Dex1138

Re: Building a proper set of armor

Post by Dex1138 »

There's the rub ;)
They were making a subtle Jurassic Park joke
nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

Personal experience has shown me that a good set of armor can be more useful than a good weapon. I've gotten blessed weapons and lightning weapons, yet was never able to win a game. And then one game I found a -1,0 katana and thought I was done for. Suprisingly, this game also happens to be the only game I have won with a character not Neo or Riddick. All it took was a Shozoku that granted me stealth (freeing up a ring-space for some rings of protection), some enchantments, and a couple of rings of protection, and a few weapon enchantment scrolls to make the katana adequate. In the end, I had -5AC and could survive mostly intact (nothing that a good rest couldn't heal) with a mediocre katana, proving to me that good armor can more than make up for a good weapon. Now traveling much deeper into the dungeon may be another story...

Also, is the Shozoku rust-proof? Cuz I was did not want to put it on during levels with aquators, but when I did and was hit by one, nothing happened to my AC (and I know it wasn't a scroll of protect armor because it did not say that the rust vanishes instantly). If so, it would be nice if the equipment page reflected this so that others would not be reluctant to use this armor early as I was.
Bleys

Post by Bleys »

I've beaten the game with AC 7. I have real problems getting a good set of armor most games. I end up getting rusted out by Aquators and traps, and when I try to change armor everything I find seems to be cursed. (nothing like finding multiple cursed leather -2 armors )

I don't think excellant armor is a must have, but to have a solid game you seem to need great armor or a great weapon.
Gin makes a man mean!
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

I haven't really noticed that much of a difference when comparing armor levels. I had -7 armor level and it didn't really seem any different from all the times I've had 0 or 2 or 3. What *exactly* does your armor level get you again? It's a chance they miss you or does it take a certain amount of damage off their hits? Rust protected armor is great though. Stealth armor is awesome. I find that most of the monsters in deeper dungeons are sleeping and you can just walk right past them, treasure rooms too. Sometimes I just walk around with no armor because you are automatically stealthy when you are naked...
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Elysium wrote:What *exactly* does your armor level get you again? It's a chance they miss you or does it take a certain amount of damage off their hits?
It makes it harder for the enemy to hit you. Damage is determined seperately.
Mister Fluff

Post by Mister Fluff »

elswitzer wrote:Come back when you have a real argument or understand sarcasm.
Amen.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

i would like a little more info, probably faq related about ac vs various monster attacks, i dont really know enough to make sense of the numbers even f i had them, weapon is priority one, then rings