ever have one of those days.....

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
twalkabout

Re: ever have one of those days.....

Post by twalkabout »

Elysium wrote:I'm so annoyed right now. I'm on level 182, and there is a monster blocking the only entrance to the stair room, and he WON'T FOLLOW ME. He only comes out 2-3 spaces from the door (in a hallway) and then turns around and goes back to guarding the door. I can't actually hit him, and I don't have any way to move him, so I can't get in. Used all 6 of my scrolls of teleportation hoping it would put me in the room. I'm just at a stalemate until I run out of my 64 rations of food...
are you playing as a secret character?

182 is the deepest I've heard of, impressive. I'm guessing the hallway leads into a catacomb, monsters often won't follow you into them. These are my suggestions:

1) find a pit trap and fall into it
2) let it hit you then it might follow you into the catacombs, especially once he is further away from the door
3) any wands of polymorph, transport, or cornucopia?
4) what kind of monster is it? if it's a vamp and you happen to have a potion of blessing, you could throw that
5) you could try a potion of confusion or blindness and see if they get confused enough to get out of the way and you can sneak past

if those don't work i'll think about other options...
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

twalkabout wrote:
Elysium wrote:I'm so annoyed right now. I'm on level 182, and there is a monster blocking the only entrance to the stair room, and he WON'T FOLLOW ME. He only comes out 2-3 spaces from the door (in a hallway) and then turns around and goes back to guarding the door. I can't actually hit him, and I don't have any way to move him, so I can't get in. Used all 6 of my scrolls of teleportation hoping it would put me in the room. I'm just at a stalemate until I run out of my 64 rations of food...
are you playing as a secret character?

182 is the deepest I've heard of, impressive. I'm guessing the hallway leads into a catacomb, monsters often won't follow you into them. These are my suggestions:

1) find a pit trap and fall into it
2) let it hit you then it might follow you into the catacombs, especially once he is further away from the door
4) what kind of monster is it? if it's a vamp and you happen to have a potion of blessing, you could throw that
5) you could try a potion of confusion or blindness and see if they get confused enough to get out of the way and you can sneak past

If you work out at which point/square where they turn around, you can switch between the square where he will follow and the square where he starts returning. Its kinda hard to explain but basically you hit him move into the "safe square"wait a turn, move back into the "danger square", press the sleep button until it reappears then hit him again. Repeat process and heal when needed. Unfortunately if the monster has regen properties (Griffs,Trolls etc) then this will not work im afraid.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

There's probably gold in the room it wants

Maybe try getting it to where it turns and before it heads back throw some food at it and see if that mixes it up

I've had this problem before but can always seem to find a solution

Also a good reason I keep a scroll/ring of aggravate monster in my pack when diving
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

twalkabout wrote: 1) find a pit trap and fall into it

Searched the whole rest of the place, with a ring of searching, no pit traps.
I've tried letting it hit me hundreds of times.
No.
It was a Vampire that I polymorphed into an Orc. Neither would follow me out, and I haven't been able to hit anything since floor 90.
Nope.

I cannot touch him (or any monster whatsoever), I've missed 100 straight attacks in a row. He will follow me out 4 squares into a hallway maze, but no matter what when I get to the intersection, let him hit me, then back up and sleep, he just turns around and goes back to the door. I've taken so many turns trying to get around him that now there are 4 monsters behind him, and probably 20-30 monsters elsewhere in the dungeon.

I really wish I had a ring of teleportation...

nohbdy

Post by nohbdy »

maybe you could try to lure them to that loop above the center bottom room and get around them that way...
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

nohbdy wrote:maybe you could try to lure them to that loop above the center bottom room and get around them that way...
No, the problem is he won't move left of the spot he's standing in right now. If I back up even one spot, he just runs back to the door.
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

take a pic of whatever else you have in your inventory and post it so we can see if there is anything that might help.

i can see the vamps have had a good time with your max HP.

how come you haven't levelled up to a bug chaser yet? even if you haven't been able to kill anything, haven't you found a couple potions of demolition or raise level to drink?

have you tried a ranged attack, even if you miss, maybe it will follow you? i think you have to hit them to get them to follow you though.

i think you are probably out of luck because even if you had one potion to deal with him, you'd then have to do the same for everybody behind him. but seeing as how you haven't been able to hit anybody for 100 floors, it's probably a good thing, you had to be getting a little bored...
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

I used everything that could help. Have rings of regen, stealth, protect, dex, incr dmg. Staff of light, cancel, slow mnst. Potions of heal, restore str. Scrolls of remove curse, monster confusion (useless, I can't hit them), hold monster, ident.

I didn't realize drinking potions of demolition would help level you up until I read it on this forum around level 150. I passed up/didn't use about a half dozen or so up to this point.

Seems like when you level up you should regain the lost HP from vamps.

Ranged attack misses every time.

Really wanted to break level 200. 182 just doesn't have the same ring to it.
twalkabout

Post by twalkabout »

yeah that's really a bummer, i can't think of anything else you can do. there does seem to be one square of the catacomb you have yet to explore (in the middle, directly below the cross shaped collection of monsters. you've got like a 1/100 shot that the stairs are there.

how about scrolls of sleep? i have never tried this, but if you had enough you could throw them one at a time and it might get them to back up? although the doorway would probably get in the way..
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

I moved the Orc! Apparently throwing food has a 100% hit rate, so using a scroll of confuse monster and then throwing food causes them to be confused. This confused him just enough to move out of that hallway, and he followed me the rest of the way. Only problem is the two jabberwocks behind him are still blocking me and have the same behavior.