New to the game (random questions)

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Wang

New to the game (random questions)

Post by Wang »

So I'm fairly new to the roguelike game genre, so I have a few random questions.

1. What is the purpose of finding gold? Is it only for a tally of score at the end of the game?

2. I began with 2 rations, but am now constantly feinting from starvation. I've really tried to explore each level thoroughly, and have yet to find any more food, nor have any monsters dropped any. I've read that I can die of starvation, which is most likely going to happen, seeing as I can only take a few steps before I pass out again.

3. Is there a way to check your current level? I've achieved the rank of "rogue" but have no way to double check this information it seems, like a sort of "player sheet" or "character sheet".

I'm really having a blast with this so far, but it seems like if I had to add something to the game, I would add a "shop" of some sort. Basically, I would add some sort of way to use the gold (in-game) for something such as buying potions, weapon enchants, or other such tomfoolery. I would think one of the biggest uses for such a shop would be to buy more food. Like I said I'm several levels into the dungeon (at least 5-7 levels in) and I've yet to find any more food. At this rate, it doesn't seem like I could make it to the 26th level (which I believe is the bottom, or at least I think I read that somewhere) and back out without dying of starvation. I've been using my potions and scrolls too out of desperation, hoping that one of them might make me feel "full" or summon food, but to no avail. If I were able to visit a shop of some sort and put that gold I keep finding to good use, certainly starvation wouldn't be a concern. Even if it meant that on every level there was an item, or secret entrance, or even just a menu button that allowed me to access it, I think it would be an amazingly helpful addition. Without some sort of supply of extra food, it doesn't seem like I'd be able to get very far without death knocking at my heels. Then again, perhaps there's some way to ration out the 2 bits of food you have to make them last.

Thanks though, this certainly is an awesome game, that's keeping me not only busy but entertained! I'm really enjoying it, great job!
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: New to the game (random questions)

Post by CommanderData »

Thanks for trying out our first game! I'll see if I can help answer some of your questions...

1) Gold is presently only factored into your final score in the game. The original Rogue from the 1980s was the same way, so we emulated it. Gold will have several uses in future updates to Rogue Touch however ( a shop is a strong possibility, and there's another interesting thing we plan on doing with it that I can't talk about just yet :) )

2) Finding enough food to survive can be tough sometimes. Food is randomly generated, like the rest of the dungeon, so you can have some walkthroughs that are almost devoid of food, and other times have more than you know what to do with. Food management is important of course, try not to eat any food when you first see that you're hungry... wait until you've been weak for a while, or just on the verge of fainting if you live on the edge! This will get you a lot deeper into the dungeon. When fainting, you can die of starvation but you can drag yourself on for a fairly long time and possibly find food before that happens- as long as no monster shows up while you're passed out :D We'll be posting some tips and strategy in a section off the home page soon.

3) Rank is displayed in the lower right corner near your sleep button. The rank you achieve determines how many hitpoints/life points you have, how fast you can heal, how likely you are to hit or miss your target, and more. Most of the details are hidden variables in the program as they existed many years ago. There are 20 ranks, each one requiring more experience to reach. These will be detailed in future posted pages as well... for now we want to let people have fun discovering things for themselves. will tell you that the rank of "Rogue" is only the 7th rank out of 20, so you can become much more powerful!

I can see you've put a lot of consideration into the shop concept already, and so have we! We intentionally skipped that possibility in version 1.0 to make this more true to the original spririt, but we'll likely be adding one in the future. In the meantime, don't give up! Your next game may have plentiful food, and if you use the tips I gave here you should be able to dive all the way to the 26th floor (assuming the monsters don't get you first :lol: )
shadowspawn

Post by shadowspawn »

To stretch out what food you do find, note that according to the description of the original Rogue game wearing a ring uses more food. (Makes sense as a game mechanic to balance the potential benefits, but far from obvious!)

I just died, fainted from hunger while fighting a wraith, wearing two cursed rings...
:(
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

shadowspawn wrote:To stretch out what food you do find, note that according to the description of the original Rogue game wearing a ring uses more food. (Makes sense as a game mechanic to balance the potential benefits, but far from obvious!)

I just died, fainted from hunger while fighting a wraith, wearing two cursed rings...
:(
You are correct! And possibly very unlucky too :D wow, two cursed rings at once! Some rings consume more or less food than others. And a Ring of Slow Digestion will make it so you can go on much longer between meals, rather than costing you precious food. If you are ever lucky enough to find two of those, you'll probably only need one ration of food for the entire game :lol: