Strength --- Details please!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Waladil

Strength --- Details please!

Post by Waladil »

Hey yall. I just started playing RT a few days ago, and I'm getting better. I managed to get to 30 before dying with Neo. Anyway, I can be a bit of a powergamer, and was hoping to get some specific details on how strength works. I tried to read the forums, but flicking through 8 pages on an iPhone isn't my idea of fun (read: I wanna get back to RT!). I saw mention that it mods to-hit and damage, and I started knocking enemies back with Neo aroung 24 str... Could someone verify specifically stuff like that? (preferably in an easy-to-read table format)

Thanks a lot.
Nighthawk

Re: Strength --- Details please!

Post by Nighthawk »

Working backwards:

Knockbacks were recently added to the game. The higher your strength, the better your chance to knockback an enemy. You can increase your chances even more by wielding a battle axe, war hammer, or two-handed sword. There is no concrete information on strength vs knockback chance.

For strength vs. damage bonus, I can point you to the only source I know of: http://userpages.monmouth.com/~colonel/rvm.html - The Rogue's Vade-Mecum. What you're looking for is about two-thirds of the way down that very long page, and you'll want to use the V4 listing, as the way strength vs damage bonus is calculated didn't change much for V5, which is what Rogue Touch is based on (for example, there's only one strength level 18 - version 4 of Rogue mirrored the way Dungeons and Dragons did it). There's one caveat here: CD didn't use all of the stats from version 5 of Rogue straight up, so the numbers may be slightly different, and again, there's no concrete chart.

As for strength having a to-hit bonus, I'm not sure. I had originally posted here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=410#p2717 that high strength did provide a to-hit bonus of some kind, but then backtracked and requested that CD chime in on the issue to get a definite answer. That request went unnoticed... hopefully this one will not (I made that one a pretty bright red color too).
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Short version for easy reading:

If strength <= 16, there is *no* to-hit bonus. It is non-linear from there, but between strength of 17 to 31 you can get from +1 to +5 to-hit.

If strength < 16, there is *no* damage bonus. A strength of 16 gives +1 damage, and it is non-linear from there, up to +8 at a strength of 31.

Base knockback chance is 10%, modified by weapon type, strength, and player level. Strength less than 16 reduces your chances, a strength of 31 would add +30% to your knockback chance :mrgreen:
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

So, I read that as: If my strength is below 16, there are no to-hit or damage penalties? Pretty sure I'm wrong here, and that there is a penalty, but since we're splitting hairs... :-)
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Nighthawk wrote:So, I read that as: If my strength is below 16, there are no to-hit or damage penalties? Pretty sure I'm wrong here, and that there is a penalty, but since we're splitting hairs... :-)
Split away! Actually it's pretty much flat below 16 strength, until you get a strength of 6 or less, then you'll end up having subtractions on to-hit and damage... worst case is -3,-3 if you get down to strength 3 I believe... :ugeek:
Waladil

Post by Waladil »

So 31 is the effective maximum for strength, the point beyond which more strength doesn't matter?
Except as a buffer, of course