Screwed

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Nagster

Screwed

Post by Nagster »

On my quest to win with each special character, I've ran into another problem. I have been trying to win with the character Gandalf....I have tried at least twenty times and have come up short every time...but my latest attempt has me ready to give up....I'm on level 22 with a +2 +2 two handed sword, -2 armor (-5 with a +3 armor ring), my strength is 14 (with a +3 add strength ring), several good wands and staff,potions and scrolls....the problem is when i descended to level 22 it put me a spot that i am unable to move from. I do not know how to upload the picture i took to the forum so let me try to describe...If you looked at the dots on a die (dice) and it landed on a five i am stuck in the middle dot, dark spaces above, below, left and right of me. I've tried to search for a hidden door but to no avail....If only i had a scroll of teleport i may be able to continue. Just want to report it and to see if you have seen this before. If you would like to see the picture let me know how to upload to a forum.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Screwed

Post by CommanderData »

I think I can visualize what you mean. It sounds like you were dropped into a maze, but the maze has a malformed section with no direct north, south, east, or west directions (only diagonals). You cannot move in diagonals in hallways, mazes, or doorways, which is why this has you stuck in place.

A very unlucky spot to end up in, I think that's only happened one or two times in two years of Rogue Touch playing. I definitely classify that as a bug, and will try to come up with rules to prevent being placed on a spot like that. Next trick will be to ensure the stairs or amulet never appear in a place like that, because if it happened to you, it's likely to happen to one of those items someday... which would also be a game-ender :evil:

Thanks for the report on it, sorry that you got stopped short of the goal! :oops:
Nagster

Post by Nagster »

You described it correctly...dropped into a maze and nowhere to move. well it at first you don't succeed, try, try again.. thanks for the quick response. I can't wait for your new games to come out...Happy Diving
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

CommanderData wrote:Next trick will be to ensure the stairs or amulet never appear in a place like that, because if it happened to you, it's likely to happen to one of those items someday... which would also be a game-ender :evil:
They're both bugs, but only the stairs being so placed would be a game-ender - the other would just be really annoying.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Nighthawk wrote:
CommanderData wrote:Next trick will be to ensure the stairs or amulet never appear in a place like that, because if it happened to you, it's likely to happen to one of those items someday... which would also be a game-ender :evil:
They're both bugs, but only the stairs being so placed would be a game-ender - the other would just be really annoying.
True, you could just descend to level 27 and pick up the amulet there if it was blocked in a maze like that. But if the stairs were to end up there... ugh. Don't want to think about it. I hate the maze generation code *so much* [holds arms as far apart as they can go]

No mazes in Spirit Hunter Mineko, I promise :D
Zaxxon

Post by Zaxxon »

Being trapped (as Nagster was) would be much worse than this:
photo.PNG
photo.PNG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 57985 times
I was able to bypass with a trap door.
F mazes, get gold.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

@Zaxxon: On that kind of run, having the steps generate that way is total suckage. Luckily you were on a low enough floor that a trap door or two is almost a guarantee.

Not judging, just curious: how much level dancing did it take to get -114 AC?
Zaxxon

Post by Zaxxon »

Nighthawk wrote:Not judging, just curious: how much level dancing did it take to get -114 AC?
No shame in my game.

The dungeon gets stingy with gold payouts if you try to descend too far (around the point where you start taking damage, conveniently enough) or hang out near the surface. So there's a zone of floors that I stay within to maximize profit. As you get more powerful this zone shifts lower.
F mazes, get gold.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Zaxxon wrote:Being trapped (as Nagster was) would be much worse than this:
photo.PNG
I was able to bypass with a trap door.
I know this was a long time ago while I was in a galaxy far, far away, but FYI- New dungeon generation rules are coming that eliminate this horribly evil thing so you can't get trapped again. Kudos for getting around it with a trapdoor though ;)
Zaxxon

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool. You might want to remove the duplicate score I somehow ended up with on the high score page, too.
F mazes, get gold.