Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
lr100

features

Post by lr100 »

As part of playing your own music, can we have the option to turn off music and sounds completely? That way I can play Rogue in my business meetings.
Detzlink

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by Detzlink »

Well, First of all i think you guys are doing an excellent job here and i aprecciate that.

About the Feature requests I support the global and local rankings to compare our progress with others around us.
I think swiping the screen would be useful for shooting arrows.
I heard some ppl asking for D-pad, well i think its rogue TOUCH so we should use as much as we can the touch screen D-pad would make it clumsier, but of course if its optional, then i have no problem. Also, double tapping to run would stop us from walking fast.
Definitely add enviromental sounds (footsteps, growls, etc etc)
It would be nice to see the amount of gold we had the we died and other custom information and different characters graphics to customize our rogue.
and of course a way to stay in the inventory after u equipped an armor or put on a ring.

Besides that, the game is very good, keep up the good work! :D
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

After playing more, I have an additional request: I really would like a way of more quickly (from a UI perspective) swapping equipped items. Once you get down to level 12+, you need to frequently switch what you are wearing and it takes a lot of "taps." Rings especially since you need to be careful about food consumption. I don't know how it would be done, but right now to switch a ring you need to do 6 steps to swap one ring or armor for another. maybe some way to tap on the item icon (this would necessitate more icons though for rings) which would bring a popup with choices (remove completely or a list of alternate items of the same type to switch to). Yes, it takes multiple "game" turns to make the switch, and that's ok -- i am perfectly fine with letting game time move the appropriate number of turns without my input -- i just don't want to actually go through all the screens and taps every time I want to switch one ring for another. Maybe others have ideas on how to streamline this better, but I'm sure it's something that anyone who has 3 rings, 2 armors, and 2 weapons to juggle would greatly appreciate! :-)

-dave

ps - another idea: in the inventory screen after you tap on the equipped item, the list of choices currently says 'remove/throw/drop' - could you include 'swap with X' choices as well that would list the other items you could potentially trade it with? Or, add a choice called 'Change' or 'Swap' which would bring up a list on a following screen. That would cut the total user steps to 3 (harder to implement) or 4 (easier to implement but better than the current 6 steps!)
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Detzlink wrote:Well, First of all i think you guys are doing an excellent job here and i aprecciate that.

About the Feature requests I support the global and local rankings to compare our progress with others around us.
I think swiping the screen would be useful for shooting arrows.
I heard some ppl asking for D-pad, well i think its rogue TOUCH so we should use as much as we can the touch screen D-pad would make it clumsier, but of course if its optional, then i have no problem. Also, double tapping to run would stop us from walking fast.
Definitely add enviromental sounds (footsteps, growls, etc etc)
It would be nice to see the amount of gold we had the we died and other custom information and different characters graphics to customize our rogue.
and of course a way to stay in the inventory after u equipped an armor or put on a ring.

Besides that, the game is very good, keep up the good work! :D

Yes, I've been seeing a lot of requests for online stats! E-mail, forum posts, text messages from friends! That's a hot one for a future update (hopefully sooner than later). I have a lot to learn about servers, PHP, and network data transmission with the iPhone first :mrgreen:

A lot of these other items you mention are addressed in version 1.1, or will be asap after that is released ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence in us, we'll try not to let anyone down!

DaveH wrote:After playing more, I have an additional request: I really would like a way of more quickly (from a UI perspective) swapping equipped items. Once you get down to level 12+, you need to frequently switch what you are wearing and it takes a lot of "taps." Rings especially since you need to be careful about food consumption. I don't know how it would be done, but right now to switch a ring you need to do 6 steps to swap one ring or armor for another. maybe some way to tap on the item icon (this would necessitate more icons though for rings) which would bring a popup with choices (remove completely or a list of alternate items of the same type to switch to). Yes, it takes multiple "game" turns to make the switch, and that's ok -- i am perfectly fine with letting game time move the appropriate number of turns without my input -- i just don't want to actually go through all the screens and taps every time I want to switch one ring for another. Maybe others have ideas on how to streamline this better, but I'm sure it's something that anyone who has 3 rings, 2 armors, and 2 weapons to juggle would greatly appreciate! :-)

