Does "Powerful Magic" mean a guaranteed pit trap?

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Mister Fluff

Does "Powerful Magic" mean a guaranteed pit trap?

Post by Mister Fluff »

I've tried to get some "Powerful Magic" for months now, and have yet to do it. We stopped counting how many games we've played total, and only keep track of games that tell you at some point you're sensing "powerful magic" on the floor. Our white board on the fridge has 34 tick marks on it to keep track now, and we've never found any powerful magic!

I'm sure it's on the level somewhere, but we fall into a pit trap EVERY SINGLE TIME! Does powerful magic mean there is an automatic pit trap created as well? We did try to search every step on the last level that told us about powerful magic, and it still didn't find the pit trap we fell into.

Seriously, how do you get powerful magic, what is it, and how can the pit traps come EVERY TIME you're notified about powerful magic being sensed? It's kinda frustrating, and would indicate that it's not truly random if it's that consistent. HELP?
Nighthawk

Re: Does "Powerful Magic" mean a guaranteed pit trap?

Post by Nighthawk »

To my knowledge there's nothing linking the appearance of pit traps (or any other traps) to the "You sense powerful magic on this floor!" level hint message. Also, "powerful magic" can refer to any weapon, armor, staff, wand, or ring. In the case of weapons, armor, and rings it means that the bonus conferred on that object (or set of objects in the case of some weapons) is above (and sometimes well above) normal. In the case of staves or wands, that object has a significantly higher number of charges than normal.

It's possible that you picked up the item in question on different occasions but never identified the item. "Powerful" magical weapons and armor self-identify and are immediately obvious. Rings, wands, and staves do not self-identify, so you'll need to use a Scroll of Identify to determine just how powerful (or how charge-laden) an item is.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

I had to laugh as I read that title!

There is definitely no direct link to extra pit traps and powerful magic. Although I too experience the pain of that loss at times. It also seems to happen a lot when I play as NEO and spot a party room. Trying to make my way over to collect all that sweet, sweet experience and treasure, then BAM! Right through the floor...

As Nighthawk mentions, the types included:
1) Weapons - will usually be +2,+2 and have either fire, ice, or lightning elements attached
2) Armor - will usually be +3 to +5 in additional protection
3) Rings - if it's a ring it will be a stat modifying one like protection, strength, etc. It will usually be +5.
4) Staff/Wand - These will hold a random number of charges, but 3x the normal range of charges.

Hopefully you will get a chance to grab one of these someday! Certain items can be powerful game-changers: Especially ice weapons, or a supercharged staff of cornucopia! :mrgreen:
Mister Fluff

Post by Mister Fluff »

Since I posted the original topic: Three more Powerful Magics sensed and three more pit traps...

...are you sure there's no link to the two? Since I updated to my current version, I have never left a "powerful magic" floor via the stairs - it's always through a pit trap - and I've never collected a fire, blessed, shocking, or icy weapon without using a cheater character!

Did the likelihood of getting something SHAZAM go down with the current update?