Ridiculous, vindictive review department

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Ridiculous, vindictive review department

Post by CommanderData »

Someone by the name of Patsfan11113 posted this review the other day. I ignored it until he updated it yesterday.... Read on.
No one bothered to mention this, but in this game if you die its GAME OVER

No save and load, simply you go through the entire stupid game, die, and that's the end of the game

This pissed me off to no end, if you like it this way then fine, but I will not give more stars unless they give an option to save and then load in case you die

PS 2 days after I made this review, the rating for this game dropped a point and they moved down in rank from 1 to 2 on role playing games ... I caused this, and am proud of it ...
Rouge touch programmers ... The people have spoken and unless you want more falling I suggest you get a save and load function

Now, this guy not only missed the *entire point* of rogue (not being able to reload a save game is a core mechanic, once that is gone everyone would beat the game in an afternoon and move on), but he wrongfully and spitefully claims to be the cause of our drop in rankings! The real cause is our sale ended, we went back to $2.99, and nobody seems to care to buy us at that price. Sales dropped, I would've expected maybe a 30% drop, but they dropped over 80%! Proof that people will buy anything for a dollar, but only about 1 or 2 in 10 would be willing to shell out a couple more for something decent...

Ahh well, almost makes me ashamed to be in New England with this "Pats Fan". It's funny how one jerk can tear you down when you're having a bad week...

PS- any marketing gurus know how to fix a problem like this? Besides a permanent 99 cent sale? ;) I'd imagine it's the old-school graphics that turn off most people shopping. Some feedback I've seen in other forums points to that. I'm open to ideas, as always... Have to run to work, but I will check back in later.
NightOwl40

Re: Ridiculous, vindictive review department

Post by NightOwl40 »

:roll: :roll: What a frakking jerk.......and that scheisstekopf obviously has never learned anything about old school, hardcore gaming :evil:
Xanmyral

Post by Xanmyral »

Ouch! That was harsh... Burn him with fire, then feed him to the aquators! :twisted: I'm afraid when it comes to selling something I honestly don't know much, but we just got to give people a chance to actually play the game. When I first saw this, I admit that it didn't look like I would like it, but after checking out the forum and playing it for a bit greatly change my attitude for the better! :D Now I can't belief that there was a time when I didn't play this. :lol:
swhatley

Those one star reviews

Post by swhatley »

CD,

Last night, I was glancing at the reviews for RT. #2 in RPG, BTW. If it wasn't for those one star reviews bringing down your almost perfect rating, I'd find them humorous. They did make for some interesting reading and the folks did put some time into writing them. Unfortunately, They obviously didn't fully grasp the complexity of RT. The #1 complaint was, "Can't find the descending staircase." In that case, the person never completed the level. The randomness of the game, IMO, is what makes it so fun and have so much replay value. BTW, I have yet to starve to death.

Right now, I'm playing Athena and getting spoiled with the extra distance vision. Did you increase the food in 1.5? By level 15, I usually have 9 rations of food stored up. Or does Athena not need as much food?

CD, I hope you are adding the feature to choose between the male or female avatar for normal characters in v1.6! A preference in the options screen will work.

Thanks,
Steven
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

I guess that means your gonna update soon :D

Damn massholes
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

jhawk wrote:I guess that means your gonna update soon :D

Damn massholes
HA HA! jhawk, thanks for the laugh! :lol: You must be from around my area too, since you've heard the term. I do have an update in progress, but not ready to submit yet. If I am lucky maybe this weekend it'll be done. Friday's the day I get to head back home for a week...

Xanmyral, glad that you were able to look past the ugly exterior and find the meat of the game. Not only that, but really enjoy it too (based on the stories I am reading from you)! Thanks for helping to make me feel a bit better today. :D

NightOwl40, thanks for your concern too, I'd agree that a lot of people have never played good old games... Take this "Giant Metal Robot" thing that just appeared in the store. Now, I haven't played it myself but watched the video and I give them great props for making a cool old-school type of game. But oh the horrible things people have to say about it, at least those who don't see the retro charm like I do. Sure it doesn't have a lot of depth, but we would've peed our pants in excitement waiting in line to play stuff like that a long time ago... :oops:

I can imagine they must think we grew up in the dark ages. WHAT??? You had to start over, FROM THE BEGINNING? Yes, son, every time we died. And games cost a quarter to play, not 7 "tokens". We played them til our eyes fell out. :ugeek:
elswitzer

Post by elswitzer »

You might just be running into people who dont understand the game and wont take the time to. The only reason I might blame the graphics is that their simplicity may give a wrong first impression to people unfamiliar with these types of games. I personally feel that graphics are the last thing on my mind when I play this game, and if I wanted awesome graphics I would go play my Xbox 360. I dont need a bunch of flashes and special effects to drain my battery any faster than it does anyways(yes im looking at you field runners and aurora feint). It sucks that less people are buying now, but this game could be considered a niche title by some. Or those people are just idiots.
swhatley

Post by swhatley »

New special RT character:

Patsfan11113
HP 5, Str. 5
-2,-2 Dagger
-3 Leather Armor
Ring of teleportation (on right hand)
Ring of aggrevate monstor (on left hand)
Ability: Can't pick up objects.

Enjoy life!
Steven
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

elswitzer wrote:You might just be running into people who dont understand the game and wont take the time to. The only reason I might blame the graphics is that their simplicity may give a wrong first impression to people unfamiliar with these types of games. I personally feel that graphics are the last thing on my mind when I play this game, and if I wanted awesome graphics I would go play my Xbox 360. I dont need a bunch of flashes and special effects to drain my battery any faster than it does anyways(yes im looking at you field runners and aurora feint). It sucks that less people are buying now, but this game could be considered a niche title by some. Or those people are just idiots.

Yep, it's a niche title, and I certainly don't expect everyone to like it. The thing that kills me is this guy's attitude. If he just said it sucks, don't buy it like some of the other reviews it wouldn't really bother me. But no, I got his 70 cents after Apple's cut, and now he thinks he's the god of the app store, causing ranking loss and economic ruin with his amazing review skills. And then says he's proud of it. :P

Sales dropped due to the sale ending, and a Monday, which is already harsh. That's my mistake (as I pointed out on twitter this morning). No need for this guy to come along understanding nothing of the game or rogue or economics and rake me over the coals in front of 10 million people. I guess I should just be happy that decent people like the ones here in this forum are a lot more common than jerks like him. The world would be a really sorry place if nine out of ten people were like that guy. :D

By the way, I'm glad that you have no fault with the graphics. Other than the little bits of animation I intentionally tried to make the game more efficient on the processor and therefore extend battery life. I wanted to be able to play RT as long as I could, and still have some juice to make a few phone calls with... and I imagine a lot of people would agree that's what a phone should be used for :mrgreen: (PS- I like AF and Fieldrunners too, but I can't play them often without worrying about my battery)
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

swhatley wrote:New special RT character:

Patsfan11113
HP 5, Str. 5
-2,-2 Dagger
-3 Leather Armor
Ring of teleportation (on right hand)
Ring of aggrevate monstor (on left hand)
Ability: Can't pick up objects.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Nice! I think I just might do something like that for a laugh... I'd like to see someone beat the game with a character like that! :lol: