Bug Reports

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
maxohm

Re: Bug Reports

Post by maxohm »

today i read what appeared to be a scroll of safe passage (gave me a msg about locks and such)
and continued on in the dungeon on the same floor until i was struck by a dart trap, did the scroll not work? twice now ive used
the scroll and got nailed by a trap on the same floor.
Also on the same game, as i was playing i randomly crashed to the iphone's "desktop". This was as i was in the middle of a room walking
towards a centaur, upon re-entering the game...back on square 1 of the map. Hell. Didnt give me a message from the gods about memory,
what the problem was..i dunno,i always make sure to kill all other running apps before starting rogue touch.
Also there seems to be a new graphical thing where the blackness jumps ahead of my avatar strangely..ill keep you posted as i see more.
thanks!

oh, and im oh a first gen iphone, most recent update, never jailbroken

another update:
got a text from a friend while playing as athena, closed the dialog box that overlays the game screen, then a few seconds later hit the home button to send a text. upon re-entering..poof start the level over please.
Also found a graphical bug while moving through a room where random tiles on the floor blacked out even though i should be able to see them..seems to be related to the twitchy screen bug....sorry i cant explain it better.
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

CommanderData wrote:
NightOwl40 wrote:I was playing as Athena and accidently threw my spear....when I picked it back up, instead of going to the upper part of the inventory it was at the bottom. After that, all weapons I found ended up down there too, until I found some rings, then they were at the very bottom of the list.

I still wish there was an option to manually sort the items in the pack.
Yes, that is a side effect of the automated sorting I do now. If you throw the spear, and have *no* other weapons in your pack, it can't find anything else to group it up with, which means the game just says "end of the pack for you"! If you keep an extra weapon handy in there before throwing it the spear will be grouped back together with your "spare" weapon :)

Manual sorting of the pack is still something I'm experimenting with... hopefully I can get it right and share it with the world ;)
Like I said, it was an accident......now that I know about that side effect, it's an error I'll try not to repeat ;)
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Nighthawk wrote:You could just do forced sorting yourself, CD. Just make inventory type headers and then list everything of that type under them. Maybe make the headers stand out with CAPS or different background colors behind the text. As for player sorting, allow the catagories to "collapse," allow categories to be reordered, and allow items to be moved within a category.

WEAPONS
Weapon 1
Weapon 2
Weapon 3
ARMOR
Armor 1
Armor 2
POTIONS
RINGS
WANDS
STAVES
FOOD
2 Rations of Food
2 Mushrooms
SPECIAL
Amulet would go here
I think it works really well the way it is now. You need to be careful in adding any complexity/features that aren't going to add much value with potential to destabalize the code or change behavior that most are happy with. Not sure how to judge the current satisfaction level with inventory, but I haven't heard any of the people I know complain about that.

What they complain about is freaking corpse reanimating and killing you when you try to loot it!!! ;-)

Serioiusly though I have to say that this version of RT is really great. I feel like this is pretty close to perfect for the current version. Yes, there are a few small things that could be improved (like the ring of searching issues) but really if there were no more versions of this "classic" Rogue, it would still be excellent.

My only hope is that if you add new "non classic" additions such as stores and stuff, that you make that either an option in the prefs or that you can select which type of game to play in the start, so that those of us who prefer the classic mode can keep playing that.
Ed
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

lr100 wrote: I think it works really well the way it is now. You need to be careful in adding any complexity/features that aren't going to add much value with potential to destabalize the code or change behavior that most are happy with. Not sure how to judge the current satisfaction level with inventory, but I haven't heard any of the people I know complain about that.

What they complain about is freaking corpse reanimating and killing you when you try to loot it!!! ;-)

Serioiusly though I have to say that this version of RT is really great. I feel like this is pretty close to perfect for the current version. Yes, there are a few small things that could be improved (like the ring of searching issues) but really if there were no more versions of this "classic" Rogue, it would still be excellent.

My only hope is that if you add new "non classic" additions such as stores and stuff, that you make that either an option in the prefs or that you can select which type of game to play in the start, so that those of us who prefer the classic mode can keep playing that.
Ed
Ed, That's some high praise there! I know you've been through so much with helping us identify bugs over the last few versions and that it seemed discouraging for a bit with the previous combo update... Its really great to know that we're getting closer to perfection!

Since you're a programmer too, it's good to see you agree with the K.I.S.S. principle (keep it simple, stupid!)... That's why I came up with this auto-sort method, it was fairly easy to implement and it requires no thought or effort or interface cluttering buttons for the player. I can see Nighthawk's vision though, using the tableview grouping to our advantage. That is a smaller step forward and might be worthwhile. We'll experiment a bit with that idea and see what it looks like...

Seriously, those corpses can get nasty! I wanted to make the risk worth the reward though, so if you do manage to kill your reanimated corpse you will get a lot more of your previous equipment back than the single item you'd get if he doesn't jump up. You should try stumbling across the corpse of a "Neo" you previously played... he is still *fast* and if you are not too, you're dead in seconds! :D

Finally, any of these game-changing elements like the shop will be an optional feature. The default as you download Rogue Touch will always be classic mode, the one we all know and love today! :mrgreen:
lr100

Post by lr100 »

CommanderData wrote:
Finally, any of these game-changing elements like the shop will be an optional feature. The default as you download Rogue Touch will always be classic mode, the one we all know and love today! :mrgreen:
Excellent! That reminds me, I need to go leave a 5 star review for this version at the Apple store. Will do that now.
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Ok, a few questions.

