iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance - Fixed in V1.6(?)

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
oldroguer

Re: iOS 4 on iPhone 2 kills the performance

Post by oldroguer »

I'm seeing the same lag with action button names as NightHawk on my 8GB 3G.

Also, CD you promised that slimes wouldn't split when hit with a War Hammer....NOT. I was so happy to find a WH in my first 1.52 game, then ran across a slimey, and WHACK! SPLIT! ICK! <sigh> It's only happened once, but I'll report back if it repros.

Two sluggish things that I'm really being pestered by are Search and Rest. I used to be able to tap as rapidly as I pleased on either. Sure this caused me grief at times (busily searching while a dragon sneaks up on me), but I used it all the time. Now I have to Tap, Pause, Wait for Message, Tap, Pause, etc. On the silver lining side, I sure do like the less frequent "You found $$" messages!
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Glad that you're seeing some fair improvements even on older devices, and we've stopped the major bleeding for iOS 4. I'm going to come back here in the morning and try to address these open issues and discuss where things need to go from here to further improve Rogue Touch. Stay tuned! :mrgreen:
iCarbon

Post by iCarbon »

Hey Commander D.

I just installed 1.52 on my iPhone4, and I noticed one (thankfully minor) issues: whenever I view an item or take an action, the top chioce (aka "wield" on a weapon) shows up blank at first, then slowly fills in. I can ignore it, but it does look like a bug.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good -- although with superspeed, holding down the "search" button makes me search some unknown, but huge, number of times.

Thanks for the updates!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

iCarbon wrote:Hey Commander D.

I just installed 1.52 on my iPhone4, and I noticed one (thankfully minor) issues: whenever I view an item or take an action, the top chioce (aka "wield" on a weapon) shows up blank at first, then slowly fills in. I can ignore it, but it does look like a bug.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good -- although with superspeed, holding down the "search" button makes me search some unknown, but huge, number of times.

Thanks for the updates!
Yep, the blank buttons until the screen stops sliding in are a known issue now, more details on that one coming.

Funny you mention the search being faster, some others have said the opposite, in that searching or resting is slower for them. For the record my iPhone 4 seems to be leaning towards very fast in search/rest, but not quite the blazing number of times you see. Makes me wonder what's really going on in iOS 4 and threading and multitasking... Things seem very different from user to user in iOS 4 :evil:
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

oldroguer wrote: Also, CD you promised that slimes wouldn't split when hit with a War Hammer....NOT. I was so happy to find a WH in my first 1.52 game, then ran across a slimey, and WHACK! SPLIT! ICK! <sigh> It's only happened once, but I'll report back if it repros.
Actually I did promise that slimes would not split when *HIT* with War Hammer. That much is true. Slimes still act like excited little puppies and quiver and split if you *MISS* with a War Hammer :lol:

Basically they have a chance of splitting if either hit or missed with any weapon. The War Hammer will no longer allow them the chance to split if it hits, because it's a heavy blunt object, not a pointed or bladed weapon. Maybe I can be nice and make the War Hammer work both ways for you, but what you see was my actual intent ;)
oldroguer

Post by oldroguer »

OK I see...well then it's working as you intend. I thought I'd found another bug. Thanks for clarifying.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Revisiting the drawing code further last night and today, I have found a couple more ways to improve iOS 4 performance. Tests show that the mini-map drawing is still a problem, also any attempt to play at 50%-75% zoom levels. I came up with a pseudo "run-length-encoding" method for drawing the mini-map in a series of horizontal lines rather than individual tiles. Also found a way to overlap the end of turn screen refresh with the input delay for your next turn!

Early results show this is fast. Even faster than v1.52 in the store now! On my iPhone 4 it appears to have eliminated the occasional lags, and the slight but noticeable slowdown as you explore more of the map in 1.52 seems to be gone as well.

