Your largest "oops" moment

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Jim2wheels

Re: Your largest "oops" moment

Post by Jim2wheels »

Going for the CD's Angels board with Athena, was tooled up with 28 Strength on Level 24 (I eventually found out i was on 6000 steps at this point), had my spear up to +5+3, Armour was -2 and i had plenty of charges on a slow staff and paralysis staff. I also had 3 scrolls of monster scare and two scrolls of teleportation. Then it happened - frigging teleport trap in the entrance to the last room to be searched, which contained the stairs - and the only one way in. Would it teleport me in that room? Hell no! Must of teleported at least 20 times, with each one i knew my step count was building up and i was fast running out of goodies to keep me alive as the dungeons finest continually pounded away at my hp.

It all ended when i was cornered by a Dragon and a Griffin. I don't think i have ever been so angry about losing a game in my life. :evil:
wafin

Post by wafin »

Well, had a nice little character going but didn't realize you could starve to death. :( LOL lucky it was only on level 10 but I had plenty of food, just thought I'd hoard it for a bit longer...
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

This morning I lost a game as Zaphod B. on floor 22. I knew where the stairs were and had survived killing a medusa, an ur-vile, a griffon and a vampire...... was on my way to the stairs and got jumped by another griffon. Killed it, made it to guild master rank and still had about half of my health.....almost at the stairs and got jumped by another griffon.......so, like an idiot, I tried to run that last two steps to the stairwell to go down and died while trying to open the menu :oops: :evil:
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

I was pretty deep, maybe level 22 or so, and end up in a monster room. Most of the monsters are sleeping, and I have stealth, so I walk in and start collecting stuff. I run into a phantom, start taking it out, and then realize there are 2 or 3 phantoms around me. I drop a scroll of scare monster and proceed to take them out. At this point I have 4 health left. So I'm standing on the scroll, completely safe, I could either sleep my way to full health, or use one of the 4 health potions I have. I open my inventory, scroll down to a health potion, then notice I have an unknown potion. I drink that. It's a potion of destruction and I die. Why, why did I have to drink an unknown potion at that time? I could have done it ANY TIME later when I had full health. There was honestly no reason and I did it anyway...
elswitzer

Post by elswitzer »

I have the bad habit of clearing a room before I pick up any goodies laying around. I dont even want to admit how many rings, staffs, food, etc. Ive had right next to me, but because I need to make sure there are no enemies around I fall into a pit trap and lose them forever. stupid.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

I may have actually just beaten my last moment. Trying to get on the leaderboard for CD's angels, I get insanely lucky and find a +2+2 blessed two handed sword on level 1! This is nice since you start with a blessed spear, but it's not really a good idea to switch off it because the extra vision cuts down searching a lot, so finding a weapon twice as powerful and already blessed is crazy. Then on level 5 or so, I find a ring of kings! and a few levels later a ring of slow digestion is pretty sweet too. I also find a staff of fire and a staff of paralysis. I stumble upon a room with two trolls standing right next to each other. Take out one, and start running from the other to regain some health. I faint from lack of food and the troll kills me. Such a waste... I'll never get that lucky again!
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

Elysium wrote:I may have actually just beaten my last moment. Trying to get on the leaderboard for CD's angels, I get insanely lucky and find a +2+2 blessed two handed sword on level 1! This is nice since you start with a blessed spear, but it's not really a good idea to switch off it because the extra vision cuts down searching a lot, so finding a weapon twice as powerful and already blessed is crazy. Then on level 5 or so, I find a ring of kings! and a few levels later a ring of slow digestion is pretty sweet too. I also find a staff of fire and a staff of paralysis. I stumble upon a room with two trolls standing right next to each other. Take out one, and start running from the other to regain some health. I faint from lack of food and the troll kills me. Such a waste... I'll never get that lucky again!
I bet you were turning the air all sorts of interesting colors afterwards..............I know I would be ;)
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

NightOwl40 wrote: I bet you were turning the air all sorts of interesting colors afterwards..............I know I would be ;)
It's the kind of thing that's just so dumb you have to laugh at it rather than be mad.

So next run I did some extra searching in the early dungeons hoping I would have enough stuff to kill my corpse. I managed to do it and get my sword back (too bad I already used 3 enchant weapons on my spear) but not the ring of kings. Made it out of the dungeon beating my previous best by nearly 1000 steps but still didn't crack the top 5.
corhen

Post by corhen »

I finally get to the point where I am comftorble to dive for the first time... I'm at -6 armor (a plate body, +3 and a +5 ring of protection. +3+2 flaming sword... ) I see a staff on level 22( first one of the entire run! No wands either!) I use it when a jabberwock attacks...
It makes it invisible!!
Shumby

Post by Shumby »

So I'm gearing up for the next CD challenge and using Aragorn (who's already a beast).

I had died on level 9 with a previous Aragorn -- freaking starved to death!

Anyway I'm playing again and by level 5 I had:

+2+2 Flaming Long Sword
+2+2 Freezing Hammer
+5 Protected Chain Mail
Plenty of food
still had my 2 potions of raise level
potion of haste
and a +5 ring of damage increase!

So I stumble across my former self... and since I've been killed by skeletons more than I've killed them back... I haste up just in case. I feel pretty damned strong given my inventory... swing/hit/burn!... he knocks me 1/3 down... swing/hit/burn!!!...... still alive... he knocks me 1/3 down again!! WELL POOP!! swing/HIT!/BURN!!!! ... he freaking kills me! So sad! That was a championship dive squandered in it's prime!!!

I'm never fighting another skeleton, dammit...