Just a quick noob question.

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Insert

Just a quick noob question.

Post by Insert »

I've never played Rogue until today when I bought Rogue Touch. (I can't believe I've been missing out this long.)
Anyways, I was wondering, is there any point to having gold? What use does it have?

Thanks,
- Insert
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Just a quick noob question.

Post by CommanderData »

Insert wrote:I've never played Rogue until today when I bought Rogue Touch. (I can't believe I've been missing out this long.)
Anyways, I was wondering, is there any point to having gold? What use does it have?

Thanks,
- Insert

There's no point to gold other than to count towards your leaderboard ranking. At least not yet! There will be a shop added to the dungeon in the not-too-distant future... it's one of the most requested items we get :lol:

Really hope you enjoy the game! I will be out of touch for a while this evening, hopefully if you have any other questions one of the very smart guys or girls here can help you out ;)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Not only that, but after proving your worth to The Elite Fighter's Guild, you are going to need lots of money for the big shindig at The Myopic Beholder Inn.

For mead, wenches and expenses, doncha know. :D
kjyoung

Post by kjyoung »

What do Blessed weapons do? I did a search but no help.
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

Good against undead/ghost creatures, I believe......
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

NightOwl40 wrote:Good against undead/ghost creatures, I believe......
Not only are blessed weapons good against the undead monsters, but they throw out a brighter light that allows you to see *two* squares in each direction in dark rooms, rather than just the normal one square all around... This makes it much easier to explore and deal with monsters as you get deeper into the dungeon...

Blessed weapons also have one other secret benefit, I'll see if anyone has figured out what it is... not really obvious, but good! :lol:
kjyoung

Post by kjyoung »

I can see phantoms after hitting them once with a blessed weapon. Is that the other 'secret'?

There might be a bug with blessed weapon. I can see the floor/wall 2 squares away, but most of the time, i can't see the creatures. I can see creatures 1 square away, but they disappear at 2.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

kjyoung wrote:I can see phantoms after hitting them once with a blessed weapon. Is that the other 'secret'?

There might be a bug with blessed weapon. I can see the floor/wall 2 squares away, but most of the time, i can't see the creatures. I can see creatures 1 square away, but they disappear at 2.
kjyoung, good eye there! That is part of the secret that blessed weapons have. It even goes a bit deeper than that! :D

As far as the vision distance goes... that does not sound right. If you have two lighted squares you really should continue to see that monster in both of them! I just playtested a character with a blessed weapon now. Went down a few floors to some dark rooms and I was able to sneak up on sleeping hobgoblins and have them be visible at both one and two squares distance.

Do you have any more info- was this a secret character? What type of monster was it, or was it all monsters? Was the room actually lit for 2 squares around you, but the monsters just didn't appear? How about items on the floor?

Final thought- If this was in a hallway or maze, then you can actually only see *one* square away in these areas, even though you can see 2 squares away inside rooms. Maybe that was your issue?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just having a hard time trying to duplicate this one :)
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

Instead of starting a whole new thread just to ask my noob question I thought I'd attach it here instead...here goes!

I notice that sometimes I am battling ferociously with some denizen of the deep, and it says in the message area words to the effect of 'x has successfully managed to knock your block off'. But when I check my health it has stayed the same. This can happen repeatedly. I'm sure there are any number of reasons why, but so far they elude me.

Fellow Rogues, I call for your generous wisdom in this puzzling state of affairs :)
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Alichan wrote:Instead of starting a whole new thread just to ask my noob question I thought I'd attach it here instead...here goes!

I notice that sometimes I am battling ferociously with some denizen of the deep, and it says in the message area words to the effect of 'x has successfully managed to knock your block off'. But when I check my health it has stayed the same. This can happen repeatedly. I'm sure there are any number of reasons why, but so far they elude me.

Fellow Rogues, I call for your generous wisdom in this puzzling state of affairs :)
Shot in the dark guess is that our intreped devs added some uncommon "successful hit" text. In the originals, the game randomly chose from 4 (perhaps more) phrases for a successful hit and 4 for a miss. Looks like Rogue Touch may have a couple of extras.