Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by Zakia »

LordGek wrote:A new concept for you, if not already in the game mechanics, would be to better differentiate the weapons. The easiest I'd think would be to give some weapons intrinsic bonuses/penalties to hit (+2 for daggers and -2 for a two handed sword). More advanced stuff might get into special bonuses for specific weapons vs. beasties (like maces doing 2x damage to zombies) or giving certain types of weapons intrinsic abilities like daggers sometimes performing a double strike or a two handed sword blow having a chance to knock an opponent back a space.
If you discovered some secrets, you coud find that some weapons had spell effects upon hit such as slow, freeze, fire, and there is > vs enemy equipment, although if it works is trivial (I never felt a difference). I really like your ideas ^_^

However cool as changing hit times is, you have to consider the value of +'s. If a +1 dagger hits twice, it expresses it's initial damage twice, and then it's +1 twice. Although a 2 handed sword may be 2X as strong innately, it would only take advantage of that +1 once.

Not to mention, +hit will unbalance daggers a bit more. In short, 2 hit weapons exploit bonuses a lot.
</cynic>

I had a new random idea: Game setups.
Why should we all have 2 modes, purist and modern, when we can make a balance inbetween?
Say you want no shops but the new items from enhanced mode. You can change those settings in an in-game settings menu (One of CD's ideas) and make it happen. Of course, this would have to take effect upon a new game, but it's better than sectionizing purists and new players, and makes it more focused on playing your own way.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

My ideas were only to be taken as loose examples, I was only looking to make it so that even completely unenhanced weapons had some unique aspects to them just from their family of weapon. Maybe easier is making it that some of the game's cooler spell effects are more likely for a certain type of weapon? I mean, as it stands now what is the difference between a longsword and a mace? Isn't it just that a longsword is better damage? I really don't want to fark with the balance and do agree that the double dagger could be a bit over the top.

Customizable options is a good idea ALTHOUGH if we ever get into scoring competitions will have to make sure everyone is playing by the same parameters.

Perhaps a good compromise would be, along with having this completely customizable, a few preset parameter packages. Like something called "Old School" where everything is set as close to original Rogue as possible and then maybe one or two other unique combos as well so that when scoreboards come about folk can be using one of the standardized rule sets (if this makes sense).
Zakia wrote:
LordGek wrote:A new concept for you, if not already in the game mechanics, would be to better differentiate the weapons. The easiest I'd think would be to give some weapons intrinsic bonuses/penalties to hit (+2 for daggers and -2 for a two handed sword). More advanced stuff might get into special bonuses for specific weapons vs. beasties (like maces doing 2x damage to zombies) or giving certain types of weapons intrinsic abilities like daggers sometimes performing a double strike or a two handed sword blow having a chance to knock an opponent back a space.
If you discovered some secrets, you coud find that some weapons had spell effects upon hit such as slow, freeze, fire, and there is > vs enemy equipment, although if it works is trivial (I never felt a difference). I really like your ideas ^_^

However cool as changing hit times is, you have to consider the value of +'s. If a +1 dagger hits twice, it expresses it's initial damage twice, and then it's +1 twice. Although a 2 handed sword may be 2X as strong innately, it would only take advantage of that +1 once.

Not to mention, +hit will unbalance daggers a bit more. In short, 2 hit weapons exploit bonuses a lot.
</cynic>

I had a new random idea: Game setups.
Why should we all have 2 modes, purist and modern, when we can make a balance inbetween?
Say you want no shops but the new items from enhanced mode. You can change those settings in an in-game settings menu (One of CD's ideas) and make it happen. Of course, this would have to take effect upon a new game, but it's better than sectionizing purists and new players, and makes it more focused on playing your own way.
Detzlink

Post by Detzlink »

Having it all customizable would bring confusion at the time of ranking.
Definitely there must be a classic mode (with their classic mode rankings) but maybe you could customize the advanced mode or we could have a third scoreboard "Custom Rogue" in where players could choose their own options and play as they want.

About version 1.1, I played it alot and I have noticed some things.

I think the rate of getting a superweapon is too high, I have found LOADS of them, flaming two handed swords, blessed maces, lighting darts, etc. They should be extremely hard to get. I think superweapons make the game too easy and somehow take the rogue feel. I still like them, though, but I would like too see them on advanced mode.

The rate of getting a normal weapon is lower than the rate of getting a superweapon...I have found more superweapons since the patch than normal weapons before the patch :?

By the way, It would be interesting that you could touch the names on the Hall of Fame and show the Rest in Peace screen, that way we could see the amout of gold or the future amount of turns without getting the Hall of Fame main screen too cluttered. :)
Last edited by Detzlink on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

This is why I argued for some standardized set of parameters and the truly customizable shoot might as only be for one's own personal scoreboard.
Detzlink wrote:Having it all customizable would bring confusion at the time of ranking.
Definitely there must be a classic mode (with their classic mode rankings) but maybe you could customize the advanced mode or we could have a third scoreboard "Custom Rogue" in where players could choose their own options and play as they want.

About version 1.1, I played it alot and I have noticed some things.

I think the rate of getting a superweapon is too high, I have found LOADS of them, flaming two handed swords, blessed maces, lighting darts, etc. They should be extremely hard to get. I think superweapons make the game too easy and somehow take the rogue feel. I still like them, though, but I would like too see them on advanced mode.

