iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance - Fixed in V1.6(?)

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Drockle

Re: iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance

Post by Drockle »

Greetings. If you need another tester with 3GS w/iOS4, I'd love to help!

-Eric
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Played a little more, so some more observations:

Combat is a lot slower, may 50% or worse. Also, it may be subjective, but it seems like the longer I'm on a level, the subtly slower everything gets. After the new level loads, everything is cool again (as cool as it currently can be). I don't think you have a memory leak anywhere; it may just be a side effect of whatever Apple changed in the API.
mickeymammoth

Post by mickeymammoth »

Got my iphone4; even slowed down, it's playable thankfully, and is actually faster than on my 3G with the previous OS. I am willing to test it on my old 3G with iOS4, although I have no experience doing so. Note that I got the low memory warning frequently on the old phone; is that still an issue for everyone else?

Ramona
Ace Pumpkin

Post by Ace Pumpkin »

Hi, just lost effectively via starvation with a guy named "Plot Device" after getting the Amulet and hurrying up stair cases, argh.

Regarding iOS4, I have noticed, beyond the slowdowns, that I can sometimes swing more than once, sometimes 3+ times, at a monster. This phenomenon seemed to occur more in the early levels, and possibly more while I was standing on a door. So, the error (at least mine) seems to be related to event handling and not screen redraws.

Cheers,
Aaron (also had a character named USA 3, SLO 2 but he fared as well as that sentiment!)
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Ace Pumpkin wrote:Hi, just lost effectively via starvation with a guy named "Plot Device" after getting the Amulet and hurrying up stair cases, argh.

Regarding iOS4, I have noticed, beyond the slowdowns, that I can sometimes swing more than once, sometimes 3+ times, at a monster. This phenomenon seemed to occur more in the early levels, and possibly more while I was standing on a door. So, the error (at least mine) seems to be related to event handling and not screen redraws.

Cheers,
Aaron (also had a character named USA 3, SLO 2 but he fared as well as that sentiment!)
Very interesting! You were not fighting bats, slimes, or a confused monster during those observations by chance? And/or wearing Spartan Armor? Just want to get the facts clear before I start looking at something that may not be an issue with iOS 4 :D

My actual "development unit" iPhone 4 will be arriving on Tuesday, so I think I can make much more progress at that point. I am convinced part of it is drawing/antialiasing stuff that should not be. Hopefully that is all it is, because fixing it will be much easier than some obscure issue that forces me to rewrite all display code :cry:
Ace Pumpkin

Post by Ace Pumpkin »

CommanderData wrote:
Ace Pumpkin wrote:Regarding iOS4, I have noticed, beyond the slowdowns, that I can sometimes swing more than once, sometimes 3+ times, at a monster. This phenomenon seemed to occur more in the early levels, and possibly more while I was standing on a door. So, the error (at least mine) seems to be related to event handling and not screen redraws.
Very interesting! You were not fighting bats, slimes, or a confused monster during those observations by chance? And/or wearing Spartan Armor? Just want to get the facts clear before I start looking at something that may not be an issue with iOS 4 :D
That's correct! I fought at least an ice monster and a hobgoblin in this way, no spartan cuirass, no confusion. I think I tried to tap rapidly in the direction of the monster, before the flavor text/redraw describing the hit/miss had a chance to display. I was trying to overwhelm the refresh! (such a cheat, I know, but hopefully useful for debugging!)

**EDIT** I'm trying a new character now and can't seem to recreate hitting 2 or more times against regular-moving creatures. Maybe I was imagining things (it doesn't help that my starter mace was vorpalized within the first couple of levels!). I'm not sure if that overwhelming tactic worked at all... ugh, well, I'll keep trying.
mickeymammoth

Post by mickeymammoth »

I take it back; it's slower on the iPhone 4 than on my old iPhone 3G on the previous os. It's just no fun to play :(
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Hey CD, just a thought, but you might want to add a callout blurb to RT's iTunes description at the top that tells people that you're aware of the poor performance and that a fix will be forthcoming.
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

mickeymammoth wrote:I take it back; it's slower on the iPhone 4 than on my old iPhone 3G on the previous os. It's just no fun to play :(
I agree, it is slower on an iPhone 4 than on a EDGE/2G running version 3.0! Once my development iPhone 4 arrives (tomorrow if the tracking info is to be believed) I should be able to try several of my ideas in rapid succession. Hopefully my original guess is correct and I can submit a compatibility update this week. Hang on just a bit longer.
Nighthawk wrote:Hey CD, just a thought, but you might want to add a callout blurb to RT's iTunes description at the top that tells people that you're aware of the poor performance and that a fix will be forthcoming.
Good idea! Not sure how many people look at the iTunes page on any given day... I can usually count new sales on one hand these days, but any little bit helps to get the word out! :D
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

I was thinking that changing the description on iTunes would help prevent ratings backlash from those few new customers you do get.