Rogue Touch --- AVAILABLE NOW!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Rogue Touch --- AVAILABLE NOW!

Post by CommanderData »

Detzlink wrote:Wohoo :D
Your enthusiasm is appreciated! Version 1.1 will be cause for celebration very soon! :lol:
CommanderData
Site Admin

Re: Rogue Touch --- Version 1.1 ---- UPDATE: SUBMITTED TO APPLE

Post by CommanderData »

It's only fair that I share some more goodies with you here! These are a few pictures to show off some of the different things we've been up to. A lot of the changes we made are not as noticeable unless you're physically playing, but check these out!

This guy is carrying a superweapon that allows him to see further in the darkness than your average +1, +1 Mace :lol:

Some hot goodies in his inventory! What the heck is that sword, it's got a stack of adjectives on it?!?!

The advantages of being the developer of Rogue Touch... I can give myself a nice toothpick to try out. Purely for playtesting purposes of course. I'm not afraid of Griffins. Really! :D
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Wow, this looks like an awesome update! I can't wait!
lr100

Post by lr100 »

One thing I've noticed in other apps that are games is that they hide the top Apple status bar completely in order to give more screen real estate to the game. If you did that for Rogue touch, you would then have an extra 20 pixes or whatever to move the mini map down so it obscures less of the main screen.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

DaveH wrote:Wow, this looks like an awesome update! I can't wait!
Thanks!! We're hoping that it will be approved today or tomorrow, but there's no telling for sure what they are doing. Maybe they want to get the Amulet before the approve it :lol:
lr100 wrote:One thing I've noticed in other apps that are games is that they hide the top Apple status bar completely in order to give more screen real estate to the game. If you did that for Rogue touch, you would then have an extra 20 pixes or whatever to move the mini map down so it obscures less of the main screen.
lr100, you're right it could give some more space. We actually left the status bar in there as a design choice, mainly because we use our phones as clocks/watches, and we want to monitor battery life while playing! It would stink to be sitting around playing and not realize how low your battery was if you needed to make some calls :D I've seen specific requests to developers in other forums to put the bar back in...

What we might be able to do is make that "yet another option" so that those who'd prefer not to see it don't have to. ;)
Link6746

Post by Link6746 »

Though I'm not complaining about the lack of food decomposition, many roguelikes have decomposing food. Furthermore, nethack allows you to feast on the corpses of your enemies, which also decompose (and eating rotten food is bad for you). Many types of enemies make you sick when you eat them, and others cause negative effects (curses, hallucinations) for doing so. Eating an enemy is something that is not taken lightly, similar to equipping an unidentified item.

Any chance this might be included in a future update?

**Edit-- Edible decomposing corpses is also present in dwarf fortress, though only allowing you to lick the corpse or telling you the following:
No, that's disgusting
nethack is open source, dwarf fortress provides the source code right on the webpage.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Link6746 wrote:Though I'm not complaining about the lack of food decomposition, many roguelikes have decomposing food. Furthermore, nethack allows you to feast on the corpses of your enemies, which also decompose (and eating rotten food is bad for you). Many types of enemies make you sick when you eat them, and others cause negative effects (curses, hallucinations) for doing so. Eating an enemy is something that is not taken lightly, similar to equipping an unidentified item.

Any chance this might be included in a future update?

**Edit-- Edible decomposing corpses is also present in dwarf fortress, though only allowing you to lick the corpse or telling you the following:
No, that's disgusting
nethack is open source, dwarf fortress provides the source code right on the webpage.
Yep, a lot of roguelikes do some cool stuff with food and corpses. The great-granddaddy treated it very simply, which is what we've modeled after. I have had requests for something along these lines by others though. What we're probably going to do is maintain a "classic" mode for the purists, and then have an "advanced" mode for those who like a lot of crazy options, items, and details.

You can eat food that is bad for you in Rogue Touch, not deadly, just less nourishing (you also gain a small amount of experience from it). The advanced mode will likely allow "meat" from monsters, probably sometime after version 1.2 based on the planned work we have already :)

Nethack, Dwarf Fortress, and Angband are being considered for future projects too. But those are a long ways out right now :mrgreen:
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Sounds like your really trying to make the game somewhat customizable. Which is a great thing, all while giving options to keep it old school.

It is nice to see developers listening to the players and trying to enact some of their suggestions.

Kudos on a great start to Touch Rogue. I hope you keep up the momentum.
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Ranger wrote:It is nice to see developers listening to the players and trying to enact some of their suggestions.

I used to do reviews for an old indie blog and the C. Support here has TOTALY amazed me.

I've seen so many ambitious developers handle things incredibly wrong. A list of misadventures:

*Dev begged for a 9.6 or up score...
*Dev gave me a half done copy of a game with no cutscenes (Story was one of my review categories).
*Devs tried to submit a review for their own game.
*Devs made some negative comments about a site anonymously, because of a bad score.
*Dev cussed me out for a negative review.
*Game copy did not work, however, he still wanted a review that week.

And these devs have taken my advice nicely, and give some great support and info. These people deserve a good following.

@Seal of approval.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Ranger wrote:Sounds like your really trying to make the game somewhat customizable. Which is a great thing, all while giving options to keep it old school.

It is nice to see developers listening to the players and trying to enact some of their suggestions.

Zakia wrote:I used to do reviews for an old indie blog and the C. Support here has TOTALY amazed me.

I've seen so many ambitious developers handle things incredibly wrong. A list of misadventures:

*Dev begged for a 9.6 or up score...
*Dev gave me a half done copy of a game with no cutscenes (Story was one of my review categories).
*Devs tried to submit a review for their own game.
*Devs made some negative comments about a site anonymously, because of a bad score.
*Dev cussed me out for a negative review.
*Game copy did not work, however, he still wanted a review that week.

And these devs have taken my advice nicely, and give some great support and info. These people deserve a good following.

@Seal of approval.

Hi guys, I just wanted to say thank you so much for your support! We're trying hard to make this something great, and do it in a way that keeps everybody happy (or close too it)! :lol:

I wish we had some feedback on how much longer before Version 1.1 goes live, but Apple works in mysterious ways! Once this is in your hands we'll be ready to start an official version 1.2 thread with our planned items and your wishlist things :D