Post by jhawk »

2 words - useless complication

Your already dead and the items re randomize

Maybe that's jut the poker player in me talking, but keep it simple

*still waiting for a 1.6+ requests thread*
DaveS

Re: Feature Requests for Rogue Touch

Post by DaveS »

I disagree that it is a useless complication. Having your items ID'd at death (or after a win if that ever happens) is pretty standard in a lot of Rogue-like games and it's a feature that I miss as well. Maybe in this particular iteration where there are so few items as compared to Nethack (and far fewer ways to ID them) it isn't as important, but in the more complicated games it can actually help you in future tries. If nothing else, seeing what equipment people had when they put up a great score is fun enough to make it worth it.

Dave
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

um...the items are completely different every game, a blue potion of confusion this game might be a blue potion of poison the next. Which means all you could do is wish you had used some other random item then the one you used.

It's like finishing the flop after the fold...

If you really want to know what something is you have 2 options

Done die

Use it
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Yes, the items are different every time that is true. However, part of getting good at Rogue-like games comes from getting better at ID'ing items. Assuming that this version of Rogue is coded similarly to other versions, you will begin to be able to ID items by their frequency (or rarity) as well as other little tricks. If you have five of one potion and one of the rest, chances are the five represent healing potions so there is no reason to waste a scroll on them. Not having access to the source code there is no way to know if my previous assertion is true, which is perhaps another reason to be able to see what items are after failing an attempt. Still, if you die it is fun to see if you guessed correctly. Being able to see if you have correctly identified an otherwise unknown item is part of the fun for some people. That being said, CD has given us some extra methods of ID'ing items which helps quite a bit, and the number of items available and the ways of identifying them are small enough that I can live without the feature. I would still like to see it, but it isn't a game breaker for sure. Obviously the developers of most major rogue-likes out there did not feel this feature was either "useless" or "complicated" or it wouldn't be a fairly standard feature in such games.

Dave
CommanderData
Site Admin
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChronoSoft

Post by CommanderData »

Hey guys, that is an interesting discussion about item identification on your death (or victory)! I do know that some roguelikes perform this function... I am unsure if any original version of rogue did so on your death. I think several of them did when you WON though.

I agree it's a fun feature, even if the knowledge is useless for the next playthough. It is more so you could slap yourself and say "what if I had used *that* item... maybe I'd still be alive! We will look at that one carefully. I can say we won't see it in version 1.6, but possibly before 2.0 :D

Anyway--- This thread is getting too large for anyone new to know what we've been talking about. I think it is time to lock this one and start a new Feature Request thread. Maybe I can maintain the first post of that one a bit so that we can have a short-list of good ideas that will be picked from in upcoming versions as well! :mrgreen:

Enough time for a few more posts here while I make the new thread, see you on the other side shortly ;)

OK, pencils down! This one's locked... move to the Part TWO feature request thread now :D