Leaderboard Challenge - CommanderData's Angels Edition!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
twalkabout

Re: Leaderboard Challenge - CommanderData's Angels Edition!

Post by twalkabout »

well i had time to play a couple games on a train, and managed to at least get out alive with the amulet and get on the board, but i don't see myself beating nighthawk's sub 10,000 run (congrats!). i am proud to note that i'm the poorest winner. i notice scotopia's beat it 4 times already with athena. at least this contest is keeping him away from trying to beat my richest amulet score, which i notice golgo 13 came perilously close to. way to go to get down to level 40 and back out alive though. CD, you should keep up the deepest floor for more than 7 days, that's a impressive accomplishment. (not to mention the richest amulet, so i won't have to try to get that score again).

an in-game step counter would be awesome for these kinds of contests. otherwise it's really hard to gage where you are at until you die or win. clearing the in game hall of fame worked. maybe rather than a feature to clear it, expand it to hold 1000 scores or something, or have different categories in game such as fastest, etc like the online leaderboards?

jhawk, you probably know everything in this already, but i did write a little guide on the scare monster scroll although on my first attempt at athena, i had a pretty quick run going when i got dropped by a pit trap into the attached pic situation, and then in my jet-lagged state managed to drop a scroll of sleep instead of the scare monster scroll. it did not end well.

also, some questions on the zap feature of vorpalized weapons i had on this run:
1) does athena not have a zap feature to her medusa killing spear?
2) i thought i heard some hinting about the vorpalize zapping accidently working on any monster as a bug. i attempted this with a bat killing spear on a dragon. i think the whole dungeon laughed at me or something. was this a cruel joke?
3) i also had a dragon killing crossbow in this run (and for once actually even had bolts!), and when i wielded it and used the R button to shoot some bolts, i think it wasted my dragon zap?

well i prob won't be able to post again for a bit, but CD this was a really cool idea for a contest, going for speed adds a whole new element. oh also the leaderboard would be cool if it showed what level the amulet holders died on (so you could feel their pain if it was level 1 with 8000 steps or something)
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 16910 times
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

i remember reading your post on how to use one, i was just half asleep and didnt remember, until after i was dead anway, at first i thought i dropped the wrong scroll

d'oh
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Finally made it out, but I'm #6 with 14337 :( (throwing out multiple runs ahead of me from others) Hitting multiple pit traps on my way up and several dungeons from levels 10-3 that I had to backtrack to search multiple rooms for secret doors really hurt me.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

twalkabout wrote:well i had time to play a couple games on a train, and managed to at least get out alive with the amulet and get on the board, but i don't see myself beating nighthawk's sub 10,000 run (congrats!).
Thanks! :D
twalkabout wrote: also, some questions on the zap feature of vorpalized weapons i had on this run:
1) does athena not have a zap feature to her medusa killing spear?
From the Bug Reports thread:
CommanderData wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Playing as Athena, version 1.5 (as a part of the contest):

1) Athena does not automatically identify scrolls that you are unable to pick up because your pack is full.

2) Athena's spear does not come with a one time Zap ability (which got me killed :evil:)
Hmmm....

1) That's interesting, hadn't tested for that since it's not a normal ability! I would assume that any character with auto-identification of an item-type probably suffers from the same affliction then. I suppose I could argue that they need to physically pick it up to tell what it is, but that could be considered a cop-out :lol:

2) I left the zap ability off hers intentionally (and most other people who start with "slaying" weaponry. I could also do the opposite- create a character with a slaying weapon that has more than one charge on it! I think I'll leave that one alone ;)

Working on the update a bit in the hotel here... Did find the bug that causes the Nymph to steal the last item from your pack and fixed it... much to the dismay of people who relied on that I'm sure :lol:
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

Here's the latest rankings as of 04/22/09 at 8:16PM PST!

1) Nighthawk winning as Atehna in 9453 turns!
2) Jhawk winning as Athena in 10575 turns!
3) Scotopia winning as Athena in 12781 turns!
4) Nohbdy* winning as Athena in 12973 turns! (*most likely but still hope to verify soon)
5) Twalabout winning as Athena in 13085 turns!

Welcome aboard Twalkabout and the new champion (of the moment at least), Nighthawk!
nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

OK. Just got a Ripley on the winners list. Most. Annoying. Game. Ever. It took me like an hour to get to level 23 after getting the amulet...stupid pit traps made me go to level 27 and level 26 multiple times. The stairs always seemed to be in the last room I looked. The secret doors were all so well hidden. There were so many mazes that I had to go into. Even a teleport trap in front of one of the doors thrown in for good measure...
LordGek

Post by LordGek »

nohbdy wrote:OK. Just got a Ripley on the winners list. Most. Annoying. Game. Ever. It took me like an hour to get to level 23 after getting the amulet...stupid pit traps made me go to level 27 and level 26 multiple times. The stairs always seemed to be in the last room I looked. The secret doors were all so well hidden. There were so many mazes that I had to go into. Even a teleport trap in front of one of the doors thrown in for good measure...
Nice attempt there, nohbdy! While only 14th it should count for something extra that it was done with Ripley.
nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

LordGek wrote: Nice attempt there, nohbdy! While only 14th it should count for something extra that it was done with Ripley.
To be fair though, this game was done with RIpley, yes, but with Drizzt's weapon ;) . That and finding a +3 shozoku on level 3 that I managed to make into +10 by the end of the game.
Dex1138

Post by Dex1138 »

LordGek wrote:Here's the latest rankings as of 04/22/09 at 8:16PM PST!

1) Nighthawk winning as Atehna in 9453 turns!
2) Jhawk winning as Athena in 10575 turns!
3) Scotopia winning as Athena in 12781 turns!
4) Nohbdy* winning as Athena in 12973 turns! (*most likely but still hope to verify soon)
5) Twalabout winning as Athena in 13085 turns!

Welcome aboard Twalkabout and the new champion (of the moment at least), Nighthawk!
Wow..I was disappointed with my run of 13944 before seeing these, now I don't feel so bad :)
I forgot I was playing for steps and went along my merry way as normal, grabbing and searching everything.
Turns out this actually saved me as around 24 I found a Polymorph staff with 16 charges! Dragons? Jabberwocks? HA!
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

nohbdy wrote:OK. Just got a Ripley on the winners list. Most. Annoying. Game. Ever. It took me like an hour to get to level 23 after getting the amulet...stupid pit traps made me go to level 27 and level 26 multiple times. The stairs always seemed to be in the last room I looked. The secret doors were all so well hidden. There were so many mazes that I had to go into. Even a teleport trap in front of one of the doors thrown in for good measure...
I absolutely feel that one! Had a decent run that was spoiled by the stairs being in a maze 3 floors in a row (not to mention each floor had two mazes!) on my way back up. Fortunately i made it thanks to having a ring of stealth and got into 7th place on the board at the time. Floors 25,24 and 23 are not the sort of floors you want to be wandering around in for long. :(