The rate of getting a normal weapon is lower than the rate of getting a superweapon...I have found more superweapons since the patch than normal weapons before the patch :?
Detzlink

Post by Detzlink »

LordGek wrote:This is why I argued for some standardized set of parameters and the truly customizable shoot might as only be for one's own personal scoreboard.
Yes, what i meant with the third global scoreboard is that instead of reducing the parameters of customization for the classic mode, to be on the classic rogue scoreboard the game should be the classic rogue as we have seen it on version 1.0 and the advanced scoreboard should be with all the new features (shops, superweapons, etc). Zakia mentioned the option of having it all customizable but that, as you said, would create confusion at the time of scoreboarding so having a third scoreboard "custom rogue" would be the solution?
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

I guess I just don't see a point to a global "custom" scoreboard as there would be no fair comparative point.
Detzlink wrote:
LordGek wrote:This is why I argued for some standardized set of parameters and the truly customizable shoot might as only be for one's own personal scoreboard.
Yes, what i meant with the third global scoreboard is that instead of reducing the parameters of customization for the classic mode, to be on the classic rogue scoreboard the game should be the classic rogue as we have seen it on version 1.0 and the advanced scoreboard should be with all the new features (shops, superweapons, etc). Zakia mentioned the option of having it all customizable but that, as you said, would create confusion at the time of scoreboarding so having a third scoreboard "custom rogue" would be the solution?
Detzlink

Post by Detzlink »

LordGek wrote:I guess I just don't see a point to a global "custom" scoreboard as there would be no fair comparative point.
Detzlink wrote:
You are right, I was just proposing a possible solution for the customizability and scoreboading problem. Guess that If you want to customize your game, you will forfeit highscores.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Hi guys! I've been studying the discussion here with interest. I agree that superweapons are showing up with alarming frequency. The oddest thing is the percentages don't suggest that they should-

You have roughly 20% chance of a weapon being cursed, only 10% chance of it being beneficial magically (+1 or so), and about 10% chance of being super.... That has been tweaked down for 1.2 already, but it is troubling that the random number generator seems very "un-random" at times. We have shuffled things up a bit so that hopefully it will be more challenging again in 1.2, and probably a bit more tweaking will occur for 1.3- which already has a bugfix assigned to it based on "The lr100 Effect" (see the Bug Reports for info ;) )...

I've been discussing scoring and online leaderboards today, coincidentally a few hours before Rogue Touch received a nasty one-star review for not showing the score in the Hall of Fame.

Let me go on the record saying that I never cared for the single "score" value and that's why I left it out with the hopes of doing something special in its place. Based on some work done today and a talk that I've had with a third party we may even see online leaderboards sooner than expected. That includes the more advanced scoring and statistics collection that I discussed in the roadmap announcement. Oh if you're reading this Jofi3072, we'd really appreciate you reviewing Rogue Touch on it's merits and giving a better star-rating :D We've been working very hard to make this the best darn game of Rogue ever and it's obvious we're close since that's the worst thing you could find with it :lol:
Detzlink

Post by Detzlink »

CommanderData wrote:Hi guys! I've been studying the discussion here with interest. I agree that superweapons are showing up with alarming frequency. The oddest thing is the percentages don't suggest that they should-

You have roughly 20% chance of a weapon being cursed, only 10% chance of it being beneficial magically (+1 or so), and about 10% chance of being super.... That has been tweaked down for 1.2 already, but it is troubling that the random number generator seems very "un-random" at times. We have shuffled things up a bit so that hopefully it will be more challenging again in 1.2, and probably a bit more tweaking will occur for 1.3- which already has a bugfix assigned to it based on "The lr100 Effect" (see the Bug Reports for info ;) )...

I've been discussing scoring and online leaderboards today, coincidentally a few hours before Rogue Touch received a nasty one-star review for not showing the score in the Hall of Fame.

Let me go on the record saying that I never cared for the single "score" value and that's why I left it out with the hopes of doing something special in its place. Based on some work done today and a talk that I've had with a third party we may even see online leaderboards sooner than expected. That includes the more advanced scoring and statistics collection that I discussed in the roadmap announcement. Oh if you're reading this Jofi3072, we'd really appreciate you reviewing Rogue Touch on it's merits and giving a better star-rating :D We've been working very hard to make this the best darn game of Rogue ever and it's obvious we're close since that's the worst thing you could find with it :lol:
Don't know how version 1.2 would be but based on my version 1.1's experiences I'd narrow the chances of getting a superweapon down to 5% or so.

About the Hall of Fame
Detzlink wrote:By the way, It would be interesting that you could touch the names on the Hall of Fame and show the Rest in Peace screen, that way we could see the amout of gold or the future amount of turns without getting the Hall of Fame main screen too cluttered.
Last edited by Detzlink on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

Detzlink wrote:By the way, It would be interesting that you could touch the names on the Hall of Fame and show the Rest in Peace screen, that way we could see the amout of gold or the future amount of turns without getting the Hall of Fame main screen too cluttered.
Nice one! I like the idea of keeping the main entries no more than maybe two lines but then having more details when an entry is selected like turns, ending gold, and maybe (like in Shiren) what you had equipped at the end (weapon, armor, rings).