Did the update make this game a LOT harder?

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Mister Fluff

Did the update make this game a LOT harder?

Post by Mister Fluff »

I played this when it first came out on the iPhone, then deleted all the games on my phone at the end of this last year. I got the inkling to play Rogue Touch a few weeks back and redownloaded it...only to find it is MUCH, MUCH harder! Was there an update this last year that made this game more difficult?

Whatever happened, the game isn't as fun as when I first got it and played it a bunch. My kids used to borrow my iPhone to play all the time and when I redownloaded this time around, they played a few times and then stopped. I told my son to get his homework done last night if he wanted to play Rogue on the iPad (we downloaded the game to the iPad this time around) and his response was, "nah, it's harder and not funner now." I asked my daughter if that was true and she confirmed it by saying she'd rather play something she thought was winnable.

So, Commander Data - Is there an update to the current version that is more difficult, and if so... why?
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Did the update make this game a LOT harder?

Post by CommanderData »

Mister Fluff wrote:I played this when it first came out on the iPhone, then deleted all the games on my phone at the end of this last year. I got the inkling to play Rogue Touch a few weeks back and redownloaded it...only to find it is MUCH, MUCH harder! Was there an update this last year that made this game more difficult?

Whatever happened, the game isn't as fun as when I first got it and played it a bunch. My kids used to borrow my iPhone to play all the time and when I redownloaded this time around, they played a few times and then stopped. I told my son to get his homework done last night if he wanted to play Rogue on the iPad (we downloaded the game to the iPad this time around) and his response was, "nah, it's harder and not funner now." I asked my daughter if that was true and she confirmed it by saying she'd rather play something she thought was winnable.

So, Commander Data - Is there an update to the current version that is more difficult, and if so... why?
Which version are you running now, and when did you last update? Rogue Touch has not had an update released since July of 2010, and there were two or three quick updates over the course of a month.

Difficulty was never intentionally adjusted. HOWEVER- If you happend to be playing version 1.51, released on July 8th you would have thought that version was *much* easier. That one version was, due to a mistake that left the background processes for monster motion, hunger, etc all turned OFF if you started a game, exited, and resumed again. That meant you'd never die of hunger, and monsters would not chase or attack you anymore. That had a new update issued to fix the problem 3 days later.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe you were playing as secret characters before (intentionally, or accidentally) that had enough horsepower to keep you alive.

Monster AI has not changed at all. Frequency of traps has not changed. There have been small adjustments to picking new items to disperse on a floor that were needed to support the new types of items I keep adding into the game. These amount to fractions of a percent difference of finding a healing potion for example, certainly not any malicious attempts at keeping players from success.

May I suggest trying Neo, Thor, Drizzt, Athena, or some of the other superior secret characters again? See how the game feels with them, perhaps your memory is tinted with victorious conquests with those guys :mrgreen:

If not, then hang tight for Spirit Hunter Mineko and the "Rogue Touch EX" projects, which will both have selectable difficulty levels ;)