Good Golly Miss Molly Grue... Griffons suck

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
MikeB

Good Golly Miss Molly Grue... Griffons suck

Post by MikeB »

Jeez. Is it just me or are these winged beasties a little TOO difficult?

I mean I usually encounter them around Floor 18, and by then I have usually an AC into the negatives and a pretty hefty swatter (I kept taking out wraiths with one hit with my last dude)... but when a Griffon appears, they seem to always hit, always do 20-30 points each time (regardless of armor) and while I usually land a hit back, I am gathering I'm just tickling it.

Thus far, the only way I can consistently deal with these turkeys is to lead them to a long room, stun em with a confusion/para/sleep, run to the other end of the hall and pincushion em with a ranged weapon (sob... I lost my 20 +2,+2 lightening daggers). But toe-to-toe, I can't imagine ANYONE can drop these things consistently (Last time, -5 AC, 25 str, +7,+6 Mace and it STILL didnt go down after 5 hits).

Any tips?
Lydyra

Re: Good Golly Miss Molly Grue... Griffons suck

Post by Lydyra »

Should you be lucky enough to find one, a weapon of freezing turns those bad boys into big pussycats (providing you can freeze them within a strike or two). It's sooooo fun to laugh at griffins. :D Freezing has become my fave ability.

I've still not managed to kill a dragon, though.
I will never put my sword down
I will never run away
--Manilla Road, "The Veils Of Negative Existence"
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I'll have to keep that in mind........haven't managed to kill a griffon yet......
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

I just finished a game where I actually took out two griffins toe to toe. The third one killed me after draining well over 100 hit points in short order. Level 24 to boot.

Dave
corhen

Post by corhen »

i find either a Potion of Hast Self, or a Wand/Staff of Slow Monster does the trick

i imagine if you used both of these, you would be able to take down a dragon
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Had no problem with griffins using a Blessed +3+5 Long Sword of Vampire Slaying - although i had to back up a few times to keep my HP above 40. I think if your at Hero level you can recharge around 40hp in about 10-15 steps which definitely helps! ;)
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I managed to kill a couple of them, got out of that area and was recharging my health when I was jumped by a ur-vile/troll combo, started running away and ran smack dab into another griffon in the hallway :oops: I hope they killed each other fighting over my bones :P

On a later run, I had managed to hang onto a couple of polymorph and paralysis staffs, was doing great until I ran out of charges and an ur-vile had me for lunch........didn't get killed by any griffons, though ;) Paralyze first, then morph........just don't try it on an upper floor......got a dragon on the 9th floor after morphing a nymph(I think) *ouch*
Berenzen

Post by Berenzen »

Your best bet is to kite these guys or be very lucky. I have only died to a griffin 3 or 4 times cause I got caught in a small room with one. Try and save those paralyze potions to use em against the griffins when you get to a small amount of health paralyze em and run around as you regain health, works best with a ring of stealth which I usually always seem to find. Anyways that's what works best for me, but I'm sure others have their own way of dealing with these hard hitting slightly overpowered creatures. Happy hunting.
Proof I'm unlucky- 1313th post
Xanmyral

Post by Xanmyral »

Berenzen wrote: Try and save those paralyze potions to use em against the griffins when you get to a small amount of health paralyze em and run around as you regain health, works best with a ring of stealth which I usually always seem to find.
When I come across a griffin, and need to paralyze it, I try to stick in in the way of a door or such, because I noticed that two monsters can't occupy the same space, so that is just one less route to worry about. I don't know why you run around, I just sleep next to 'em. They won't wake up unless you hit them, and if I am correct sleeping is faster then by any normal way.
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I had the polymorph trick backfire on me today on the 17th floor.......instead of getting a weaker monster, I got a frakking dragon :oops: Bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye when you run into one of those................makes griffons look like they're playing pattycake :P