Ranged attack survey

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Re: Ranged attack survey

Post by Zakia »

Kennfusion, using a bow does a lot more damage than throwing. Is it more painful to be hit with a 10mph arrow or 50mph?
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

I constantly have ranged weapons in stock, in one game i had over 50 arrows, 40+ crossbow bolts, darts, shurikens. My question is this: which is the most effective ranged weapon? My feeling is arrows, but you need to equip the bow to take advantage of the increased chance to hit. Although the power often seems to vary, one time it took over 10 shurikens to kill a yeti, another game it took only 3. Confused? Yes i am....
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Jim2wheels wrote:I constantly have ranged weapons in stock, in one game i had over 50 arrows, 40+ crossbow bolts, darts, shurikens. My question is this: which is the most effective ranged weapon? My feeling is arrows, but you need to equip the bow to take advantage of the increased chance to hit. Although the power often seems to vary, one time it took over 10 shurikens to kill a yeti, another game it took only 3. Confused? Yes i am....
Remember that shurikens damage ranges from 2-8 points per hit. Additionally (if I recall correctly.... *checks Vade-Mecum*...), Yeti have 4 Hit Dice, so their HP could be anywhere from 4-32, with an AC of 6.

You can roll really bad attacks, or the Yeti could be a the top end of the HP spectrum.
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Nighthawk wrote:
Jim2wheels wrote:I constantly have ranged weapons in stock, in one game i had over 50 arrows, 40+ crossbow bolts, darts, shurikens. My question is this: which is the most effective ranged weapon? My feeling is arrows, but you need to equip the bow to take advantage of the increased chance to hit. Although the power often seems to vary, one time it took over 10 shurikens to kill a yeti, another game it took only 3. Confused? Yes i am....
Remember that shurikens damage ranges from 2-8 points per hit. Additionally (if I recall correctly.... *checks Vade-Mecum*...), Yeti have 4 Hit Dice, so their HP could be anywhere from 4-32, with an AC of 6.

You can roll really bad attacks, or the Yeti could be a the top end of the HP spectrum.
Forgive me if i am missing something here (only had the game for a few weeks), on the list it says shurikens do 2d4, does that not translate to chance to hit 2, damage 4? Also could you expand on the hit dice aspect you mention please? That part of the game is not something i was aware of - although it makes perfect sense.

Appreciate your time Nighthawk :D
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Jim2wheels wrote: Forgive me if i am missing something here (only had the game for a few weeks), on the list it says shurikens do 2d4, does that not translate to chance to hit 2, damage 4? Also could you expand on the hit dice aspect you mention please? That part of the game is not something i was aware of - although it makes perfect sense.

Nighthawk's very astute, and on the right track!

When we say shurikens do 2d4, this is a holdover from good old fashioned D&D (Dungeons and Dragons). When attacking something the damage done was based on rolling dice. 2d4 meant (and does mean to us) to roll *two* dice that each have numbers 1-4 on them. This means you can do a minimum of 2 damage (if each "die" rolls a 1) or up to 8 (if each "die" rolls a 4).

When referring to an enemies' "hit dice" the idea is the same... "roll" four, eight side "dice" which gives you anything from 4-32 hit points for that Yeti. We'll have a lot of this detail in our FAQ of course (soon I hope)... :D
Jim2wheels

Post by Jim2wheels »

Thanks for the info CD :)

Having never been a D&D player the whole dice rolling thing is not something i am familiar with. This will surely boost my playing skills, have been scraping quite a few games just under the leaderboard so this may be the extra boost i needed!

Bizzarely enough i used to have the original rogue which i never beat, although i cant remember if it was on my Amiga 512 or CPC 464 :)
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

CommanderData: Is THAC0 calculated the same way as DND as well? At Experience Level 1 THAC0 is 20, and it drops one per level?

Geek translation for non-DND players: THAC0 (To Hit Armor Class 0) is the number you need to roll (on a d20) to successfully hit a creature with Armor Class 0. So if you are a level one character, and you took a swing at the aforementioned Yeti, you'd need to roll a 14 (THAC0 of 20, minus the Yeti's AC of 6) on a d20 to hit him, after which damage is calculated. This also means that without magical help, your level 1 character can't hit a Dragon (whose AC is -1)!
nghtstr

Post by nghtstr »

Nighthawk wrote:This also means that without magical help, your level 1 character can't hit a Dragon (whose AC is -1)!
Actually, that is inaccurate. Rolling a Natural 20 on a d20 is an Automatic hit, just as rolling a Natural 1 is an Automatic Miss (or fumble if your DM is evil and cruel :lol:)
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Nighthawk wrote:CommanderData: Is THAC0 calculated the same way as DND as well? At Experience Level 1 THAC0 is 20, and it drops one per level?

Geek translation for non-DND players: THAC0 (To Hit Armor Class 0) is the number you need to roll (on a d20) to successfully hit a creature with Armor Class 0. So if you are a level one character, and you took a swing at the aforementioned Yeti, you'd need to roll a 14 (THAC0 of 20, minus the Yeti's AC of 6) on a d20 to hit him, after which damage is calculated. This also means that without magical help, your level 1 character can't hit a Dragon (whose AC is -1)!
You've got that right! There are some modifiers to be aware of in Rogue Touch: Weapon "to hit" bonus (the first plus, as in a +1, +2 Mace is +1 to hit, +2 to damage), Rings of Dexterity, high Strength, whether your opponent is sleeping or frozen, etc. It's actually quite complicated :ugeek:
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

CommanderData wrote:
Jim2wheels wrote: Forgive me if i am missing something here (only had the game for a few weeks), on the list it says shurikens do 2d4, does that not translate to chance to hit 2, damage 4? Also could you expand on the hit dice aspect you mention please? That part of the game is not something i was aware of - although it makes perfect sense.

Nighthawk's very astute, and on the right track!

When we say shurikens do 2d4, this is a holdover from good old fashioned D&D (Dungeons and Dragons). When attacking something the damage done was based on rolling dice. 2d4 meant (and does mean to us) to roll *two* dice that each have numbers 1-4 on them. This means you can do a minimum of 2 damage (if each "die" rolls a 1) or up to 8 (if each "die" rolls a 4).

When referring to an enemies' "hit dice" the idea is the same... "roll" four, eight side "dice" which gives you anything from 4-32 hit points for that Yeti. We'll have a lot of this detail in our FAQ of course (soon I hope)... :D
...it's quite a mathematical challenge this game. I have found myself asking questions like:
1) Is there a difference to have 2d6 or 6d2?'
2) If a weapon does 1d1, I am assuming it has practically 0% chance of doing any damage?
3) Would a real D&D 1d1 die have multiple sides with the number 1 on it? And if so, what's the point of rolling it if you know the result will be 1?

Also, how does Nighthawk seem to know the stats of the Yeti. The bestiary currently only has pictures and descriptions...is there a standard stat for each creature that is used for all D&D based games?

Anyone care to relieve me from my confusion. Thanks in advance :D