Sale! Our First Ever - New Players Welcome!

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
BigDrahma

Re: Sale! Our First Ever - New Players Welcome!

Post by BigDrahma »

I convinced my buddy to buy it at $0.99 -- he had balked at $3. So I did my small part. :mrgreen:
Shumby

Post by Shumby »

Hi Everybody,

I'm one of the noobs enticed by the fantastic low low price. I would have snagged this for $3 had I known the quality... :oops: But I redeemed myself and made my brother get this game, too. ;)

Anyway. Glad to be here. Looks like the Dev is heavily involved in the community. That's always nice!

Good luck slaying the alphabet!

Shumby
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

BigDrahma wrote:I convinced my buddy to buy it at $0.99 -- he had balked at $3. So I did my small part. :mrgreen:
Shumby wrote:Hi Everybody,

I'm one of the noobs enticed by the fantastic low low price. I would have snagged this for $3 had I known the quality... :oops: But I redeemed myself and made my brother get this game, too. ;)

Anyway. Glad to be here. Looks like the Dev is heavily involved in the community. That's always nice!

Good luck slaying the alphabet!

Shumby
Ha, excellent work Shumby and BigDrahma! I appreciate the help in spreading the word about our game... we got quite a bit more popular this weekend, actually displaced some big name games and became the #1 RPG in the US store (and maybe in some foreign stores too, I have not been able to go verify) :oops:

We did extend the sale on Rogue Touch through Tuesday, the end of Apple's feature on us in "What we're playing". However... If the attention keeps up the way it has we may extend it again! I'm just floored by all the feedback and love for this little old game! Definitely gives us hope that our future games will get some attention and sales... and makes the idea of doing this full time just a bit closer to reality :mrgreen:
Dex1138

Post by Dex1138 »

Hiya all, RT .99 newbie here! I've been playing the Free Rogue (FR) for a few months since i got my iPod Touch. I'd seen RT in the store but couldn't bring myself to spend the money for it. Well, you got me now!
There's a few areas where FR has the edge (streamlined controls being the biggest) but I can see you guys are pushing to make RT better and better and FR I think has sat unupdated. Not a bad thing since it's free but a little spice now and then keeps you comin back for more.
See you in the dungeons!
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Dex1138 wrote:Hiya all, RT .99 newbie here! I've been playing the Free Rogue (FR) for a few months since i got my iPod Touch. I'd seen RT in the store but couldn't bring myself to spend the money for it. Well, you got me now!
There's a few areas where FR has the edge (streamlined controls being the biggest) but I can see you guys are pushing to make RT better and better and FR I think has sat unupdated. Not a bad thing since it's free but a little spice now and then keeps you comin back for more.
See you in the dungeons!
Welcome Dex1138! I've played both and could see that if you get used to the gestures in "FR" some things can seem a bit more unwieldy in Rogue Touch, since we force a lot of actions through the inventory, but he does have other control issues and bugs that have never been fixed since it's release. I think our inventory->item->action system helps a lot of our new players who are unfamiliar with rogue in general to get their bearings :D

We plan on continuing to push the envelope of what makes a great roguelike, Make sure you check out all the unique equipment, effects, secret characters, leaderboards and the other neat stuff that sets us apart from the crowd. Enjoy your stay here! :mrgreen:
xmiyux

Post by xmiyux »

Another newbie to your game because of the sale. Normally I check appshopper.com each day to look at the price drops and the like and when I saw there was a Rogue in the app store I jumped.

I'm a Nethack player from way back and lately Shiren on the DS is the only way I could get my fix on the go. Thanks for making a great game and putting it on sale so it caught my attention. The current app store is just so terrible to browse that I rely on "advertising" through sales or word of mouth.

One question though, any chance of bringing in some Nethack style character classes? Let us brag about a vegetarian tourist run?
DPCyric

Post by DPCyric »

It is nice to see some new faces here, I hope all of you stick around :D I just wanted to point out that I spied Rogue Touch in the Top 100 apps today (sitting at 91) :ugeek: Hopefully it can move up the ranks some more and stay there even after the sale ends :D
Dex1138

Post by Dex1138 »

CommanderData wrote:Welcome Dex1138! I've played both and could see that if you get used to the gestures in "FR" some things can seem a bit more unwieldy in Rogue Touch, since we force a lot of actions through the inventory, but he does have other control issues and bugs that have never been fixed since it's release. I think our inventory->item->action system helps a lot of our new players who are unfamiliar with rogue in general to get their bearings :D
I agree! Even though I've been video gaming since there were video games I'd never played Rogue until I got my iPod. I had a friend who played it in ASCII obsessively in the 90s while I was playing graphic video games and I thought he was weird but now I'm hooked. :)
nghtstr

Post by nghtstr »

Dex1138 wrote: I agree! Even though I've been video gaming since there were video games I'd never played Rogue until I got my iPod. I had a friend who played it in ASCII obsessively in the 90s while I was playing graphic video games and I thought he was weird but now I'm hooked. :)
To me, the Rogue/NetHack/[insert game here] has never gotten the respect that it deserves. It puts the game play first, and graphics second. To me, gameplay is the most important factor in picking up a game. I wasn't sure when I bought this for $3, but the moment I started playing, I was hooked!! :D

CommanderData and crew, I can only hope that you guys make more games. And if you need another developer, I would love to throw my hat into the ring. :)

Edit: Wow, after re-reading my post, I have to wonder if I ate one too many of those mushrooms in the dungeon. :lol: I was just trying to say that even at $3, this was a bargain. I am also excited to see that this game, and its crew of dev(s), are getting the respect they deserve in the App Store.
Last edited by nghtstr on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDrahma

Post by BigDrahma »

DPCyric wrote:It is nice to see some new faces here, I hope all of you stick around :D I just wanted to point out that I spied Rogue Touch in the Top 100 apps today (sitting at 91) :ugeek: Hopefully it can move up the ranks some more and stay there even after the sale ends :D
Looks like it's at #64 right now. :geek: Good to see it moving up as the sale rolls on! :D