A few musings!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Alichan

A few musings!

Post by Alichan »

Hi,

Due to Touch Arcade and what can only be described as 'glowing' comments about Rogue Touch, I jumped in the deep end and bought it just now. So glad I did :D

I am a bit confused by a couple of things so far (sorry if this is so painfully obvious. I haven't played this type of game before). In some rooms the floor is not completely visible. When I walk around the floor tiles around me show, but not the whole room. Is this a 'fog of war' type idea to keep you from seeing the dangers or delights straight away? Or is it a bug?

Secondly, once you descend to the next floor, can you come back up again? Or is it all down hill from then on?

Probably loads more daft questions coming, but I thought I would ease them upon you in bite-size pieces :)
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: A few musings!

Post by CommanderData »

Alichan wrote:Hi,

Due to Touch Arcade and what can only be described as 'glowing' comments about Rogue Touch, I jumped in the deep end and bought it just now. So glad I did :D

I am a bit confused by a couple of things so far (sorry if this is so painfully obvious. I haven't played this type of game before). In some rooms the floor is not completely visible. When I walk around the floor tiles around me show, but not the whole room. Is this a 'fog of war' type idea to keep you from seeing the dangers or delights straight away? Or is it a bug?

Secondly, once you descend to the next floor, can you come back up again? Or is it all down hill from then on?

Probably loads more daft questions coming, but I thought I would ease them upon you in bite-size pieces :)
Hello and welcome Alichan!

We're very glad you took the plunge, and I agree that the TouchArcade article was a complete surprise, and quite a glowing recommendation. It doesn't get much better than that. If you visit here Blake, thanks! *waves*

Anyway, as you noticed... The effect you are experiencing is darkened rooms. The rooms on the first floor are always completely lit and bright. As you descend deeper into the dungeon, you'll see more and more dark rooms... until soon they are all dark. These require caution, as you want to explore fully for equipment and doors, but could stumble onto new more powerful monsters in the darkness as you go down!

There are ways to combat the darkness. A wand/staff of light will brighten up rooms when you zap it, until it runs out of charges. If you happen to get lucky and find a flaming or blessed weapon, those will illuminate 2 squares in all directions instead of just one, which allows you to prepare for monsters and explore more effectively in the dark.

If you are having a real hard time with the darkness as a new player, you could try playing as the secret characters "Drizzt", "Legolas", or "Riddick" who all have the ability to see in the dark :) Some of our gamers play the secret guys (and now girls) exclusively, and there is a thread here devoted to all the secret characters if you want to give them a shot!

Descending: Once you go down stairs, it's onward and downward :) You are not allowed to come back up stairs until you have collected the Amulet of Yendor on FLOOR 26 :mrgreen:

This is a pretty tough task, not many people have made it yet, be prepared to die. A lot! But the fun thing is each game's randomness means you could get *much* better equipment next time and make it that much farther into the dungeon....

Please ask if you have more questions :D
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

...Wow, that was quick :D Thanks for the welcome, and 'enlightening' me! I must admit, I bought RT just this morning, and so far, I have done diddlysquat except play your game! The whole random map thing is the route of the problem I think ;) But seriously, brilliant, just brilliant! There is so much to discover here. Totally engrossing.

Here's another question for you. Do the beasts increase in strength the further you descend? Or do they appear in more numbers and retain their individual default strength throughout the game?

Thanks again,

Alichan
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Alichan wrote:...Wow, that was quick :D Thanks for the welcome, and 'enlightening' me! I must admit, I bought RT just this morning, and so far, I have done diddlysquat except play your game! The whole random map thing is the route of the problem I think ;) But seriously, brilliant, just brilliant! There is so much to discover here. Totally engrossing.

Here's another question for you. Do the beasts increase in strength the further you descend? Or do they appear in more numbers and retain their individual default strength throughout the game?

Thanks again,

Alichan
Glad that I could make you waste a morning there :D

There are 26 official monsters right now, and as you descend deeper new types of monsters do appear. A dragon is obviously FAR more powerful than a hobgoblin or Orc, but two Dragons are usually on par with each other in strength. That is, until you descend *past* floor 26. This is not necessary to beat the game, but several of us have started doing that on the leaderboards just for the recognition :D

As far as numbers of monsters go- you'd probably find 2-5 monsters starting on the level, but if you linger for a while, new monsters start appearing. There is one exception to the number of monsters. If you find a Treasure Room (or Party Room as we jokingly call them) you could run into anywhere from 6 to 12 monsters *in one room*!! These guys will also be a bit tougher than normal, but there will be a lot of treasure in there as a reward if you can beat them. Treasure rooms appear randomly, with a small chance of finding one. You won't see one every game, but when you do... watch out! :lol:
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

...oh drat, I just got wasted by a rattlesnake on floor 11. Alas, poor Alichan the Great, I knew him well.....but not well enough to save his rear end it seems :cry:
I might give one of the secret characters a blast now, and see how I fare...
Now I am wondering about the sleep button. If I press it I will heal faster, right? But as soon as I move again I will heal at a slower pace? Did I understand that right?

Alichan: )
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well I'm sure Alichan will enjoy Valhalla....

Just remember, the "Killed By A Griffon" is booked to capacity and has a long waiting list...
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

Hi MikeB,

Tip duly noted and digested :) I haven't come across a Griffon yet, which should give you some idea of my level of gameplay :oops: I just had a quick look at your top tips post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75&p=931#p931. Thank youuuuu! Alot of really helpful stuff there.

I love the randomness of this game, and the fact that it isn't really that fair. No guarantees, and when you die you...well...die! No namby pamby ghost of your former self to bring you back to your last point of mortality a la World of Warcraft. In the 'immortal' words of the Monty Python Parrot sketch:
'E's kicked the bugget, 'E's passed on! This hero is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-HERO!!!!!!'

Now why do you bring up Valhalla :?: