Rogue Touch squashes incoming calls?

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
BigDrahma

Rogue Touch squashes incoming calls?

Post by BigDrahma »

Hi guys. I love your game... it's the first version of Rogue I've found to be as compulsively irresistible as Izuna and the like. I've always liked the idea of Rogue, but the implementation stopped me until Rogue Touch came out. Fantastic game.

Now. About that bug. I probably should put this in the bugs thread, but there's like 15 conversations going on all at once and I'm worried that this would go unnoticed.

I found out that Rogue Touch prevents incoming calls from reaching the iPhone today when my fiancee called from Chicago and yelled at me for not picking up last night when she called. I confirmed it with a friend just now, having RT on while he tried to call me. One ring, straight to voicemail, as if my phone was off.

I'm running an iPhone 3G 16GB, firmware 2.2.1.

Now, under normal circumstances, I'd be happy with this (uninterrupted dungeon hacking ftw!) but since I just lost some brownie points a week before our anniversary, I now have to make it up to her. Can you guys look into this? Anyone else able to confirm this issue?

In summary: love the game, mostly love that I get no calls during it... mostly. :mrgreen:
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Rogue Touch squashes incoming calls?

Post by CommanderData »

BigDrahma- that's very interesting that you experienced blocked calls through to voicemail- I actually explicitly checked for that and on both 1st gen iPhones I have access to we were able to both receive calls and text messages when playing rogue touch. I don't have a 3G phone handy here yet, but read on for more info:

A few more questions for you about your 3G Phone- is it jailbroken? If not, do you use e-mail on it regularly? Is it set to auto-check, or do you use a push service like Yahoo, MobileMe or Microsoft exchange? If the phone was connected to the low speed EDGE network (bad 3G signal likely?) and retrieved e-mail in the background while playing Rogue Touch it would block any incoming calls while doing so. Just yesterday Jessica received a call while playtesting a few features in RT here, so I know we didn't break anything yet :)

Let me know, and if you could, try to arrange a couple of tests where you have someone call and text you specifically while playing. If you can't get a friend to help, PM me with your contact info and I'll call your device :lol:
BigDrahma

Post by BigDrahma »

My phone is absolutely not jailbroken. I have e-mail set to manual fetch. I am in downtown Portland, OR, where 3G is plentiful. I tested exactly s you said last night, which is what prompted my post. I had a friend call me while I had RT going. One ring, straight to voicemail was his response, and I never felt so much as a vibration, nor did I receive a "missed call" note when I quit RT and put the phone into sleep and back out of sleep. I had five bars, 3G enabled.

I hope this helps.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

I get calls all the time when on Rogue Touch.

They never go straight to voicemail.

3G, 16Gig iphone.
BigDrahma

Post by BigDrahma »

So perhaps we're looking at something different between our phones. Ranger, do you set your phone to Silent/Vibrate? Do you also have vibration on in RT?

I'm going to reset my iPhone again and see if it helps.

EDIT: Alright, that did it. When in doubt, reset... twice! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the "oh noes BUGZ!" post. Love your game, and I can't wait for 1.3!
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Ranger wrote:I get calls all the time when on Rogue Touch.

They never go straight to voicemail.

3G, 16Gig iphone.

Ranger, Thanks for the 3G data point :)

BigDrahma wrote:So perhaps we're looking at something different between our phones. Ranger, do you set your phone to Silent/Vibrate? Do you also have vibration on in RT?

I'm going to reset my iPhone again and see if it helps.

EDIT: Alright, that did it. When in doubt, reset... twice! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the "oh noes BUGZ!" post. Love your game, and I can't wait for 1.3!

BigDrahma, I'm so glad to hear it was as simple as a reboot and it doesn't tarnish your opinion of the game! :D We're working hard to have 1.3 ready soon. Maybe not in time for the weekend though, especially with how unpredictable Apple's approvals are... :mrgreen:
BigDrahma

Post by BigDrahma »

You guys have had me hook-line-and-sinker since 1.1 (I bought at 1.0, but didn't play until 1.1 when you let me use my own music). It's my #1 commuter app. I take the bus to and from work, so I get an hour each day to just relax, and your game really does that for me. I'd been looking for a game to replace Strategery (they changed their AI slightly after an update, which ruined the experience for me). Your game is tops.

I also love the ability to switch on or off all the options you add. That really is important for me to be able to do.

Thanks again for being so helpful to us users, and to always improving the game. I can't wait to start contributing to the features thread.

Thanks again!