Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Nighthawk

Re: Bug Reports

Post by Nighthawk »

CommanderData wrote: Since you're a programmer too, ...
Hehe... so am I, just not on the iPhone.
CommanderData wrote: I can see Nighthawk's vision though, using the tableview grouping to our advantage. That is a smaller step forward and might be worthwhile. We'll experiment a bit with that idea and see what it looks like...
I can appreciate the additional code burden and complexity. I guess the best way to look at my suggestion is as a "pie in the sky," go all the way for customization, and that description was one guy's view of it. 8-)
Linkie

Post by Linkie »

Jessica wrote:
Hee Hee! Now CD's job is on the chopping block again... Proofreading is not on the list of his talents :lol:

I have printed this list and stuck it to his screen! Details are important, we'll be sure to fix every one of those!
Omg now we have to find another excuses to let CD stay . . . lemme sleep on that one :o :P
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I've had the crash to home screen and had to start the level over happen to me tonight........

I also discovered that if you exit the app right after you die but before it displays your "epitaph". it won't record that death and you find messages from "anonymous" instead. Don't know what kind of corpse I'll find or even if I'll find one........................yet :P
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Ok, one interesting bug today and one follow up:

1) Rings of searching really have become more trouble than they are worth now. I played another game today where after a few levels I had to remove the ring because it was so annoying getting all those "you find 5 gold in a crack" and "xxx was here" messages. It really becomes annoying and ruins the game.

2) Found an interesting one (see screenshots below). When I got close to a monster it showed up as a leprechaun, but when I backed up a step it would show as a potion. It was repeatable by moving forward and backward one square it would change what it showed on that square.
Attachments
IMG_0002.PNG
IMG_0002.PNG (26.43 KiB) Viewed 15169 times
IMG_0001.PNG
IMG_0001.PNG (26.13 KiB) Viewed 15169 times
Linkie

Post by Linkie »

Think the leprechaun was standing on the item and since that stays visible while rest turns black you dont see the monster but you can see the item
preuve

Post by preuve »

I'm not sure if this has been reported so far. I've noticed in 1.5 that when a Nymph tried to steal from my stack of 3 potions of Poison (specially there for Nymphs), that she didn't actually take one. Is this a known problem?
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

NightOwl40 wrote:I've had the crash to home screen and had to start the level over happen to me tonight........

I also discovered that if you exit the app right after you die but before it displays your "epitaph". it won't record that death and you find messages from "anonymous" instead. Don't know what kind of corpse I'll find or even if I'll find one........................yet :P
NightOwl40, I think I have an idea what's happening here. I was able to locate one issue previously with the "save on exit" feature that causes it to fail in rare cases. That particular case was fixed for 1.5, but it seems that it can fail in other cases too. Technical info: my personal gut call now is that something's happening on screen at the time of the exit and it prevents the threads from joining and terminating properly. Can you tell me if an animation was occurring when the save failed? Like reading a scroll, fading in or out, sliding to the inventory, anything like that?

For those of you who haven't experienced this before: when this problem occurs and you restart Rogue Touch later on you end up having to replay the previous floor as people have noted- which is a mixed blessing! If you were paying attention you might be able to do things better when you repeat the floor (use less items, know what certain things were, etc)... I'll see if we can nail down the other causes of this problem for 1.6! :D

lr100 wrote:Ok, one interesting bug today and one follow up:

1) Rings of searching really have become more trouble than they are worth now. I played another game today where after a few levels I had to remove the ring because it was so annoying getting all those "you find 5 gold in a crack" and "xxx was here" messages. It really becomes annoying and ruins the game.

2) Found an interesting one (see screenshots below). When I got close to a monster it showed up as a leprechaun, but when I backed up a step it would show as a potion. It was repeatable by moving forward and backward one square it would change what it showed on that square.

1) Agreed that rings of searching are a bit of an annoyance now. Its funny for a few minutes, but even if we pulled player names from the server to write on the walls it would still get old... We will tone down the frequency of those messages to some infinitely small value if you are wearing one in 1.6!

2) I also agree with Linkie's assessment that the potion is remaining visible and the Leprechaun is correctly hidden because you cannot see him outside that field of light. However, is that necessarily the desired behavior? Or in this example, should the potion vanish as well? I'll think about that one a bit.

preuve wrote:I'm not sure if this has been reported so far. I've noticed in 1.5 that when a Nymph tried to steal from my stack of 3 potions of Poison (specially there for Nymphs), that she didn't actually take one. Is this a known problem?

That is an interesting problem- did it actually say "She took a potion of poison"? Or did she nab something else that you might have missed? I will need to fool around with that some more to see if I can simulate the result. If you recall anything else about that incident let me know!
preuve

Post by preuve »

CommanderData wrote: That is an interesting problem- did it actually say "She took a potion of poison"? Or did she nab something else that you might have missed? I will need to fool around with that some more to see if I can simulate the result. If you recall anything else about that incident let me know!
Yes, the status screen definitely did say she took a potion of poison. I wasn't sure the first time it happened but it definitely happened the next time I was hit by a nymph!
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

first post over here at the chronosoft forum (i've been over at the touch arcade forum), and of course it's to complain about how crappy and buggy this game is (kidding i love this game).

only bug i can remember on my last game is that i fell through a pit trap, and did not get a "many feet" warning about a treasure room, but found one anyway. then when i went down the stairs i did get a warning for the next level, but despite using a mapping scroll, there was no treasure room. (thank god for that scroll because i would have spent forever searching every wall for a hidden door). so i guess somehow the pit trap messed up the warning and it came a level late?

oh i also experienced a couple times where i had to restart a level still but not as often as 1.4.

also shouldn't beating CDs score count as a bug? on my ascent, i kept waiting for chuck norris http://tinyurl.com/coejam to bust through a wall to roundkick my ass to level 200 with a little message saying "nobody beats my score".

(p.s. how do you make a link in this forum, i tried the <a href> tag and the [url] tag with quotes with no success)
maxohm

Post by maxohm »

a couple times now, as ive been playing with neo..ive discovered that something cancels the fast effect,
rendering him(with the exception of clairvoyance) useless as a secret char. Ive since narrowed it
down to a side effect of drinking a potion that "makes me faint with exhaustion".
Is this an intended effect? and could this also cancel out a haste potion if you drink it
with a regular character?

updated: Aha, i must have drunk a haste potion, which youre not supposed to do if youre already fast!