Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Waggas

Re: Bug Reports

Post by Waggas »

Hey all.

First up, nice Rogue game. Nice tweaks to what I remember playing back in the late 80's on some ancient IBM PC.

Now, the bug report! Using a 3G with 4.whatever-the-current-version-is. Sometimes on locking the phone (screen off etc) the game continues for at least 2-3 turns. I've had emu's peck me to death from 30+ health. I've also had a Troll brain me. quite annoying when you've got a good game going. I haven't quite worked out when/how this continues, or why it's skipping the players turns. Maybe it's locking onto rest of search or something.

I'll post more details if I work it out.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

iPhone 3GS 32GB, iOS4.0.1

Hey CD,

I can now confirm that, in fact, the Nymph-stealing bug is not fixed ("fixed" in v1.51). I had a Nymph steal from me on 3 separate occasions in my last game (a winner!) and all 3 times, it was the last item in my pack.

Additionally:
*Xerocs still seem to be doing things they shouldn't, in hallways: Found one in a non-maze hallway "unmasked" (appeared as a Xeroc the whole time) and found one in a non-maze hallway "masked" (which properly revealed itself when attacked). If I'm not mistaken, Xerocs should never be found in non-maze hallways in any form.

Request:
*Can you make the auto-run stop on the "You are feeling Faint!" message?
Elric

Post by Elric »

Nighthawk wrote:Dumb question: when you say the monster dropped "items" (plural), was it really more than one item? Was the monster a skeleton? If so, this is a known bug.

Hmm it very possibly might have been a skelly. I know I have a bugged game now with a dead skelly on level 3 and if I try to loot the skelly the game immiediately crashes. The skeleton never "wakes" up it just crashes the game as soon as I step onto the corpse.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Ok, I agree there is still something very odd with the skeleton's "pack" of items. It looks like it can get corrupted in some way.

When the crash occurs just by walking onto your previous corpse, that means it was not going to "wake up" (the odds of having to fight it increase or decrease depending on certain factors), and you simply find one item from your previous pack as you step into that square.

I need to figure out what is happening that mangles these pack items... has to be either during the save at your death, or reloading for use on the floor you died at. If anyone has an instance of this happening repeatedly, I urge you to go download "iPhone Explorer" or a similar program that allows you to access the iPhone file system, and send me all save data for your current game. Thanks! :D

Nighthawk-

* Nymphs - it'd be really unlucky, but possible that the last item of your pack was stolen 3 times in a row. The Nymph is supposed to skip over all "non-magic" items, and skip the amulet of course, when choosing. If you happened to have only a couple of magical items on you the "coin toss" might work out this way. If you have NO magical items on you, she'd go for the last item in the pack that was not the amulet or being worn or used. I will look into it more. Maybe simulate a floor full of Nymphs and treasure to test with ;)

* Xerocs - Normally they should remain stationary and disguised. Aggravation scrolls and rings may rouse them, or getting hit with something from a distance. Any of these things happen in your case?

* Stop auto-run on Faint Feeling - a good idea!!! I think I can manage that ;)
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Nymphs - I had at least 6 wands/staves/rods, and several different types of potions, all listed above my scrolls, of which I had at least 4 types. The item stolen each time was a scroll, the last item listed in my pack. The reason I said that I had confirmed it is because the odds are at least 1000 to 1 (10 to 1 ^ 3) against it being anything else.

Xerocs - No aggravation scroll or ring, not hit from a distance (especially the "disguised in the hall" one).
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Nighthawk wrote:Nymphs - I had at least 6 wands/staves/rods, and several different types of potions, all listed above my scrolls, of which I had at least 4 types. The item stolen each time was a scroll, the last item listed in my pack. The reason I said that I had confirmed it is because the odds are at least 1000 to 1 (10 to 1 ^ 3) against it being anything else.

Xerocs - No aggravation scroll or ring, not hit from a distance (especially the "disguised in the hall" one).

An interesting thought occurs, I wonder if the Xerocs that are not behaving properly are "respawns"? Some number of steps after arriving on a new floor, monsters will begin to be generated randomly on the floor. Even if you clear it completely, another monster eventually appears. *Maybe* the system is creating Xerocs in the respawn (which it should not)... a respawn monster is automatically created awake and exploring, which means a Xeroc would no longer be disguised... :ugeek:

I obviously have to review the Nymph a bit more then! A floor full of them and treasures will be in order ;)
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

CommanderData wrote:An interesting thought occurs, I wonder if the Xerocs that are not behaving properly are "respawns"? Some number of steps after arriving on a new floor, monsters will begin to be generated randomly on the floor. Even if you clear it completely, another monster eventually appears. *Maybe* the system is creating Xerocs in the respawn (which it should not)... a respawn monster is automatically created awake and exploring, which means a Xeroc would no longer be disguised... :ugeek:
Explains the one that I saw in a hallway that was undisguised, but not the one that was disguised -- unless they re-disguise themselves after a certain period of time?
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

I don't think they can "re-disguise" themselves, the code shouldn't allow that. It's more likely that some are spawned asleep/disguised and some are spawned awake and in their natural form. I think it may be easy to prevent new Xerocs from spawning at all, so that will be the first step :D
RavenWorks

Post by RavenWorks »

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but the Equipment page doesn't mention it -- are Rings of Protection meant to increase your hunger rate? I put on two, and I went from eating once every few floors, to eating twice per floor... I removed one of the rings, and it's slightly slower, but still noticeably faster than normal. Did a flag get mixed up with the regeneration ring? Or is this just a side effect of wearing all rings, that I didn't know about?
RavenWorks

Post by RavenWorks »

By the way, I had the "third invisible status line" (i.e. status updates are delayed by one) bug happen again -- and though it was a while ago (I forgot to report it until now! sorry!) I'm almost positive that it was upon starting a new game, and I'm *entirely* positive that it was after hard-quitting the program (and then returning to it fresh). Once again, it went away on its own when I soft-quit and returned, I believe.

And about the 'low memory warning' -- I've never had it appear *while* playing, but almost without fail when I return to the game after doing something else, the status area is filled with two lines of it. Is that message really necessary to the end user, especially if it's so apparently harmless, and there's nothing the user can really do about it anwyay?