-dave

ps - another idea: in the inventory screen after you tap on the equipped item, the list of choices currently says 'remove/throw/drop' - could you include 'swap with X' choices as well that would list the other items you could potentially trade it with? Or, add a choice called 'Change' or 'Swap' which would bring up a list on a following screen. That would cut the total user steps to 3 (harder to implement) or 4 (easier to implement but better than the current 6 steps!)
Inventory management is probably the one of the other hot topics I've seen! space at the bottom of the screen may be at a premium if we try to put in four boxes (one weapon, one armor and one for the ring on each hand). Initially we thought about showing it all there, but the rings are kind of useless to look at as they're all gold circles! :lol: Armor and weapons are at least identifiable there, and help you to remember what you're wielding and wearing.

I do like the idea of a "swap" button in the inventory though! That could work out quite well, it'd still take a few taps to get there, but once you tapped the "Swap with X" button you would boot to the dungeon and watch as the steps required were performed auto-magically :D

Programing that could be a bitch, but it's definitely got some appeal!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Re: Rogue Touch --- Version 1.1

Post by CommanderData »

lr100 wrote:As part of playing your own music, can we have the option to turn off music and sounds completely? That way I can play Rogue in my business meetings.
:D Awesome. Yes, you'll be able to turn off *all* audio AND *all* vibrations so you can go in stealth mode if you want :lol:
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug fix. When you die and the end screen comes up with the scrolling text, I would really like to be able to tap to skip that end scene.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

lr100 wrote:Not sure if this is a feature or a bug fix. When you die and the end screen comes up with the scrolling text, I would really like to be able to tap to skip that end scene.
There is actually a specific delay in there to allow the scrolling message to appear and the music to play. Since you will have the ability to turn off the music in version 1.1, we may have to make that entire thing variable speed! Of course, winning has similar conditions, but it'll be a while before too many people see it :lol:
lr100

Post by lr100 »

Please don't add much new to the game! I know this is counter intuitive, but what makes people buy Rogue Touch is that is reminds them of the "good old days" of gaming. Plus the game as currently implemented is really just about right. I am worried that as you add more and more features, you turn the game from Rogue Touch into SomethingElse Touch. The look and feel, the game play, and the game balance are all what draws me to play the game. I really would hate to see it spoiled by adding new uneccessary things. I would suggest that you create a new game with lots of "cool" features in it and leave this one as is. Please don't spoil it!
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

lr100 wrote:Please don't add much new to the game! I know this is counter intuitive, but what makes people buy Rogue Touch is that is reminds them of the "good old days" of gaming. Plus the game as currently implemented is really just about right. I am worried that as you add more and more features, you turn the game from Rogue Touch into SomethingElse Touch. The look and feel, the game play, and the game balance are all what draws me to play the game. I really would hate to see it spoiled by adding new uneccessary things. I would suggest that you create a new game with lots of "cool" features in it and leave this one as is. Please don't spoil it!
Thank you for the passionate argument against updates!! :lol:

I do agree completely with the idea that tinkering too much makes it very much SomethingElse Touch!

Version 1.1 is mainly for control and misc feature enhancements. The few new pieces of equipment should not upset the apple cart (so to speak), especially seeing that depending on which classic rogue you used to play, there may have already been shurikens, katanas, and hallucination potions. There are a few extra magic effects that can be received on weapons, but the odds are highly stacked toward normal Rogue equipment. Basically, version 1.1 is probably a near perfect balance point.

I think that version 1.2 and 1.3 will definitely bring changes that are too advanced for a "vanilla" rogue... (think of those changes as a test-bed for something more advanced like Angband). We will probably need to have an option for classic versus advanced gameplay modes. I'd say our user group is about 60-40 split right now between people who've played at least one Roguelike, and those that are being exposed to rogue for the first time now! Does that mean that classic should be the default gameplay style? As always, I'd really like to hear more opinions on this! :mrgreen:
gaerisl

Post by gaerisl »

i agree with the on/off option for additional features in rogue. I have not yet tried the new v1.1 yet, however, after hearing the of the new super-armors and the auto-notification system of the existence of it, i'm a little worried that the game will all of a sudden become much too easy- and scoreboards will be filled with lots and lots of people going all the way to lvl 26 and coming back up with no sweat.

i have no complaints about extra features. just keep the game hard. lol.