeon I have played in yet! But lucky me I was able to continue from that point at which it
crashed.

If it helps I also had a +0+0 Platemale, and a +1+1 Two handed sword (Although it might(!) have been the cursed two handed sword-Not sure when I managed to get this horrid thing!)

I restarted my IPod touch before I started playing (Message from the gods...).
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Found two more bugs today. One minor, one could be major depending on the circumstance.

First one is best described with a screen shot:
IMG_0002.PNG
IMG_0002.PNG (69.29 KiB) Viewed 22873 times
I had just drank a potion that gave me the Alice in Wonderland effect. But as you can see the slimes still show up normally when they divide. Oops! Also Bear Traps show up normally as well (and I would guess armor traps too).

Now on to the more serious problem:
IMG_0002.PNG
IMG_0002.PNG (69.29 KiB) Viewed 22873 times
I was going into this room, when suddenly a Krestel somehow jumped over me to be behind me as well as another one in front! At first I thought it was just a one time bug, but then I had it happen to me again:
IMG_0004.PNG
IMG_0004.PNG (19.09 KiB) Viewed 22870 times
I was going down the hall, yet the Krestel somehow again jumps over me and appears behind me, same as before. Not sure if its a problem limited to Krestels or happens with other creatures as well. Unless its a "feature" of them since they "fly".
Attachments
IMG_0001.PNG
IMG_0001.PNG (26.33 KiB) Viewed 22871 times
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

kennfusion wrote:I had a but earlier where I picked up a stack of daggers and when I did so it said they were a +2/+2 daggers of shocking. And then when I looked in my inventory, they were really just +0/+0 daggers. It made me sad. :(
kennfusion, I think what you experienced is a defect of "stacking". Items that are similar stack together, which is fine and dandy for potions and scrolls... but when done with stacks of ranged weaponry you see odd things. If you had a handful of +0/+0 daggers already, and then picked up a stack of +2/+2 super daggers what should happen is the magic should "transfer" and coat the old and new ones so that they are ALL +2/+2 super daggers when stacked. It turns out the opposite is happening in version 1.2... the enchantment/magic is being removed when stacking. That's on our list of stuff to correct for 1.3. :oops:
JesterDev wrote:IPod Touch 2G
Firmware 2.21
Not jailbroken (yet)

Found an Opal ring (Stealth) and when I used an identify scroll on it (which was listed as a scroll of identify because I used one earlier) it was shown as a Opal ring of stealth. So I went
to my inventory and the game crashed. I was upset because this was the most interesting dungeon I have played in yet! But lucky me I was able to continue from that point at which it
crashed.

If it helps I also had a +0+0 Platemale, and a +1+1 Two handed sword (Although it might(!) have been the cursed two handed sword-Not sure when I managed to get this horrid thing!)

I restarted my IPod touch before I started playing (Message from the gods...).

Ok, so you started from a fresh reboot, started a new game, and then experienced this crash when accessing the inventory at some point well into the game, is that correct? Did it freeze, or just dump you back out to the iPod "springboard" with your app icons? We've seen a few reports of locking up if you perform a sequence of actions too quickly and then access the inventory (I think lr100 has managed to do it, and two of my young "playtesters" here at home have somehow done it!). If that is different from what you're describing I'm sorry it caused trouble. Some of these very obscure crashes are hard to reproduce, and if I can't reproduce it while attached to the debugger it's going to be murder trying to fix it :)

lr100 wrote:Found two more bugs today. One minor, one could be major depending on the circumstance.

I had just drank a potion that gave me the Alice in Wonderland effect. But as you can see the slimes still show up normally when they divide. Oops! Also Bear Traps show up normally as well (and I would guess armor traps too).

Now on to the more serious problem:
I was going into this room, when suddenly a Krestel somehow jumped over me to be behind me as well as another one in front! At first I thought it was just a one time bug, but then I had it happen to me again:
I was going down the hall, yet the Krestel somehow again jumps over me and appears behind me, same as before. Not sure if its a problem limited to Krestels or happens with other creatures as well. Unless its a "feature" of them since they "fly".
Yep, that slime split should not have been visible... Although I shudder to think of what Unicorns and Maidens undergoing mitosis would look like in real life :D We'll try to get that under control.

Kestrels are so fast when flying, they tie back into earlier discussion about only being able to see one space down hallways (which is by design in RT and the original Rogue)... To show you what's really going on in these dark hallways and whatnot- PM me and if you promise not to share the code yet I'll give you a secret guy that can help show you what's going on around you easier! :mrgreen:

I haven't forgotten about your request on auto-run following hallways. It's just that it is not actually a bug, and unfortunately between programmers and non-programmers something that seems very easy turns out to be alarmingly complicated to write :) Plus I'm trying to get all the new features and bugfixes ready for another weekly update here. Once we're lower on stuff to do we can try to write a path following algorithm that wont just run around in circles like a madman when you reach a maze or looped corridor. For now, you'll have to tap a few extra times when you reach a corner :D Sorry for the inconvenience! :lol:
JesterDev

Post by JesterDev »

What you described is what happened. And it just dumped me back into the "springboard" with my apps. If I knew a bit more about ipod touch development (still learning) then I might have a suggestion as to where you might start to look. I was thinking, I am most likely wrong here, but it might be that the memory being allocated is still being retained and not released soon enough-something along those lines.. Having a hard time putting into words here-just got off work and I'm tired. :roll: But anyway I experienced something similar recently when playing around with some of my own code.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

JesterDev wrote:What you described is what happened. And it just dumped me back into the "springboard" with my apps. If I knew a bit more about ipod touch development (still learning) then I might have a suggestion as to where you might start to look. I was thinking, I am most likely wrong here, but it might be that the memory being allocated is still being retained and not released soon enough-something along those lines.. Having a hard time putting into words here-just got off work and I'm tired. :roll: But anyway I experienced something similar recently when playing around with some of my own code.
Ah ha! You're in the dev program? Have you been accepted? Can you use the "Organizer" window in Xcode to retrieve the crash log and PM me with it??? If you're willing but not sure how, just ask! :mrgreen:
JesterDev

Post by JesterDev »

I have not yet been accepted. But if I can provide that information for you somehow I will. I don't know if I can access that info without not first being accepted. I've been playing around with the simulator mostly. But I have a friend who has been accepted (were I had the crash with my code), so if I can get a hold of him (rare, as he is always out of town) I will gladly do it for you. If I can do it without being accepted let me know how.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

JesterDev wrote:I have not yet been accepted. But if I can provide that information for you somehow I will. I don't know if I can access that info without not first being accepted. I've been playing around with the simulator mostly. But I have a friend who has been accepted (were I had the crash with my code), so if I can get a hold of him (rare, as he is always out of town) I will gladly do it for you. If I can do it without being accepted let me know how.
I'm not sure if you're blocked completely from the "organizer" before acceptance- you might get the ability to open it and view crash logs... I'll do a bit of checking on that.
SurgE

Post by SurgE »

I think this is more of a presentation issue than a bug, but the capitalization of the text in the game is a bit wonky.
Some sentences start with capital letters while some sentences don't. I am not sure why that is so :D
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

SurgE wrote:I think this is more of a presentation issue than a bug, but the capitalization of the text in the game is a bit wonky.
Some sentences start with capital letters while some sentences don't. I am not sure why that is so :D
You noticed that huh? I know CD was looking at that because some of the text was copy/pasted from FAQ sites for authenticity, and some of it was typed in by us. We need to pick a case... The original had everything lowercase, so we might just do the same :lol: