Building a proper set of armor

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Van Damage

Re: Building a proper set of armor

Post by Van Damage »

While I do welcome new and interesting additions to Rogue Touch, the basic tenet of game theory dictates that for every new item added to the game, unless the number of maintain armor scrolls/rings are proportionally increased, the probability of you finding those essential items decreases.

I'm a gamer, not an english major, but you get the idea.

I should add that while great armor is essential, the first game I won was due to finding a +3/+3 two-handed sword of fire early in the game and enhancing it. The ability to kill most any threat with 2 or less swings provided enough time to eventually locate something to maintain armor. The second time I won was very similar with a +2/+2 battle axe of fire. Killing something quick means you take less hits.
Mister Fluff

Post by Mister Fluff »

elswitzer wrote:This is kind of funny because literally every game I play I get at least a few armor protection scrolls. I actually look forward to aquators because they have never posed a threat to me. My last game actually(this is just to rub it in), I found elf armor on the first level, and by the third level I had used 3 scrolls of enchant armor or whatever. All this and my starting "special" item was a ring of armor protection. And now I'm sure the Gods of Rogue will strike me down for bragging, and I will never find any of these items again. It was worth it though.
You got those things and you didn't get the amulet? I wouldn't call that bragging as much as letting everybody know you have no clue how to play the game... I guess the Gods of Rogue had to give you something to help you get past level 1...
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Mister Fluff wrote: You got those things and you didn't get the amulet? I wouldn't call that bragging as much as letting everybody know you have no clue how to play the game... I guess the Gods of Rogue had to give you something to help you get past level 1...
Now, now, let's play nice in here! Maybe you were joking as the intarwebs are horrible for telling if that is true, but we can't have real insults thrown around... Hence my liberal peppering of smiley faces everywhere :lol:

See there goes another one!

Anyway, there's a ton new of people still learning the ropes of rogue for the first time here, make sure to impart some bits of wisdom for them and you'll gain respect quickly. Welcome to the forums! ;)
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

A tad harsh there Mister Fluff don't you think? I very rarely get my AC below 0 but have got far with much less. I think Van Damage has it right with the "killing quicker = less hits to take" theory.

Just a thought...
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Jim2wheels wrote:A tad harsh there Mister Fluff don't you think? I very rarely get my AC below 0 but have got far with much less. I think Van Damage has it right with the "killing quicker = less hits to take" theory.

Just a thought...
+1. I have actually had better games (gone deeper into the dungeon) with terrible equipment than when I was fully loaded out. I hit floor 24 last night with an AC level of 6 and a +2/+3 longsword as my best equipment (can I say how much a HATE aquators?). That's part of what makes this game so darned addictive. You never know when you are going to get a good game going. It only takes one bad move to ruin a great character as well.

Dave
elswitzer

Post by elswitzer »

Hmmm.... I would ask Mr. Fluff how he came up with the idea that AC is the only factor determining success in this game. So if my strength has been drained to 5 and a Wraith has drained my level from a Spartan to a Fighter while surrounded by trolls and griffons, I should have no problem becuase of an AC of 0? I guess the people who restart their games until they start with a ring should narrow their standards to items with benefits to their armor.

Come back when you have a real argument or understand sarcasm.
elswitzer

Post by elswitzer »

So I thought I should admit that I was wrong. I really do suck at this game, but I am finally starting to learn some strategies. One that helped me out recently was when this dragon started to attack me and I had a high AC, so I tried to run away. Then Dr. Grant yelled at me to stop because apparently dragons cant see you if you dont move. So instead of trying to make it to the outhouse I just stood where I was and to my surprise it worked! That stupid dragon has been sitting next to me for two days now and hasnt done a damn thing. CD, maybe in a future update we could allow multiple characters to be played at once, because I really miss playing this game but that dragon has a lot of patience. I dont want to risk moving and having him see me because I just found my first ring of adornment and would be really sad if I lost it.
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

elswitzer wrote:Then Dr. Grant yelled at me to stop because apparently dragons cant see you if you dont move. So instead of trying to make it to the outhouse I just stood where I was and to my surprise it worked! That stupid dragon has been sitting next to me for two days now and hasnt done a damn thing. CD, maybe in a future update we could allow multiple characters to be played at once, because I really miss playing this game but that dragon has a lot of patience. I dont want to risk moving and having him see me because I just found my first ring of adornment and would be really sad if I lost it.
Does this mean you can press the sleep button and recharge your hp without taking any hits?
elswitzer

Post by elswitzer »

No, I just stay in one spot and dont do anything and he just sits next to me. Stupid lizard...
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Maybe im missing something here.

Seeing as the game is turn based, surely no creature moves unless you do?