Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by CommanderData »

gaerisl, I love posts like yours! I need some time to compose my response so check back here in a bit :mrgreen:
fafner

Post by fafner »

How about a directional pad?
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

fafner, I wouldn't say that a control d-pad is impossible, but if we do implement an optional one it would be a ways down the road.

Gaerisl, CD wanted me to say he hasn't forgotten about your great post! Once tired of coding he'll be back to discuss it with you in depth :D
kirothak

Post by kirothak »

wow I must say this is the best incarnation of rogue i have ever played! you get the true rogue experience but with much more intuitive and user friendly controls/interface, which honestly was rogues greatest downfall.

I am really excited about the first update and those to follow namely the shop hehe maybe then i can actually beat rogue rofl.

anyway a few small ideas. one is about earlier posts about firing projectile weapons. I had an idea of how to make it ezer though how hard or ez it would be to implement i haven't a clue. anyway I think the best control would be for you to touch the center/char then swipe out in the direction to shoot, hmm hope i discribed that well enough.

also as much as i am looking forward to the new content I think some hardcore old school rogue fans may not like to much being changed, an idea I had was to always have a "classic" mode option to play it the old school way (pretty much the way it is atm)

anyway keep up the great work and i hope rogue touch sells like mad and makes you guys filthy rich cuz you deserve it ^_^
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I said it in my first post but I'll reiterate that you've done a great job with this first release!

Here are a few things I'd like to see (some have been mentioned already, so I'm adding my support):
1. Either increase of identity scrolls and/or identify the item when equipped (this does happen for armor, but nothing else)
2. one or more shops.
3. make it easier to 'run' - i vote for the double-tap to run until you encounter something (item/monster/door/wall/fork-in-road)
4. make it easier to shoot - i was thinking maybe tapping the little picture of your weapon (which would be a bow) could bring up the direction arrows (with a cancel in case it was accidental)
5. Can you make the zoom out/in less sensitive? Right now it works so fast it is hard to find a useful stopping point.
6. when you die, can you display some additional stats like the overall score you got (according to your calculation)?
7. Can you add the ability to destroy an item instead of just dropping it?
8. can you make an option for rest until healed/attacked? maybe double tapping on the rest icon would start/stop resting in this manner?
9. Can you make it possible to go back to the main menu without having to quit the entire application? This would probably apply to any options you are going to add as well (turning on/off sound for example)

Again, great job!

-dave
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

DaveH wrote:I said it in my first post but I'll reiterate that you've done a great job with this first release!

Here are a few things I'd like to see (some have been mentioned already, so I'm adding my support):
1. Either increase of identity scrolls and/or identify the item when equipped (this does happen for armor, but nothing else)
2. one or more shops.
3. make it easier to 'run' - i vote for the double-tap to run until you encounter something (item/monster/door/wall/fork-in-road)
4. make it easier to shoot - i was thinking maybe tapping the little picture of your weapon (which would be a bow) could bring up the direction arrows (with a cancel in case it was accidental)
5. Can you make the zoom out/in less sensitive? Right now it works so fast it is hard to find a useful stopping point.
6. when you die, can you display some additional stats like the overall score you got (according to your calculation)?
7. Can you add the ability to destroy an item instead of just dropping it?
8. can you make an option for rest until healed/attacked? maybe double tapping on the rest icon would start/stop resting in this manner?
9. Can you make it possible to go back to the main menu without having to quit the entire application? This would probably apply to any options you are going to add as well (turning on/off sound for example)

Again, great job!

-dave
I'm glad that you like the first release! :D The goal was to put out a complete, but updated version of Rogue and I think we hit that pretty close to the mark. Now is the time to make it even better and add various features that increase both the fun and challenge!

Some greater degree of auto-indentification is happening already in the game, just not immediately obvious. Like when you zap a staff or wand- if there was a recognizable effect (such as your opponent catching fire!) it is identified automatically. Scrolls and Potions fall into the same category, if there's a recognizable effect they are identifed (if you only have one, you wouldn't notice until you pick up another later though. It's more obvious when you have a stack of three green potions for example). Weapons were never identified before in Rogue without a scroll, but I think we have a good compromise in mind- the weapon's stats would be revealed once you attacked a monster! I'll ask CommanderData if he can get that squeezed into the first update before it's submitted.

Double tap running will be in the first update, it will be an option that you can enable or disable in the preferences (in case some of you prefer the normal control- I think CD still does :P )

We'll try to tweak the zoom speed down a bit. If you've played with it, you may notice there are only 4 distinct levels of zoom you can stop at- 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%. That's because the graphics looked cleaner at those levels of zoom. Zooming may become almost unnecessary once you see the doors on the mini-map. Our test version has definitely improved how I play, I've just about stopped using the zoom now!

