Armor Class

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
tbonicles

Armor Class

Post by tbonicles »

I can't believe I've been playing games since the days of the C64, and I've never tried Rogue. Well, no time like the present.

So, anyways I'm a little confused over how armor class works and was wondering if someone could help.

I was reading the equipment guide, and it seems that the lower the armor class the better.

However, in my last game, I got far enough to face an Aquator, and had my armor weakened. I noticed that it gave a -1 penalty, and seemed to lower the displayed armor class.

Is this correct, or is this a bug and the Aquator is actually helping by lowering your armor class ?
NightOwl40

Re: Armor Class

Post by NightOwl40 »

What is listed for armor class in that equipment guide us what the number by the shield should be if you wear that armor......lower numbers are better for that. The armor class number listed in got inventory is how much is subtracted from your naked(boxer shorts) value of 10.....the modifiers add or subtract from the inventory AC......+ modifiers are improvements which result in lower numbers by that shield......and yes, you can get negative numbers up there......means it's much harder for most monsters to hit you.

Aquators RUST your armor, as do rust traps......NOT a good thing at all :evil:
elswitzer

Post by elswitzer »

nghtstr wrote:
LdC wrote: The armour rating seems "backwards" on the main screen, ie, the number beside the shield. Lower numbers equate to a higher armour class? I don't quite grasp that.
This goes back to the days of ThAC0 (To hit Armor Class 0). Your armor class, the lower it is, is better. So if your AC is -2 or -3, you are in a real good position. Let me explain:

You are a level 5 character, your ThAC0 is 16 (Level 1 is 20). If your Hobgoblin has an AC of 5, then you take your ThAC0 - their AC (16 - 5 = 11). So your "roll" would have to be an 11 or better.

Now, your average Griffon has a ThAC0 of like 5 (I think, help here CD). If your AC has somehow gotten to -3, you do the same math. 5 - (-3) = 8. That griffon's roll has to be an 8 or better.

I hope this explains it.

Happy Adventuring!!
Dex1138

Post by Dex1138 »

Yeah the Armor Class (AC) is a holdover from ye olde days of Dungeons & Dragons and can be confusing for those not familiar with it.
Just remember lower=better for armor, anything else higher=better (unless it's monsters)