An absolute travesty...

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Nighthawk

An absolute travesty...

Post by Nighthawk »

CD, feel free to remove this post if you feel it's out of line, but as it involves a game that you and I both enjoy being... outright stolen, basically, I wanted to get the word out.

Anyone who's played Desktop Dungeons knows how awesome it is. QCF Design, the guys behind the game, have done a lot of work to get the game where it is today, and they're just a few months away from completing the Full version and generating revenue. In the mean time, a company (that I shall not name) has released an exact gameplay clone (which I also will not name) on the App Store today. This post is to urge anyone reading it to NOT purchase the clone! (You'll recognize it as soon as you read the description and see the screenshots). Do right by the guys who make Desktop Dungeons - give them a little time to get their port to the iPhone, and purchase that instead.

The situation is discussed on QCF's blog here: http://www.qcfdesign.com/?p=376
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: An absolute travesty...

Post by CommanderData »

I was wondering how this was going to turn out... noticed the preview on TouchArcade. The fellow doing the work actually gave me a nod saying my development of Rogue Touch was an inspiration to him! I honestly believe he is a nice guy, but it appears the work he did is *way* too close to Desktop Dungeons in the end.

Yes, of course Rogue Touch is itself a clone, built from scratch just as this person has done with his Desktop Dungeons clone. The differences end there though, Rogue Touch is a dramatic departure in look and feel of the original game, not to mention the original Rogue is freely available in source form with the MIT license. The QCF guys are a company looking to monetize Desktop Dungeons shortly, so this clone really hurts their bottom line. Not to mention the striking similarity that the DD clone has! You'd almost think that it was an official port, which probably pains QCF even more.

I wish I'd contacted QCF way back after first playing DD... I had considered trying to partner with them to do an official port earlier this year, but had too much other work on my plate. :oops:

Will be watching how this unfolds with great interest. I hope both parties involved are able to come to some sort of mutually beneficial agreement rather than dogfight with lawyers. Nobody wins in that case.

It goes without saying that QCF has my money once their port is ready too :mrgreen: