Ranged attack survey

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Zakia

Re: Ranged attack survey

Post by Zakia »

Results:

1)Do you use ranged weapons for your main attack?
Half said yes.
2) Do you feel an ammunition shortage? How long have you gone on a single set of ammo (12 sets of any ammo)
Most people go for 5 levels with 12 arrows.
3) Do you switch to melee weapons, or do you use bows as melee too?
Half of people use bows, half switch.
4) Would you like to find a projectile weapon with unlimited ammo, at a cost of crappy stats?
Half Neutral, half for.
5) Would you like to trade unused or incompatible ammo with stores for a different ammo?
Everyone said yes.
6) Do you purposely enchant ammunition?
Everyone said no.
7) Are you more likely to use your bow & Ammo, or sell it in a store?
Everyone kept, but some sell it when they are inferior.
8) Do you use your mace when you start a game or your bow?
2 said bow, 2 switch.
9) Are you satisfied with ranged combat's ammo and range?
2 Neutral, 2 satisfied.
There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every second...
~Miguel
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Alichan wrote: ...it's quite a mathematical challenge this game. I have found myself asking questions like:
1) Is there a difference to have 2d6 or 6d2?'
2) If a weapon does 1d1, I am assuming it has practically 0% chance of doing any damage?
3) Would a real D&D 1d1 die have multiple sides with the number 1 on it? And if so, what's the point of rolling it if you know the result will be 1?

Also, how does Nighthawk seem to know the stats of the Yeti. The bestiary currently only has pictures and descriptions...is there a standard stat for each creature that is used for all D&D based games?

Anyone care to relieve me from my confusion. Thanks in advance :D
1) Yes, the first has a damage range of 2-12, the other has a range of 6-12.
2) It will always do 1 point of damage if you sucessfully hit.
3) No.

<Third Person> Because Nighthawk has been playing Rogue (in various versions) for a RealLongTimeNow. Also, when he forgets stuff, he looks here. (He assumes that much of this information is similar but not exact to Rogue Touch, hence Jessica's FAQ page). </Third Person>
Alichan

Post by Alichan »

Nighthawk wrote:
1) Yes, the first has a damage range of 2-12, the other has a range of 6-12.
2) It will always do 1 point of damage if you sucessfully hit.
3) No.

<Third Person> Because Nighthawk has been playing Rogue (in various versions) for a RealLongTimeNow. Also, when he forgets stuff, he looks here. (He assumes that much of this information is similar but not exact to Rogue Touch, hence Jessica's FAQ page). </Third Person>
Ahh, I can sleep now. Thank you Nighthawk :) I shall print off that Vade-Mecum now. Nothing like a bit of light reading before beddy bye's :shock:

Honestly, I feel like a stuck record. I've been saying over and over again how great this game is now (to my self sadly) for the past 2 days....so I'll say it again....this game is GREAT! My only other experience of RPG gaming has been WoW which lasted a few weeks until my conscience got the better of me, but this game really get's down to brass tacks. Pure unadulterated flight's of the fancy without all the zip zap and zoo graphics. Who needs them? Not me. When I load up Rogue Touch, I am right there in the mysterious, dark, and ever so slightly damp environment (the sounds are spot on by the way!), groping around the walls, blindly drinking concoctions of god knows what, and flailing around my currently wielded weapon of choice like a lunatic.....hang on, maybe this is not the best tactic, rather a reflection of my current level of gameplay :oops: Nontheless, gameplay it most certainly is. This little 59p gem will sit on my iPod Touch 'Dock' for a long time to come :)

p.s Sorry, I have totally diverged from the OP's intended thread topic....I am ashamed :roll:

EDIT: To recompense my sin, I have just posted the above 'review' on the UK iTunes store. Hope it helps...
Last edited by Alichan on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
weirdingway

Post by weirdingway »

I'm not really a fan of ranged weapons as they at best only save you a few turns because of the limited viewing area on a portrait orientation. Now if I could have a melee weapon equipped and a ranged weapon as well so I can shoot at range and melee in melee without wasting a turn I would try ranged weapons. It's also sort of annoying to have to loot the arrows every kill. Also it's just so much easier to play by holding a direction to attack than choose a direction to shoot for each initial attack and have to adjust every time you or the monster moves.
NightOwl40

Post by NightOwl40 »

I found a +2+2 shocking crosssbow on one runthrough, but never found any bolts for it, so I tried it as a melee weapon and found that it still would shock the crap outta enemies from time to time.