iOS 9 vs. Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zaxxon

iOS 9 vs. Rogue Touch

Post by Zaxxon »

So after many trials and tribulations I finally updated to iOS 9.2 yesterday and immediately noticed two issues with Rogue Touch:
  1. If your HP is three digits and you have at least three digits of it remaining the game can no longer show the last digit of your total HP. So "123(123)" becomes "123(12" next to the heart symbol, presumably because the last two characters are hidden.
  2. Performance is not as good when double tapping around the dungeon (especially once a large portion of the map has been revealed).
Is a new version being considered?
F mazes, get gold.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: iOS 9 vs. Rogue Touch

Post by CommanderData »

Happy Holidays Zaxxon!

I'm on iOS 9.2 as well... In addition to your discoveries, a twitter user helped me track down a lock-up bug that occurs when using certain items in the inventory on the last move of your life (a monster hits and kills you as you wield a new weapon for example). I think this has actually been an issue for several iterations of iOS, but it's rare enough to trigger that I'd never figured out exactly what caused the lockup until @STG_LOVE helped.

I am absolutely considering a new version, and have addressed a couple bugs in a test compilation here over the holidays. The elephant in the room right now is the fact that some things that were OK in the old days are no longer supported and/or accepted in the app store :shock:

That means I need to modify a lot more than "broken" items in the programming before RT will pass the modern App Store review process. Since a lot of code needs changing anyway, I'm also looking at refitting all display code and using new sprite-work I've been saving for a rainy day...

Rather than retiring Rogue Touch from the App Store, I will put effort into this overhaul and bug-fixing in hopes of getting another 5 years of life for Rodney the Rogue!

My timetable is uncertain as of yet, but I'm on the verge of shutting down my consulting business... which means full time game programming likely for me 2016 :D
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Zaxxon wrote:So after many trials and tribulations I finally updated to iOS 9.2 yesterday and immediately noticed two issues with Rogue Touch:
  1. If your HP is three digits and you have at least three digits of it remaining the game can no longer show the last digit of your total HP. So "123(123)" becomes "123(12" next to the heart symbol, presumably because the last two characters are hidden.
Nor the last two digits if your HP is four digits. Just sayin'. :wink: :ugeek:
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Nighthawk wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:So after many trials and tribulations I finally updated to iOS 9.2 yesterday and immediately noticed two issues with Rogue Touch:
Nor the last two digits if your HP is four digits. Just sayin'. :wink: :ugeek:
Holy crap, a seriously wild dive you had going on to reach that 4 DIGIT HP! :shock: :D

The default font in iOS9 is different than prior versions, so that explains the clipping due to character width changes. I've also been annoyed that the ultra smooth retina text rendering was busted by something back in iOS7.

Just today I turned down a project that would've kept me busy for another whole year... Getting things lined up, and hope to start on a Rogue Touch overhaul / update shortly :geek:
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Finished my run of Floor 566 with ~2275 max HP. Much level-dancing with Wraiths to build that up early. I stopped so that my entry would fall just short of MikeL's on the all-time list (4th; should be 2nd), out of respect for his much better run (and because, let's be honest, after almost 1.5 years on-and-off playing that run, I got tired ;-) ). I double-vorped my first blessed weapon; lots more level-dancing and a really long time to find a second one.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

There is one more totally game-breaking way to do super-deep dives once you've reached the point where you can't damage enemies anymore unless you're doing a huge amount of level-dancing to find Enchant Weapon scrolls. I've never used this method (it's super-blatant cheating) and have not before mentioned it on this board, but is inherent to the nature of iOS and the way the game is coded, and probably known to other "high-level" players: play through a floor, and before moving to the next floor, double-push the Home button and force quit Rouge Touch *while RT is still the active application*. Since RT doesn't update its save-game state until you change floors, you'll start at the beginning of the floor you just played, while having gained valuable information about exactly where the exit is, where and what all of the loot is, and potential enemy avoidance paths (enemies sleeping but blocking doors, ability to streak to the exit without meeting up with any randomly-generated awake monsters, etc.). This is something you'll want to address in the RT 2.0 update and any future rougelikes you make on iOS.