iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance - Fixed in V1.6(?)

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
Nighthawk

Re: iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance

Post by Nighthawk »

Having completed my 0 kill attempt (2 kills too many, 1 unavoidable, 1 by mistake) some further observations (again, this is using the glitch described above):

*I never got hungry, my current health never improved by walking around or waiting (it did improve when I leveled up as normal), monsters never seemed to get added to a level if I hung around too long. Didn't pick up enough stuff to test if I could become encumbered. Weapon counts depleted properly when I used an arrow, for example. The best way to describe it is that time stood still in the game, but I was still able to travel through it.

*Traps all appear to work properly, including sleep and bear traps.

*Monster behavior: goblins(?) never went to protect treasure when I entered a room. Never attacked a slime, so I'm not sure if they divide. Never saw a message (based on the two monsters I intentionally attacked) about knocking an opponent back (not sure if there is supposed to be one - maybe there should be?).

*Endgame - Everything appears to work just fine. Score is properly posted on high score boards.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

One last thing that's not a bug related to iOS4, but is a bug in my opinion, that's been around since v1.0: if I'm carrying the Amulet, I shouldn't be able to trigger a pit trap (or really, any other trap). The point is that the Amulet (traditionally) causes the player to levitate, allowing for going up the "stairs" (holes in ceilings).

Thought you might take a look at this one, too, since you'll be knee-deep in code anyway. :-)
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Well this is a fine disaster! Something appears to be different with the final App Store Distribution build!!! WTF :shock:

I think I may just have to pull it completely until I can figure out what is being broken by the submission process. This is awful, awful news. If I can figure out what happened, maybe I can get an expedited bug fix from Apple. Stay tuned...
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Ah-ha! Found the problem already... submitted a "hotfix" version 1.52 that correctly saves the state of all background processing "daemons" just about 15 minutes ago.

Now the big problem: I could pull the game completely, but then there is no way to tell people a fix is coming. If I leave it there, anyone who upgrades to or downloads 1.51 will be subject to the problem!

I have requested an "expedited review" from Apple, These requests may or may not be honored. If I am lucky and they deem it worthy, I could get approval of 1.52 today or tomorrow. If I am not, it could take another 3,5, or 7 days.

This is a tough decision! :evil:
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Based on your messages, I'm guessing that I know what most of those daemons control... ;-)

I'd leave the game in the App Store with a big ***v1.52 HOTFIX SUBMITTED*** and a short blurb about what the user can expect if they download and install v1.51 and that those problems should be fixed shortly (kinda like my first suggestion on this issue). :-)
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Ok, for now I have made the decision to keep Rogue Touch "live" in the store, and post the details about the problem and pending solution in as many places as I can... The 1.52 update will solve this problem with game save states, and I'll wipe out any obvious "cheaters" on the leaderboards so everything can get back to normal quickly.

* Right here :)
* Twitter info sent to my followers
* TouchArcade Rogue Touch thread
* iTunes description
* Version 1.51 update description
* Left a min-review to myself for Rogue Touch in iTunes for those who read reviews ;)

Hopefully this will be enough to stem the tide until version 1.52 goes live. Any of you here who have NOT updated to v1.51 yet, just wait, and download 1.52 instead as soon as it's available. You'll have much more fun! :mrgreen:

Nighthawk, your quick posting and detailed analysis led me to the problem quickly, thank you very much! You earned a spot to beta test any of my upcoming games that interest you. PM me with your UDID again if you want to check out a copy of the Mineko tech-demo that I've been using for my dungeon testing and video creation, you earned a sneak peek :D
Ace Pumpkin

Post by Ace Pumpkin »

Yes, bravo to Nighthawk! And to CommanderData! I was going to post roughly the same things (and arrows moving slow), but I hadn't figured out why, unlike the intrepid Nighthawk. Monsters generated after the level was created moved normally, by the way, I think...

*EDIT* Slimes would split, but neither moved. *EDIT again* I am at 58 out of 60 hit points and haven't changed. I know, all will be fixed, but thought I should say it anyway).*that was it for edits, promise*

I did notice, by the way, that the ice monsters' problem with failing to attack was some sort of behavior. Sometimes, but not always, they wouldn't attack when right next to me, which allowed me to attack twice. This has happened in both 1.5 and 1.5.1 (unfrozen monsters). Perhaps I should post that in the bug report thread?

Also, could be imagining, but when I first played 1.5.1 and I got my character, first thing he did was read a scroll (my random item) and the monster in the room didn't appear to move (but did later). Maybe that was just part of this build.

This is a dang shame about the freezing monsters as I have a good character started! He found slow digestion ring early and then two-handed sword, a +5 ring of increase damage (worn sporadically of course; he did get hungry once so far). Whatever you fix, don't "fix" the item generator!

Maybe we can finally end this thread soon! Yay!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

I'm honored, CD, thanks! I'll send you a PM or e-mail later today (at work now).

And who are these "cheaters" you're talking about? It's totally possible to retrieve the Amulet and only kill two monsters! :-p ;-)
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

1.52 is now in the iStore. I completely re-powered the phone to make sure nothing else was sucking memory or CPU before firing it up.

Definitely faster on my measly 3G iPhone running iOS4 than v1.5 was. But it still seems sluggish to me compared to v1.5 on iOS3 when 1) running, and 2) fighting. There's a noticeable lag between tapping to move and actually moving. Same for searching. The animation of monsters when I swing and miss is also slightly but noticeably slower still.

This release is playable (thanks CD! for the quick turnaround), but only just. :(
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Yes, 1.52 is definitely a good fix. Everything game-mechanic wise that was broken in 1.51 is fixed in 1.52. There's still some other small things, which I'm just copying and pasting from that epic first post, as they are still issues in 1.52.

Speed is much improved (32Mb 3GS, iOS 4.0), however running is very jerky - sometimes runs fast, then slows a little, then fast again, similar to what I described in v1.50 on iOS4 - seemed like an "encountered a door I need to put on the screen" kind of thing. Not sure if it's the mini-map or something else. The "movement is quick when starting a level but slows down the more you explore" is still there, but not as bad. Fade out on stairs decent and fade in on new level (after the first) still seem a little sluggish. Combat is slightly sluggish but much improved.

In the menus, when selecting an item, the screen wipes from right to left and presents the buttons of what to do with the item. The action buttons not labelled "Throw" or "Drop" - no word fills in until after the wipe completes - that's not the case in 1.50, where the item-contextual actions are already in place on their appropriate buttons and scroll in normally.