iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance - Fixed in V1.6(?)

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance

Post by CommanderData »

Rogue Touch V1.6 went live last night as expected based on the review status with Apple! Lots of nice little details there, but I am most interested in peoples experiences with this on iOS 4 (any device). Biffsnot, how is your 3G iPhone speed? Anyone else with iOS 4 please chime in too :D
chyatt

Post by chyatt »

3G speed is outstanding - even better than it was before iOS 4. Great work - thanks!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

chyatt wrote:3G speed is outstanding - even better than it was before iOS 4. Great work - thanks!
Hurray! That's my first confirmation of great play on an older device. :D

Just to confirm, you are running Rogue Touch v1.6 on a 3G iPhone with iOS 4.0 (or the recently released iOS 4.01)?

If anyone else has feedback on game speed in iOS 4 with a 2nd gen iPod Touch, and especially any other 3G iPhone users that have iOS 4, please let me know. Fingers crossed that the speed is much better for every user of course! :mrgreen:
oldroguer

Re: iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance - Fixed in V1.6(?)

Post by oldroguer »

I am running RT on an iPhone 3G with iOS4 (not 4.01) and all i can say is...O. My. Go*!!! Perf is way better than it ever has been. I'm no longer running, I'm sprinting.

Can't say enough about how cool this new version is, and I haven't even found the new goodies yet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

oldroguer wrote:I am running RT on an iPhone 3G with iOS4 (not 4.01) and all i can say is...O. My. Go*!!! Perf is way better than it ever has been. I'm no longer running, I'm sprinting.

Can't say enough about how cool this new version is, and I haven't even found the new goodies yet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Oldroguer, thank you in return for the speed report!

Glad the performance has improved so much for you in 1.6. Now I just hope that Apple doesn't magically fix the problem with CGContextDrawImage- Rogue Touch may go so fast that you will travel backwards in time! *

* - Not really, but it'll be interesting to see if I actually need to throttle it down a bit when they do :mrgreen:
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

My new iPhone 4 is supposed to arrive today and I can only imagine how much faster yet RT is going to be.

I won't be able to actually see myself any more...

</obscure Star Trek reference>
I'll just hear this strange insect buzzing noise
</reference>
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

Just got my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.0.1) last night. Activated, restored from iTunes backup, got email working, then of course had to see just how much faster RT was.

I started RT, was pleasantly surprised to see Resume Game was an option, so I did. Start up and intial game screen rendering were the fastest I've seen. I was on a completed level (which is how I usually step away from a playing session), so I decided to just run around and see the speed difference.

Unbelievable! Running halfway across the mini map takes almost no time at all. I threw a spear and it vanished in a blur that I almost couldn't see...wait a sec...I lost that spear killing a vampire my last session. And...wait...my plate armour is still at +4 when I know it was down to +2 from rust damage. Holy crap!!! I ran so fast that I traveled back in time?!!! Not sure if this is one of those "goodies" CD was promising or not, and I'm not sure how to use this to my advantage yet, but OK.

Oh wait...I didn't backup my old 3G right before restoring to the 4 so I'm working off an older copy of my game data. That makes more sense.

But for a moment there.....
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

oldroguer wrote:Just got my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.0.1) last night. Activated, restored from iTunes backup, got email working, then of course had to see just how much faster RT was.

I started RT, was pleasantly surprised to see Resume Game was an option, so I did. Start up and intial game screen rendering were the fastest I've seen. I was on a completed level (which is how I usually step away from a playing session), so I decided to just run around and see the speed difference.

Unbelievable! Running halfway across the mini map takes almost no time at all. I threw a spear and it vanished in a blur that I almost couldn't see...wait a sec...I lost that spear killing a vampire my last session. And...wait...my plate armour is still at +4 when I know it was down to +2 from rust damage. Holy crap!!! I ran so fast that I traveled back in time?!!! Not sure if this is one of those "goodies" CD was promising or not, and I'm not sure how to use this to my advantage yet, but OK.

Oh wait...I didn't backup my old 3G right before restoring to the 4 so I'm working off an older copy of my game data. That makes more sense.

But for a moment there.....
Haha! You had me going for a minute there! Makes sense, if you'd backed up earlier and then restored your new iPhone 4 you ended up with whatever save was in progress at that point in time. Hope you enjoy the crisp text on the iPhone 4, as well as the Fast-App-Switching... these things have really made me enjoy playing Rogue Touch more than ever :mrgreen:
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

Just found one of the new additions with 1.6. Drank an unknown potion and "it feels like razor blades going down". Ouch! Don't know the official name of the pot cuz I haven't run across it again. Also not totally sure of the effect; I think I lost some health but I wasn't paying enough attention.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

oldroguer wrote:Just found one of the new additions with 1.6. Drank an unknown potion and "it feels like razor blades going down". Ouch! Don't know the official name of the pot cuz I haven't run across it again. Also not totally sure of the effect; I think I lost some health but I wasn't paying enough attention.
Yep, that's the new potion... Not quite fit for human consumption! Try throwing it at an enemy next time you find one :mrgreen: