Vampire sacrifice for the Win

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
oldroguer

Vampire sacrifice for the Win

Post by oldroguer »

I just finished my second winning trip to the dungeons with a non-special character <YAY!>, and I gotta tell you, a weapon of freezing is your best friend. It really evens the odds against Griffons, Dragons, Jabberwocks, and other fast beasties. There were some encounters where the beast never even got a swing at me because he was 1) slowed, then 2) frozen solid twice, then 3) died! I only had 18 STR and AC 4 when I found the Amulet. I didn't get Protect Armor until Level 19 so it was slow going trying to detect rust traps. And, fortunately, I had a Ring of Slow Digestion so I could use food to sleep the occasional Medusa until my confusion cleared.

Having won several times with Neo and once with Thor (I had forgotten how useful knockback is!), it was great to get a "real" win again. This was only my second win ever since first playing Rogue back in the 80's.

On the way back up, I encountered a Vampire on Level 1. I was able to maneuver it to the altar and sacrifice it to CD in celebration of my victory.
Attachments
Sacrificing a vampire to celebrate a successful journey
Sacrificing a vampire to celebrate a successful journey
Vampire Sacrifice.PNG (75.46 KiB) Viewed 17094 times
NightOwl40

Re: Vampire sacrifice for the Win

Post by NightOwl40 »

LOL Great job!! :D I have yet to survive to exit, even though I've gotten the damn amulet several times :P
oldroguer

Re: Vampire sacrifice for the Win

Post by oldroguer »

Marok just made his third successful run! I'm really proud of this one because he wasn't very buff: 17/18 STR for most of the ascent, AC 4, and only 122 HP. He did have the most impressive weapon I've experienced so far: +7, +5 flaming katana of dragon slaying! Kinda cool killing a dragon in two hits.

One tip I'd like to share that has really made a difference in my two successful runs: once you get to Level 20 or 21, don't waste time clearing the levels. Just find the stairs and dive. In the past, I've wasted so much time (and food) clearing each and every level, only to die before I even get to 26. If you have a decent weapon and armor and enough food, then full speed ahead to get the amulet. If you don't, then IMHO after playing this game for 30 years, you're better off falling on your sword and starting over. You're only prolonging the inevitable.

Now, if only I had not made some many runs with specials, Marok would be showing up in my Hall of Fame. Oh well...

Happy questing!

- OR