A couple of versions back (maybe 1.2?) I started noticing that the slimes seemed a lot tougher in terms of dividing more frequently. Was that indeed a change or am I just imagining it? Anyway, the reason I ask is that today I ended up killing 21 slimes that all started with 1 slime! Thats pretty crazy. Seemed like they would divide every time I hit them. Just wondering if the slime division probability needs to be toned down some?

A long the same lines I've been noticing that traps seem a lot more frequent with 1.5. Is this my imagination or did you tweak the settings for those? Or maybe its totally random and I just got "lucky"?

Finally, that (very) small bug of the red flash of light appearing in the upper left of the screen when using arrows and you hit a monster is still there in 1.5.
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

I'm also curious about the Slimes, but for different reasons. When I'm battling with them in and around door ways/corridors. If I move away from them one or two steps they sometimes vanish, only to return on the screen again if I step back in the direction of where they were. Is this a special ability of theirs, or a small bug?

Thanks in advance. Alichan :D
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

lr100 wrote:Ok, a few questions.

A couple of versions back (maybe 1.2?) I started noticing that the slimes seemed a lot tougher in terms of dividing more frequently. Was that indeed a change or am I just imagining it? Anyway, the reason I ask is that today I ended up killing 21 slimes that all started with 1 slime! Thats pretty crazy. Seemed like they would divide every time I hit them. Just wondering if the slime division probability needs to be toned down some?

A long the same lines I've been noticing that traps seem a lot more frequent with 1.5. Is this my imagination or did you tweak the settings for those? Or maybe its totally random and I just got "lucky"?

Finally, that (very) small bug of the red flash of light appearing in the upper left of the screen when using arrows and you hit a monster is still there in 1.5.

There hasn't been a tweak to slime division code for a long time. I don't believe it has been touched since version 1.0 but I can go back and take a look. I'm going to adjust that down a bit in my 1.6 code either way, as 21 slimes is a bit nuts! Consider it done!

Trap frequency was not changed at all, that I am certain of... so I think that may be what you call "Lucky" :D

I noticed that one too in a game I played yesterday... Maybe I can track it down this week for the next update.

Alichan wrote:I'm also curious about the Slimes, but for different reasons. When I'm battling with them in and around door ways/corridors. If I move away from them one or two steps they sometimes vanish, only to return on the screen again if I step back in the direction of where they were. Is this a special ability of theirs, or a small bug?

Thanks in advance. Alichan :D

What you're seeing is a side effect of your viewing distance in hallways and the slime being slower than you are. In hallways and mazes you can only see one square in front, behind, or around you (even if you're carrying a blessed or flaming weapon!). This means you can easily be surprised by monsters in hallways. It also means that sluggish, slow monsters like slimes will appear to "disappear" as you step away from them they do not move at the same speed. A hobgoblin would of course keep up with you no problem, and would not seem to disappear :mrgreen: If you took a step away from a slime and then rested for a turn in that hallway, it would catch up to you and "re-appear". ;)

Happy Easter everyone! :D
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

CommanderData wrote: What you're seeing is a side effect of your viewing distance in hallways and the slime being slower than you are. In hallways and mazes you can only see one square in front, behind, or around you (even if you're carrying a blessed or flaming weapon!). This means you can easily be surprised by monsters in hallways. It also means that sluggish, slow monsters like slimes will appear to "disappear" as you step away from them they do not move at the same speed. A hobgoblin would of course keep up with you no problem, and would not seem to disappear :mrgreen: If you took a step away from a slime and then rested for a turn in that hallway, it would catch up to you and "re-appear". ;)

Happy Easter everyone! :D
Hi CD,

Thanks for clearing that up in my mind. If you don't mind me pointing out, there are a few typo's here and there that I have spotted. Here they are for better or for worse:

1) When I read a scroll, it sometimes says 'you clicking sounds coming from the floor and walls'. Should there not be a 'hear' in there?

2) 'Playing the Game' section (sub-heading 'Fighting') there is an 'a' missing in the word 'Attacking'.

3) 'Playing the Game' section (sub-heading 'Inventory') there is an 'r' missing in the word 'every'.

4) 'Playing the Game' section (sub-heading 'Special Actions') the 'i' and 'e' are the wrong way round in the word 'wielding'.

Quite possibly the least of your concerns right now, and not strictly bug material, but thought it was worth a mention.

Thanks again for a superb game, and likewise.......HAPPY EASTER:)
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Alichan wrote: Hi CD,

Thanks for clearing that up in my mind. If you don't mind me pointing out, there are a few typo's here and there that I have spotted. Here they are for better or for worse:

1) When I read a scroll, it sometimes says 'you clicking sounds coming from the floor and walls'. Should there not be a 'hear' in there?

2) 'Playing the Game' section (sub-heading 'Fighting') there is an 'a' missing in the word 'Attacking'.

3) 'Playing the Game' section (sub-heading 'Inventory') there is an 'r' missing in the word 'every'.

4) 'Playing the Game' section (sub-heading 'Special Actions') the 'i' and 'e' are the wrong way round in the word 'wielding'.

Quite possibly the least of your concerns right now, and not strictly bug material, but thought it was worth a mention.

Thanks again for a superb game, and likewise.......HAPPY EASTER:)
Hee Hee! Now CD's job is on the chopping block again... Proofreading is not on the list of his talents :lol:

I have printed this list and stuck it to his screen! Details are important, we'll be sure to fix every one of those!