I think additional death stats ties into some posts we've had here and at touchArcade about an online leaderboard... We want to track and show a lot of game statistics at some point.

There will probably be a couple of ways you can destroy items in upcoming releases! Some of them may not be to your advantage though :lol:

As for rest/heal until attacked, it's something that we'll definitely try out after version 1.1... Not sure if/when it will be an official feature, I'll have to ask the man behind the xcode. :geek:

Getting back to the main screen may be a tough one- we don't want to pollute the interface with too many buttons... especially not with one that would cause you to bail out of your game randomly (even if you could go right back with resume!) I think that the various defaults and options are going to end up in the preferences app. You might have noticed some of your other apps and games in there now- games like Fieldrunners and Aurora Feint do that already.

kirothak- always love to hear a good word about our game! your idea of swiping to shoot is one we're looking at for version 1.2. We're going to test out a number of different options soon... I think you're right about a classic and advanced option, we're going to be treading a fine line here between Rogue purists and those who'd wish we would hurry up and start on Angband!!! Oh, and we're not filthy rich yet :lol: but we're in this for the fun either way!
kirothak

Post by kirothak »

Jessica wrote: kirothak- always love to hear a good word about our game! your idea of swiping to shoot is one we're looking at for version 1.2. We're going to test out a number of different options soon... I think you're right about a classic and advanced option, we're going to be treading a fine line here between Rogue purists and those who'd wish we would hurry up and start on Angband!!! Oh, and we're not filthy rich yet :lol: but we're in this for the fun either way!
hehe glad you agree and yahh rogue purists can be a scary bunch hehe ;-p though what it really comes down to is how much can be changed before a rogue incarnation becomes a rogue-like rather then rogue, thats a hard line to draw really thus a classic option keeps everyone happy hehe.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Jessica,

Thanks for the detailed reply. You guys are really giving the users a ton of support/feedback and that's very much appreciated.

I think it will help a lot once you get some more documentation available; a lot of my questions are now being answered by reading the FAQ someone linked to earlier (http://www.monmouth.com/~colonel/rvm.html).

re: zoom; I think you are right, once I can see doors on the mini-map i doubt i will need to zoom anymore.

I still would like a way to restart the game without having to go back to the home screen and back into the app. That was the main reason I asked to go back to the menu...

regarding the shop idea -- if you only have 1, maybe it should be available about half-way down (in the level 12-15 range). That way we could have the chance to fill in some holes that the random generator left us with. Lately I've been getting a good idea at around level 10-12 if it is worth continuing the game. I know you guys are making more items available than the original, but it still feels very sparse, and it seems like each game tends to favor one particular type of item (e.g., one game i'll get a ton of scrolls, another game a ton of potions, another game a ton of wands/staffs, etc.) of course you have to be careful, we don't want to make the game too easy... :-)

finally, i'd really like to see a bit more info in the game (EXP for example) now that i know more about how it works. I think CD mentioned this might be a toggle option where the descriptive title of your rank goes (touching it would switch the display i guess), and i like that idea. it would be nice to also know how much EXP you have left to go for the next level, if it could fit in. Maybe show your current level number and then how much you have left to go?

thanks again for the hard work you have put in, and i look forward to your future updates and (crossing fingers) angband release!

-dave
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

A good way to tweak the difficulty a bit without touching the monster data would be to mix up the starting equipment a bit. Easier difficulty levels get more and better starting equipment, harder difficulty levels get less and worse. Maybe a "Ultra hardcore mode" where you start with one cursed weapon of aggravate monster and nothing else :)
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

DaveH,

We'll discuss the ability to go back to the main menu as an option in the future. Maybe a more elaborate gesture would be possible, like drawing an "X" on the screen? CD knows more about that type of stuff than I do, so we'll need to try things after version 1.1 is ready.

You shop ideas are similar to what we've been thinking about. You don't want it to show up too early, or too late. It'll definitely be helpful if the random generator has been really mean to you! Leprechauns will become much more valuable or dangerous (if you don't want to be pickpocketed)! We're looking at giving the random generator a few swift kicks in the pants too.

I think CD is looking at the experience thing later today. Maybe that will make it into the update if he's got enough time :lol:

Ihateants,
You must be looking over our shoulder! There's a few fun things we have in mind with that... once we wrap up the update for submission CD and I will spend some time detailing things here :D