I am going to make some further changes and keep testing (maybe add a couple of new items in too ;) ), and will likely submit version 1.53 after the weekend!
Geddy

Post by Geddy »

Hi guys, I am a longtime lurker here and LOVE RT....but even with the current updates, it still alternates running from very fast too VERY slow...I have an Iphone 3G with OS4...I can't seem to find any reason or constant as to why...

In any case, I love the idea of a shop to spend the gold, and offer this idea for a new scroll: Restore Armor. Any thoughts?

Also, how about a potion of Shield that temp improves AC?

I can't tell you how much time I waste on RT, but it's well spent! :D
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Geddy wrote:Hi guys, I am a longtime lurker here and LOVE RT....but even with the current updates, it still alternates running from very fast too VERY slow...I have an Iphone 3G with OS4...I can't seem to find any reason or constant as to why...

In any case, I love the idea of a shop to spend the gold, and offer this idea for a new scroll: Restore Armor. Any thoughts?

If you play Rogue Touch while zoomed out (50% zoom) it will generally get slower as you fill up more of the screen and mini map.

Interesting to hear your report of a 3G with iOS 4, as that is about the slowest device that will allow 4 to be installed on it (at 400Mhz I believe). Do you have any push e-mail (or auto polling every X minutes) or other push notifications turned on? I know that Rogue Touch slows down for me even on a speedy iPhone 4 when I receive e-mail in the background. It then resumes normal speed afterward.

Fortunately I have solutions for nearly all of that slowness coming in the next update, along with a lot of other great stuff! We're testing and making last minute changes today, but hopefully it will get submitted to Apple tonight.

----

I do like the "Restore Armor" idea, the way my data works we'd only be able to restore to "base value" of a normal set of that armor. Expect something more advanced like this to appear in Spirit Hunter Mineko though, as I am carefully preparing for all sorts of temporary status effects. Even Rust/Corrosion is a temporary effect if you have the right items to fix them :D

There will be at least one new scroll and one new potion in the next Rogue Touch update. The potion is particularly cool, but both of them are very useful items :mrgreen:

Oh, and Rogue Touch EX will be getting a shop/wandering merchant of sorts. I haven't made the official announcement here because I granted exclusive details to TouchArcade for their weekend story. Read a little bit about Rogue Touch EX here
Geddy

Post by Geddy »

CommanderData wrote:
Geddy wrote:Hi guys, I am a longtime lurker here and LOVE RT....but even with the current updates, it still alternates running from very fast too VERY slow...I have an Iphone 3G with OS4...I can't seem to find any reason or constant as to why...

If you play Rogue Touch while zoomed out (50% zoom) it will generally get slower as you fill up more of the screen and mini map.

Interesting to hear your report of a 3G with iOS 4, as that is about the slowest device that will allow 4 to be installed on it (at 400Mhz I believe). Do you have any push e-mail (or auto polling every X minutes) or other push notifications turned on? I know that Rogue Touch slows down for me even on a speedy iPhone 4 when I receive e-mail in the background. It then resumes normal speed afterward.

Fortunately I have solutions for nearly all of that slowness coming in the next update, along with a lot of other great stuff! We're testing and making last minute changes today, but hopefully it will get submitted to Apple tonight.

----

I do like the "Restore Armor" idea, the way my data works we'd only be able to restore to "base value" of a normal set of that armor. Expect something more advanced like this to appear in Spirit Hunter Mineko though, as I am carefully preparing for all sorts of temporary status effects. Even Rust/Corrosion is a temporary effect if you have the right items to fix them :D

There will be at least one new scroll and one new potion in the next Rogue Touch update. The potion is particularly cool, but both of them are very useful items :mrgreen:

Oh, and Rogue Touch EX will be getting a shop/wandering merchant of sorts. I haven't made the official announcement here because I granted exclusive details to TouchArcade for their weekend story. Read a little bit about Rogue Touch EX here

So, when you say restore to the base armor, does that mean if I find a +2 Plate for example, and that gets hits three times by an Aquator that turns the Plate Mail into -1 armor....that a scroll of restore armor would return it to the +2 Plate (hopefully!!!!) or would it just convert it to 'normal' Plate Mail? :?: