Rogue Touch Version 2.0!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
swhatley

Re: Rogue Touch Version 2.0!

Post by swhatley »

Just curious. I have seen monsters appear from the stairs. If I was to paralyze/hold/sleep a monster on top of the stairs, would that prevent any new wandering monsters from being generated while I cleared the level?
swhatley

Post by swhatley »

After trying for 30 (yes, THIRTY!) years, I finally won in Rogue!!!
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Awesome swhatley, glad you were able to make a winning run!

RT2 has become slightly easier but its still a big accomplishment to return with the amulet :D

On your questions and observations:

You're right that the minimum room size was bumped to 3x3. Maximum room width was reduced slightly as well. Overall these changes should have balanced out to give roughly the same amount of floor space, but organized in a bit more interesting way.

The special / elemental weapons do give off a larger light radius. Also maybe not known but you can wield a staff of light and get that effect too! For the hallways it was a conscious choice to maintain the shorter light distance to keep things more suspenseful and claustrophobic. I wanted the player to still be able to have some of those "oh shit" moments when you are fleeing another enemy and suddenly one is right in front of you :lol:

Paralyzing a monster on the stairs wouldn't prevent new wanderers from appearing... however I think that is an interesting idea, and it might get added in an update! :geek:
Inrideo

Post by Inrideo »

Wow! The new art looks awesome :) I don't have an apple device any more but still pop by the page now and then to see what's up and if anything new is out.
Congrats on surviving the bug smushing. :D
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

I upgraded to a new iPhone and used ITunes to backup and restore to my new phone. I’m currently on a mega run that’s been going for a long while now so was bricking it that I’d lose the save file.

On floor 140 something with 1.9m gold, unless I make a big mistake I can’t see how I’m going to die. At this point it’s a war of concentration as I’m fully stacked in all that I need to keep going. Got a blessed long sword in the 30’s now for Vampire slaying and eventually found Spartan Armour. Was gutted as I had my armour at -23 but couldn’t not take the Spartan so had to build that up which is now -33. Could have been in the 50s now!

I now level hop each party floor once and have decided to keep going down until the vampires nobble my health under 200. At which point I’ll just level hop until I build It back up with potions.

I’ve perfected my inventory so I can’t get caught short on anything. Keeping a stack of remove curse after getting burned on my last good run! Got about 25 scare monster scrolls and about 50 paralyse monster potions/wands plus a a 70 stack of food.

It’s a long way to beat Mike l but that’s basically the aim now. Had a fair few crashes but I basically ignore all drops and move to the next floor. So far so good!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Inrideo wrote:Wow! The new art looks awesome :) I don't have an apple device any more but still pop by the page now and then to see what's up and if anything new is out.
Congrats on surviving the bug smushing. :D
Hi Inideo, thanks for the kind words! Someday I hope to expand beyond iOS / Apple but first I have to get out of my consulting and finish a few more of my game projects ;)

Jim2wheels wrote:I upgraded to a new iPhone and used ITunes to backup and restore to my new phone. I’m currently on a mega run that’s been going for a long while now so was bricking it that I’d lose the save file.

On floor 140 something with 1.9m gold, unless I make a big mistake I can’t see how I’m going to die. At this point it’s a war of concentration as I’m fully stacked in all that I need to keep going. Got a blessed long sword in the 30’s now for Vampire slaying and eventually found Spartan Armour. Was gutted as I had my armour at -23 but couldn’t not take the Spartan so had to build that up which is now -33. Could have been in the 50s now!

I now level hop each party floor once and have decided to keep going down until the vampires nobble my health under 200. At which point I’ll just level hop until I build It back up with potions.

I’ve perfected my inventory so I can’t get caught short on anything. Keeping a stack of remove curse after getting burned on my last good run! Got about 25 scare monster scrolls and about 50 paralyse monster potions/wands plus a a 70 stack of food.

It’s a long way to beat Mike l but that’s basically the aim now. Had a fair few crashes but I basically ignore all drops and move to the next floor. So far so good!

Haha this is amazing stuff Jim2wheels!

Of course you know I'll have to make things a bit more difficult in an update... in the meantime I look forward to seeing how far you can push the boundary in V2.0.064 :mrgreen:
swhatley

Post by swhatley »

I now have an iPhone 8 plus. Very nice screen for playing RT2!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

swhatley wrote:After trying for 30 (yes, THIRTY!) years, I finally won in Rogue!!!
CONGRATS!!! :D

CommanderData wrote:Paralyzing a monster on the stairs wouldn't prevent new wanderers from appearing... however I think that is an interesting idea, and it might get added in an update! :geek:
Sounds like a cool idea!

Curious: Does Rogue Touch ever do any out-of-depth monster spawning?
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

swhatley wrote:I now have an iPhone 8 plus. Very nice screen for playing RT2!
Yeah the 8 screens are very nice, and the OLED on the iPhone X is pretty amazing... Can't wait to do some more work on all this soon!

Nighthawk wrote:
CommanderData wrote:Paralyzing a monster on the stairs wouldn't prevent new wanderers from appearing... however I think that is an interesting idea, and it might get added in an update! :geek:
Sounds like a cool idea!

Curious: Does Rogue Touch ever do any out-of-depth monster spawning?
Out-of-depth spawning does occur on the way back out with the Amulet. It can also occur randomly on the way down into the depths, but only when playing as a secret character!

There are also cases where you get a buff version of a normal monster (much greater HP, generally tougher to hit and stronger)... these will appear in the same cases as Out-of-depth spawning. If you are ever killed by a buff monster you'll see a "*" on the monster in your Hall of Fame :mrgreen:
mickeymammoth

Post by mickeymammoth »

I’ve noticed that skeletons almost always come alive if you try to loot them. Since they are so powerful, I never loot them anymore lest I get killed. Shouldn’t the ratio of loot to come alive be the opposite?

I also noticed that dragons can shoot fireballs across maze walls, which doesn’t seem right.

When playing a normal character, I get killed too often within the first 3 floors, like 50% of the time. This is a huge annoyance.

Love the kick down door feature. I hope you don’t add a wake monster penalty. It speeds game play so much, I can’t bear he thought of resorting to searching. Funny thing I found this feature by accident and didn’t even realize it was new.

I wish rings made you less hungry. They’re kind of semi-useless as a result.

Nymphs seem to love stealing good weapons, good armor, and good rings. They are truly dangerous. I feel like their theft isn’t random. Remember the days when they were buggy and always stole the top item in your pack?

Thanks for this game!!! My all time favorite. Like a lot of you, I played the original version when I was 13 on our first family PC, a 486. I don’t think I ever won that game.