Ranged attack survey

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Ranged attack survey

Post by Zakia »

You know, I've been wondering if my approach to the game as a ranger is abnormal. I always have a shortage of ammo halfway-1/3 through and I'm wondering: How can I better conserve my ammunition? It just dosn't drop as often as I'd hope to continue my style through a game.

So, I'd have a quick survey for all players. Please post your answers as a reply to this thread.

Code: Select all

1) Do you use ranged weapons for your main attack?

2) Do you feel an ammunition shortage? How long have you gone on a single set of ammo (12 sets of any ammo)

3) Do you switch to melee weapons, or do you use bows as melee too?

4) Would you like to find a projectile weapon with unlimited ammo, at a cost of crappy stats?

5) Would you like to trade unused or incompatible ammo with stores for a different ammo?

6) Do you purposely enchant ammunition?

7) Are you more likely to use your bow & Ammo, or sell it in a store?

8) Do you use your mace when you start a game or your bow?

9) Are you satisfied with ranged combat's ammo and range?
My answers. I'm obviously a fan of it, but I've made this mainly to question how much people use ranged attacks.

Whenever I have the option.
2) Do you feel an ammunition shortage? How long have you gone on a single set of ammo (12 sets of any ammo)
5ish.
Usualy bows early game, although I coulf go all-melle if I find a good melee weapon.
4) Would you like to find a projectile weapon with unlimited ammo, at a cost of crappy stats?
Yeah.
5) Would you like to trade unused or incompatible ammo with stores for a different ammo?
Definitely. Crossbow bolts are annoying without crossbows, and I'd love to take advantage of a +'d bow's stats instead of flicking unbuffed daggers.
No.
I might sell my bow if it's weaker than my mace & I'm out of ammo.
Bow. Regeneration takes to long early, so I like to keep my distance.
Ammo: I don't get enough to whet my appetite after level 20ish.
Range: Great if you need room, or have rusted/cursed armor.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Zyxt

Re: Ranged attack survey

Post by Zyxt »

So I'm not alone in being a ranger!

Yes.

With daggers, I've gone the entire game. Arrows and bolts, about 5.

I use my ranged weapon as my melee weapon.

Depends on how crappy they are.

Absolutely.

No, except for daggers.

I'm more likely to keep it, unless I get a better ranged weapon.

Bow.

I am satisfied, but if there were more ammo, I'd be happier.
Peace and love,
~B/Z
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

Daggers don't dissapear? That's awesome!, just need to find some.

Freezing daggers... *Droll*
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Zyxt

Post by Zyxt »

That's how it seems. Same with shuriken, and I believe darts. Honestly though, I just love throwin' knives, and daggers is close enough. :D
Peace and love,
~B/Z
Zakia

Post by Zakia »

D: I need one! =D

Seriously though, all throwables/ammmo need a huge drop rate increase.
~Miguel
Pugachov

Post by Pugachov »

No, not unless I am weak, in cursed a/o rusted armor or similar. I will use them more often if I know what I am shooting at or if I find some cool ranged weapons. Mostly I use ranged weapons to make things come to me, to take out a helpless xeroc or venus flytrap, or to wear down a troll or similar nasty that I just paralyzed and ran away from across the room

I do not feel there is a shortage of ranged weapons but I do think there is an ammo shortage. It is frustrating to get a +2/+2 flaming crossbow and have no bolts to put in it. Since I can typically recover arrows I have had them throughout the game (for me down to level 23).

I switch, this is part of my D&D conditioning so I am not sure I have to. Also based on the weapons damage indicated in the Weapons FAQ --- most melee weapons do more damage.

Sure, it would be an option and just provide some variety in game play.

Absolutely, this is a non purist approach but variety in game play is mostly good thing. I do not consider this an essential feature request and understand that the resource limitations are part of the challange.

Not when I can enchant the Bow or ranged weapon. I made vorpal shruikens once, that was cool.

I like having at least 1 good ranged weapon, I tend to hang onto my bow because the ammo is more plentiful. I would sell it in a store if I thought I had a good tank character (Rustproof armor) or another good ranged weapon.

Both- mostly mace as I am impatient and I like to kill things on the way to the next room or item. I will use my bow to determine the dimensions of a dark room and what critters are in it; I will also use my bow to make monsters come to me and then finish them off with my mace if they make it.

I have yet to notice a range limitation? I would like it if the game knew I had a crossbow to make crossbow bolts more common.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

Not sure how it worked but I had an icy bow shooting flaming arrows... I chucked em both cause I needed the room but I thought that was an amusing combination
kennfusion

Post by kennfusion »

Since most monsters surprise me in the dark, I don't have much of a choice usually. When given the option to use ranged I do, unless I know it is an easy fight (like I don't bother against fly traps)

I usually start off a ranged fight with any non-normal throwing weapons, like a spear, hammer or even the start mace. Since I usually have a few weapons to throw before I even get to ammo, I usually don't have shortages.

wait, people equip bows? really? Just throw the ammo imho :D

wait, people equip bows? really? hehe

can I just have stacks of hammers to throw?

no

well no stores, but I just drop bows when I get full

mace, below floor 10 that starting mace will kill just about anything.

sure
preuve

Post by preuve »

Sorry, I'm a little bit late to this thread... I'd like to use ranged attacks more often but I almost find no opportunity after the first couple of floors. Perhaps, you could give me some tips.

Unless I have a wand of light, I almost always see a monster when it is adjacent to me. How do you rangers get an opportunity to fire the bows at a range or do you still use the bow whilst the monster is next to you?

It also takes turns to swap between a melee or ranged weapon (unless you're throwing darts or shurikens).

Between these reasons, I don't use ranged weapons. Any tips would be appreciated!
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

preuve wrote:Sorry, I'm a little bit late to this thread... I'd like to use ranged attacks more often but I almost find no opportunity after the first couple of floors. Perhaps, you could give me some tips.

Unless I have a wand of light, I almost always see a monster when it is adjacent to me. How do you rangers get an opportunity to fire the bows at a range or do you still use the bow whilst the monster is next to you?

It also takes turns to swap between a melee or ranged weapon (unless you're throwing darts or shurikens).

Between these reasons, I don't use ranged weapons. Any tips would be appreciated!
Since I'm lurking this morning I might as well chime in :lol:

Darkness is the big enemy. Wands of light are important, but you might not have one available. Potions of clairvoyance are great too, but they only last for a single floor.

One trick I use: checking out the edge wall of a new room that I just entered (immediately around the door). Once I know the orientation (is it wide and squat, or tall and narrow) I take some shots in the dark toward the longer directions to see if I hit anything. If you do make contact, don't wait until it gets in your field of view. Keep shooting and ask questions later :lol: