Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Discussion about Rogue Touch for the iPhone and iPod Touch
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by CommanderData »

Rogue Touch version 1.0 is a complete, stand-alone game of Rogue. Rather than port an existing copy of Rogue, we have written it from scratch in order to put our own spin on the game and make it easy to play on the iPhone and iPod Touch. Most every item and monster from the original Rogue is available (depending on which Rogue variant you look at some have different monster lists), as well as a few new items and features.

Once you've had a chance to play the game we'd welcome additional suggestions and feature requests here.

Features we are currently considering for future updates:

* Multiple Difficulty Levels (we will expand on this concept in a future post!)
* Achievements (medals for performing various tasks both good and bad throughout the game!)
* Additional Equipment (new items in almost every category, magical and non magical)
Ihateants

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by Ihateants »

I have one request. I'm not exactly sure of the best way to implement it but some sort of Nethack style "run in a direction until you hit something" would make traversing the dungeons a lot easier than holding down a direction.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Ihateants wrote:I have one request. I'm not exactly sure of the best way to implement it but some sort of Nethack style "run in a direction until you hit something" would make traversing the dungeons a lot easier than holding down a direction.
Absolutely, we're discussing the same thing right now (a few touchArcade users mention the same thing);

Lets get some opinions on this:

For a fast-play style of movement (where you just keep moving until a wall, door, monster, or item is reached) what is everyone's preferred method:

1) Swipe in the direction you want to run
2) Double Tap in the direction you want to run

or

3) I have a better idea--- tell us what it is :D
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

My initial reaction would be double tap but on reflection you'd probably end up triggering it while moving around normally. Swipe might be a little clumsy. You might end up triggering directions you don't want to go.

Would small semi-transparent fast move direction icons on the screen edges get in the way? Leave normal movement as it is but put special icons for fast move. Perhaps a toggle setting if people don't want it.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Ihateants wrote:My initial reaction would be double tap but on reflection you'd probably end up triggering it while moving around normally. Swipe might be a little clumsy. You might end up triggering directions you don't want to go.

Would small semi-transparent fast move direction icons on the screen edges get in the way? Leave normal movement as it is but put special icons for fast move. Perhaps a toggle setting if people don't want it.
Also a good suggestion. When I think of that, I think of the scroll-lock toggle (I believe that was it!) for fast-play on the DOS version of Rogue. Maybe a button you could toggle would be the way to go. We'll keep taking suggestions for a few days and then try out some ideas!
Elliot

Post by Elliot »

Another vote for the double tap.

Two features I'd like to see are:
- the ability to listen to your music while you play.
- landscape mode.

Thanks for a great games!
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

Elliot wrote:Another vote for the double tap.

Two features I'd like to see are:
- the ability to listen to your music while you play.
- landscape mode.

Thanks for a great games!
I vote for those two features too. Especially the user soundtrack. I had to interrupt Slayer to play Rogue tonight and I can assure you they were not amused :)
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Landscape may be a tough one to implement this late in the design (the tle engine is kinda hard-coded for vertical right now... I know, we'll beat ourselves up for that one), but we'll look into that as a more major overhaul occurs in the lifetime of Rogue Touch.

Playing your own music, on the other hand is a fairly simple request, and I think we can accomplish that with a settings profile in the next update. We certainly don't want to get on Slayer's bad side, although I haven't listened to them in a long time, so they're probably already upset with me! :D

On the subject of music, would you prefer to be able to hear any future sound effects we implement while listening to your music (combat, growls, etc) or would you rather have it all turn off at once while listening to your own tunes??
Ihateants

Post by Ihateants »

Would that be easy to make optional in settings? I can see times when I'd do both.
CommanderData
Site Admin

Post by CommanderData »

Ihateants wrote:Would that be easy to make optional in settings? I can see times when I'd do both.
Yes, that could probably be an option too. So for audio, you'd have two switches, one that turns off the ambient background so you can play your own tunes, and a second one that turns off any combat sounds we overlay. Sound fair? :)